Jump to content

2022 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch


Whispering_Jack

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, IvanBartul13 said:
Brisbane Lions Will Ashcroft
North Melbourne  Aaron Cadman
West Coast Eagles George Wardlaw
GWS  Elijah Tsatas
Adelaide Harry Sheezel
Essendon Reuben Ginbey
Hawthorn  Jhye Clark
Port Adelaide Cameron MacKenzie
Gold Coast Jedd Busslinger
Western Bulldogs Josh Weddle
Richmond Matthew Jefferson
St Kilda Elijah Hewitt
Carlton Brayden George
Fremantle Mattaes Phillipou
Sydney Oli Hotton
Collingwood Harry Barnett
Sydney Isaac Keeler
Geelong Sam Gilbey
Brisbane Lions Jaspa Fletcher
Richmond Oliver Hollands
West Coast Eagles Bailey Humphrey
GWS  Jacob Konstanty
Adelaide Archie Lovelock
Essendon Henry Hustwaite
Hawthorn  Noah Long
Adelaide Max Michelanney
Gold Coast Lachlan Cowan
West Coast Eagles Rohan MacNeill
St Kilda Jakob Ryan
GWS  Harry Rowston
Western Bulldogs Felix Fogaty
Richmond Cooper Vickery
Carlton Harry Lemmey
Gold Coast Coby Burgiel
Sydney Oscar Murdoch
Fremantle Jasper Scaife
Gold Coast Tom Scully
Melbourne  Jackson Broadbent
Essendon Alwyn Davey
Geelong Adam D'aloia
Western Bulldogs Hudson O'Keefe
West Coast Eagles Darcy Jones
Melbourne  Jovan Petric
Collingwood Lewis Hayes
Gold Coast Mitch Szybkowski
St Kilda Pheonix Foster
Collingwood Toby McMullin
Collingwood  Kobe Ryan
Geelong Olivier Northam
Port Adelaide James Van Es
Hawthorn  Max Knobel
Geelong Charlie Clarke
Melbourne  Hugh Bond
North Melbourne  Blake Drury
Melbourne  Finn Emile-Brennan
West Coast Eagles Harry Cole
GWS  Dane Harvey
Port Adelaide Nathan Barkla
Essendon  Anthony Munkara
Adelaide Jaiden Magor
Hawthorn  Ben Hempel
St Kilda Beau Tedcastle
Western Bulldogs Darcy Edmonds
GWS  Luke Lawrence
Carlton  Tom McCallum
Fremantle Jonti Schuback
Brisbane Lions Jack Manly
Melbourne  Ryan Eyres
North Melbourne  Luke Teal
West Coast Eagles Jed Adams
Port Adelaide Nick Sadler
St Kilda Jaxon Binns
North Melbourne  Caleb Mitchell

Early First Round for next year -

1. Zane Duursma

2. Ashton Moir

3. Harley Reid

4. Archer Reid

5. Nick Watson

6. Mitchell Edwards

7. Alex Holt

8. Logan Morris

9. Luca Slade

10. Will Green

11. Clay Hall

12. Colby McKercher

13. Nate Caddy

14. Jed Walter

15. Coby James

16. Nathan Philactides

17. Ethan Read

18. Coen Livingstone

Wow, so Cadman at 2. Righto. Interesting. He probably goes West then.

Edited by A F
Derps, he'll go to North with the Ashcroft F/S
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Father-son does bias the draft but honestly I do love the connection of family to a footy club. It’s great to see Jack Viney in the red and blue, and enjoy telling my kids how good and tough his dad Todd Viney was.   Whilst it’s tough to see guns like Nick Daicos and Will Ashcroft not going to the bottom teams, it’s part of footy that shouldn’t be changed. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, A F said:

Wow, so Cadman at 2. Righto. Interesting. He probably goes West then.

I certainly wouldn't consider it gospel.  I just think it will be very difficult for North to overlook a good key forward with sound fundamentals after spending so much draft capital on stoppage midfielders in recent drafts.  Alastair Clarkson is a $1.30 favourite to be North's coach and the first draft he was at Hawthorn, the Hawks drafted Buddy and Roughead.  Some of the same list build fundamentals could see them look to establish Larkey/Cadman as the key forward spine for the Clarkson reign.    Positional scarcity is relevant as well, as is the fact you bed down a key forward combo you don't have to speculate with picks in subsequent drafts.  Cadman is reasonably bombproof.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nascent said:

Jack Delean caught my eye as well in the championships. Certainly looks an impressive group next year.

Very easily could end up right up there as well.  I'm pretty confident the top 8 2023ers listed will be high draft picks, Delean could easily be in that next batch.  WA have quite a few smaller types probably deserve to be listed there too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, IvanBartul13 said:

I certainly wouldn't consider it gospel.  I just think it will be very difficult for North to overlook a good key forward with sound fundamentals after spending so much draft capital on stoppage midfielders in recent drafts.  Alastair Clarkson is a $1.30 favourite to be North's coach and the first draft he was at Hawthorn, the Hawks drafted Buddy and Roughead.  Some of the same list build fundamentals could see them look to establish Larkey/Cadman as the key forward spine for the Clarkson reign.    Positional scarcity is relevant as well, as is the fact you bed down a key forward combo you don't have to speculate with picks in subsequent drafts.  Cadman is reasonably bombproof.

And then McKay down the other end.

In 2 years time their spine looks pretty good.

Have they nailed their midfield picks over the last few years is the question?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, A F said:

And then McKay down the other end.

