Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

26 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Has happened many times, come to an agreement in payout figures

If a player retires, their salary still falls under the cap. It prevents rorting by clubs. So people suggesting that BBB and Tmac should retire have no idea. That's the equivalent of approx. $1.3 mill of dead money in our cap.

Grundy has currency. Trade him.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, mo64 said:

If a player retires, their salary still falls under the cap. It prevents rorting by clubs. So people suggesting that BBB and Tmac should retire have no idea. That's the equivalent of approx. $1.3 mill of dead money in our cap.

Players have retired before under contract due to injuries, the payouts don't necessarily have to match the contract figure, we will wait and see what prevails.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mo64 said:

AFL rules allow for payouts due to long term injury. The amount included in the salary cap is agreed with the AFL. It's not 100% by any means. Commonly used for retirements due to concussion.

Where it becomes tough is the so called "Buddy Principle". When Sydney offered Buddy a contract going beyond his seemingly useful playing days the AFL said they would not allow the injury payout rule to be used if the the injury was age related wear and tear

• Like 1

And when Grundy is in the team next week against Goldstein, and here next year, who holds Barrett accountable?

The way he frames his speculation in such self assuredness that he is basically saying he knows for sure...

21st century media is a joke and their lack of accountability is a disgrace.

Edited by A F
  • Like 13

Now if we are really talking to Port, it will be fascinating what the deal could be and of course, it needs Grundy’s approval to occur.

If we are looking at Zane Duursma in the draft, could we go after his brother and maybe a key forward from Port as well, with something else involved, to do the deal.

Clearly the Pies money would have to be still involved, as I couldn’t see us paying any of BG’s contract.

Also we would have to have a mature ruck in sight, as our young rucks are not ready yet and we don’t want to destroy Max’s last few years of footy.

Alternatively, could we be going after Reid and believe if we can get him and  add an experienced key forward and then possibly draft another with a later pick, we will have achieved a great trade/draft period.

Then again could Barrett be completely wrong and BG stays a Demon. 

I find this whole get rid of Grundy scenario bizarre, given his early form, Max’s age and our current young ruckmen.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Well looks like we are leaking again if true.

If Goodwin did say anything to DB 'in confidence' then I wouldn't call that a leak, but a deliberate plan to get that info public knowing DB can';t be trusted. I can't see why he'd tell him anything in confidence if he thought he would not blab. What use does it serve MFC for DB to know anything and keep it to himself?  If he did say it to him 'in confidence' for some arcane reason and DB blabbed then no one will tell him anything in confidence again.   Most likely it's all hogwash.

• Like 1

Agree with @old55, people forget Max's influence behind this decision. Which is both annoying and strange. 

Max was never going to excel as a forward. 

Unless we can pick up a ready to go backup ruckman and a young developing one in the off season, Brodie won't be going anywhere. 

I think what we've done be giving Brodie some exposure to leading patters and forward craft at VFL is the right thing. 

And hopefully it pays off come finals. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Agree with @old55, people forget Max's influence behind this decision. Which is both annoying and strange. 

Max was never going to excel as a forward. 

Unless we can pick up a ready to go backup ruckman and a young developing one in the off season, Brodie won't be going anywhere. 

I think what we've done be giving Brodie some exposure to leading patters and forward craft at VFL is the right thing. 

And hopefully it pays off come finals. 

Yes Max over estimated his own ability to adapt to play effectively forward and here we are.

No surprise Max, being the champion he is, has come out with some great solo work while Brodie has gone back to Casey. But it can't continue through to the GF.

Brodie will come back, probably next week. Then it gets interesting.

Edited by old55
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, old55 said:

Yes Max over estimated his own ability to adapt to play effectively forward and here we are.

No surprise Max, being the champion he is, has come out with some great solo work while Brodie has gone back to Casey. But it can't continue through to the GF.

Brodie will come back, probably next week. Then it gets interesting.

I reckon the Collingwood game is the template. Max and Brodie were both very solid in that game...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, old55 said:

Max has 3 years left if he doesn't have to ruck full-time. The reason he played so well solo is because Grundy enabled him to have less load, but he can't sustain this. 

Max was behind recruiting Grundy and remains so. What's laughable is that people can't understand this.

I agree that the ‘whole point of this’ was to extend Gawn’s career but you do realise the big 208cm variable in all this. Max is an amazing player, a great captain, and a lovely person. He needs to do some reflection on the ‘whole point of it’ because he is the one that will make this work. IF we keep Grundy, Max needs to be the forward in that duo by 2024. The fact that he couldn’t make a fist of his hour forward and it affected his hour in the ruck is the crucible of 2023 for us and it has failed so far.

As an aside, we were in Brodies ear this time last year so if someone wants him then they will be in his ear now - if we can’t assuage Brodie that 2024 and beyond are different then we should put all our eggs in the JVR basket and give him reps as an AFL back up ruck the year out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sue said:

If Goodwin did say anything to DB 'in confidence' then I wouldn't call that a leak, but a deliberate plan to get that info public knowing DB can';t be trusted. I can't see why he'd tell him anything in confidence if he thought he would not blab. What use does it serve MFC for DB to know anything and keep it to himself?  If he did say it to him 'in confidence' for some arcane reason and DB blabbed then no one will tell him anything in confidence again.   Most likely it's all hogwash.