In 2 years time their spine looks pretty good.

Have they nailed their midfield picks over the last few years is the question?

Debateable.  Davies-Uniacke seems to have emerged.  Horne-Francis is the elephant in the room.  The one other factor which i cant get a read on is they are thought to rate Charlie Comben highly and Edwards was highly touted draft pick, both are 200cm.  They might feel comfortable with those two.  
 

Either way, it will be difficult for a lot of clubs to overlook Cadman

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Callum Twomey reporting that “No.1 pick contender George Wardlaw returned to the field today after hamstring injuries ruled him out of the U18 champs. But unfortunately suffered another hamstring injury today at school level in opening few minutes. With a month to go that may be season over for him.”

The injury won’t stop him from being drafted but it could see him drop a place or two in some peoples’ rankings. I’ve seen him come up through the ranks of the juniors and he’s a quality midfield bull who should play AFL early next year. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Callum Twomey reporting that “No.1 pick contender George Wardlaw returned to the field today after hamstring injuries ruled him out of the U18 champs. But unfortunately suffered another hamstring injury today at school level in opening few minutes. With a month to go that may be season over for him.”

The injury won’t stop him from being drafted but it could see him drop a place or two in some peoples’ rankings. I’ve seen him come up through the ranks of the juniors and he’s a quality midfield bull who should play AFL early next year. 

is it pretty unusual for juniors coming thru these days to have multiple hamstring injuries?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Nascent. Yes, a month down the track and Cal Twomey has updated his form guide. I’ve had an opportunity to see vision of many of the top prospects now and I feel that the opportunity is there for Melbourne to find some talent to at least fill some of its  pressing needs at the draft notwithstanding that it’s first draft choice is currently in the mid 30s.

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' August ranking

It will become even more interesting if Luke Jackson decides to seek a return to his native WA (why anyone would want to wear that ghastly purple number is beyond me).

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Thanks Nascent. Yes, a month down the track and Cal Twomey has updated his form guide. I’ve had an opportunity to see vision of many of the top prospects now and I feel that the opportunity is there for Melbourne to find some talent to at least fill some of its  pressing needs at the draft notwithstanding that it’s first draft choice is currently in the mid 30s.

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' August ranking

It will become even more interesting if Luke Jackson decides to seek a return to his native WA (why anyone would want to wear that ghastly purple number is beyond me).

 

 

Its the money Jack! For the rumoured amount I would play in pink and purple polka dots.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, old dee said:

Its the money Jack! For the rumoured amount I would play in pink and purple polka dots.

And from memory, that would be an improvement on your normal attire. 

On the other hand, for someone with Luke Jackson’s abilities, the size of the cheque isn’t everything and another few years at the Melbourne Football Club might reap greater benefit during his time here as well as further down the track. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Whispering_Jack said:

And from memory, that would be an improvement on your normal attire. 

On the other hand, for someone with Luke Jackson’s abilities, the size of the cheque isn’t everything and another few years at the Melbourne Football Club might reap greater benefit during his time here as well as further down the track. 

But add the family pull and one in the hand is killing two in the bush.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, Jontee said:

Does every thread lead to Luke Jackson?

Definitely, until his playing future is resolved. If he does end up going back to WA, we can expect that to be a game changer for Melbourne which will suddenly find itself with a couple of high draft picks. LJ was taken at pick 3 and the club has invested three years of learning into him so that whoever he plays for in the next ten years will have an elite player for 10 years. That’s at least two top 5 picks and a player.

If he goes, then I would imagine that the Demons would try to gain Brodie Grundy as well as to pick up a young potential ruckman and one key position forward. Twomey’s form guide has some good prospects within a reasonable range that the club could aim to get. 

About a week ago I mentioned in the Jackson thread -

“Two key players in that draft pick conundrum might be South Australians Isaac Keeler (197cm) and Harry Barnett (202cm) who are both capable of being developed as key forwards or ruckmen. Together with JVR, they would provide us with the next generation tall timber to replace Jackson and cover for the coming retirements of Ben Brown and Tom McDonald.”

  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Elwood 3184 said:

About a week ago I mentioned in the Jackson thread -

“Two key players in that draft pick conundrum might be South Australians Isaac Keeler (197cm) and Harry Barnett (202cm) who are both capable of being developed as key forwards or ruckmen. Together with JVR, they would provide us with the next generation tall timber to replace Jackson and cover for the coming retirements of Ben Brown and Tom McDonald.”

I’ve had my eyes on both Barnett and Keeler because they look interesting types and fit our needs. Twomey has them at 26 and 29 respectively but I suspect both will go earlier than that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I’ve had my eyes on both Barnett and Keeler because they look interesting types and fit our needs. Twomey has them at 26 and 29 respectively but I suspect both will go earlier than that.

keeler is a crows NGA player but unlikely to get to the necessary 40 pick cutoff, i wonder if they go early on him given the rumours on frampton to pies, tex's age and mcaseys slow development. iirc he was top 10 if not top 5 in ed pascoes EARLY rankings as in end of season 21 rankings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Elwood 3184 said:

Definitely, until his playing future is resolved. If he does end up going back to WA, we can expect that to be a game changer for Melbourne which will suddenly find itself with a couple of high draft picks. LJ was taken at pick 3 and the club has invested three years of learning into him so that whoever he plays for in the next ten years will have an elite player for 10 years. That’s at least two top 5 picks and a player.

How do you see us getting those?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 84

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 419

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 45

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...