Or Goody is just trying to destabilise Port.

Edited by Redleg

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

I agree that the ‘whole point of this’ was to extend Gawn’s career but you do realise the big 208cm variable in all this. Max is an amazing player, a great captain, and a lovely person. He needs to do some reflection on the ‘whole point of it’ because he is the one that will make this work. IF we keep Grundy, Max needs to be the forward in that duo by 2024. The fact that he couldn’t make a fist of his hour forward and it affected his hour in the ruck is the crucible of 2023 for us and it has failed so far.

As an aside, we were in Brodies ear this time last year so if someone wants him then they will be in his ear now - if we can’t assuage Brodie that 2024 and beyond are different then we should put all our eggs in the JVR basket and give him reps as an AFL back up ruck the year out.

I agree with the first paragraph but you're writing off 2023 in the second and I'm unwilling to.

Max cannot go solo (ie with JVR) all the way into the GF, so we need to get Brodie back in, and as @A F says we won against Collingwood with them in tandem.

An interesting ingredient to add to your 2024 recipe is Brodie Grundy MFC Premiership player.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, old55 said:

I agree with the first paragraph but you're writing off 2023 in the second and I'm unwilling to.

Max cannot go solo (ie with JVR) all the way into the GF, so we need to get Brodie back in, and as @A F says we won against Collingwood with them in tandem.

An interesting ingredient to add to your 2024 recipe is Brodie Grundy MFC Premiership player.

It is interesting, I never believed ‘the ruck’ was the cause of our malaise, I wouldn’t have abandoned the Grundy/Gawn combo at all really, and I don’t buy the ‘Gawn can only play as sole ruck’ argument either - but we have to work with where the facts are and they have Grundy in the VFL in Rd 20 and another opportunity for a forward tandem to continue to displace him. 

It’s not that I have given up, it’s the current state of affairs that has Grundy as an underdog to win his spot back…

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, old55 said:

Did you pay any attention at all to Max's condition last year?

Did you pay any attention to Max driving Brodie's recruitment?

A third of the team were as banged up as Max last year, yes Max is getting closer to the end and will need to be managed more over the remainder of his career. Not sure we need a $600k a year backup ruck, GWS are going ok with their third choice ruck who’s probably on minimum pay. 

Just because Max was behind the idea and pushing for it doesn’t mean it was the right decision for the club. 

• Like 1

It seems to me that our tall forwards are bringing the ball to ground.

I dont have a problem with that with grundy up forward.

The collingwood game showed us how it could work.

Max to work behind the ball. Grundy swapping in the ruck and forward.

If anything the time at vfl would be practice for blocking and a possible training block

to prepare for finals

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rpfc said:

It is interesting, I never believed ‘the ruck’ was the cause of our malaise, I wouldn’t have abandoned the Grundy/Gawn combo at all really, and I don’t buy the ‘Gawn can only play as sole ruck’ argument either - but we have to work with where the facts are and they have Grundy in the VFL in Rd 20 and another opportunity for a forward tandem to continue to displace him. 

It’s not that I have given up, it’s the current state of affairs that has Grundy as an underdog to win his spot back…

The preferred structure across the journey has been 2 KPFs and 2 rucks. I predict Grundy comes in for a small e.g. Woey, especially with Clarrie getting back.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

A third of the team were as banged up as Max last year, yes Max is getting closer to the end and will need to be managed more over the remainder of his career. Not sure we need a $600k a year backup ruck, GWS are going ok with their third choice ruck who’s probably on minimum pay. 

Just because Max was behind the idea and pushing for it doesn’t mean it was the right decision for the club. 

But we don't need a "backup", we need someone who can capably share the ruck gametime with Max.

If TMac plays twice more this season the odds are he will sustain an injury to his legs or foot.

It won't be wear and tear .. it will be a career ending injury.

He will be clear to come to an agreement with the Club. 

Probably not so BBB

Max is suited to play behind the ball rather than forward.

That's why Grundy needs some forward craft to team with Max.

He's not going to be the full forward ffs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

10 minutes ago, old55 said:

The preferred structure across the journey has been 2 KPFs and 2 rucks. I predict Grundy comes in for a small e.g. Woey, especially with Clarrie getting back.

Maybe. I think that we have gone smaller and liked it. 

12 minutes ago, old55 said:

Just now, rpfc said:

Maybe. I think that we have gone smaller and liked it. 

And it has coincided with our most powerful weapon going forward in CP5.

I don’t think there is a functioning forward line in Petty, JVR, Grundy, Petracca, and the three speed forwards.

17 minutes ago, rpfc said:

And it has coincided with our most powerful weapon going forward in CP5.

I don’t think there is a functioning forward line in Petty, JVR, Grundy, Petracca, and the three speed forwards.

We'll see if they try it soon enough.

21 minutes ago, old55 said:

But we don't need a "backup", we need someone who can capably share the ruck gametime with Max.

Personally I am really happy with the combination we have this week with JVR and Petty giving Max a chop out. If we don’t get injuries and Petty and Tomlinson do their jobs hard to see Grundy getting back in. 

• Like 1