Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Farewell Luke Jackson


Lucifers Hero

Recommended Posts


Luke Jackson is getting talked down a fair bit and not surprising because he's leaving and that hurts. 

The work he does with ground balls is totally amazing for someone who can also ruck and mark capably. He's only 20, he'll be unstoppable when he fully matures. I can fully understand Freo's big interest.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What would we have to give up, pick wise for Grundy? is it a second rounder?

So, we could lose Jackson and get: 2 first rounders (make no mistake, that is what we want and will demand) and might secure Grundy for a second rounder?

It reads ok.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, old55 said:

Luke Jackson is getting talked down a fair bit and not surprising because he's leaving and that hurts. 

The work he does with ground balls is totally amazing for someone who can also ruck and mark capably. He's only 20, he'll be unstoppable when he fully matures. I can fully understand Freo's big interest.

Is his ground work enough to warrant $800k+ a year for the next 5 years?

His rucking & forward craft are not (yet)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

What would we have to give up, pick wise for Grundy? is it a second rounder?

So, we could lose Jackson and get: 2 first rounders (make no mistake, that is what we want and will demand) and might secure Grundy for a second rounder?

It reads ok.

The more we pay salary wise the less draft capital I would imagine.

At a guess, if we pay 900k we should be able to get away with a second rounder. If we only want to pay 600k Collingwood will probably ask for a 1st rounder and possibly more.

Depends how much we value salary cap space vs draft picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nascent said:

The more we pay salary wise the less draft capital I would imagine.

At a guess, if we pay 900k we should be able to get away with a second rounder. If we only want to pay 600k Collingwood will probably ask for a 1st rounder and possibly more.

Depends how much we value salary cap space vs draft picks.

The Treloar deal: (essentially a similar salary dump scenario)

DOGS GAVE UP: P14 & Future Second round selection

PIES GAVE UP: Treloar, picks 26, 33 & 42 

Clearly they have to get rid of money to keep DeGoey and Grundy is more replaceable than a game changing mid fwd. You would hope this would be second rounder and move on pretty quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, Nascent said:

The more we pay salary wise the less draft capital I would imagine.

At a guess, if we pay 900k we should be able to get away with a second rounder. If we only want to pay 600k Collingwood will probably ask for a 1st rounder and possibly more.

Depends how much we value salary cap space vs draft picks.

If Collingwood ask for too much the deal is off. 
They are the ones who have to offload McGuire’s ridiculous contract, we shouldn’t have to give up anything 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Nascent said:

The more we pay salary wise the less draft capital I would imagine.

At a guess, if we pay 900k we should be able to get away with a second rounder. If we only want to pay 600k Collingwood will probably ask for a 1st rounder and possibly more.

Depends how much we value salary cap space vs draft picks.

Pies had a decision to make between Grundy and De Goey and until recently they were happy to lose De Goey but now they've shifted due to his recent form. 

Bottom line is they can't sign McStay, Hill and Taranto as they're hoping unless Grundy leaves now. 

I don't think they'll be asking for a huge amount in the trade, it's really going to be more of a question of if the amount we're willing to pay is enough, i'd say neither us, nor the Cats could afford anywhere near his full salary

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, old55 said:

Luke Jackson is getting talked down a fair bit and not surprising because he's leaving and that hurts. 

The work he does with ground balls is totally amazing for someone who can also ruck and mark capably. He's only 20, he'll be unstoppable when he fully matures. I can fully understand Freo's big interest.

Viney's goal the other night wasa direct result of LJ's freakishness at ground level. Completely agree mate. Will be a star.

I think we'll be alright either way though.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Pies had a decision to make between Grundy and De Goey and until recently they were happy to lose De Goey but now they've shifted due to his recent form. 

Bottom line is they can't sign McStay, Hill and Taranto as they're hoping unless Grundy leaves now. 

I don't think they'll be asking for a huge amount in the trade, it's really going to be more of a question of if the amount we're willing to pay is enough, i'd say neither us, nor the Cats could afford anywhere near his full salary

IF we want Grundy I would be offering about $600k per year, with Pies to pay the rest and receive around pick 50.

If they don't like it Grundy can say he is staying.

Step 1 is to get Grundy onside and to say he will only go to the Dees or stay a Pie.  Then we do the negotiating.

I would never give the Pies a round one pick for him, nor would I accept two lowly round one picks for Jackson. That would be absolutely ridiculous, for trading a 20 year old potential champion, premiership player and former pick 3.

 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

IF we want Grundy I would be offering about $600k per year, with Pies to pay the rest and receive around pick 50.

If they don't like it Grundy can say he is staying.

Step 1 is to get Grundy onside and to say he will only go to the Dees or stay a Pie.  Then we do the negotiating.

I would never give the Pies a round one pick for him, nor would I accept two lowly round one picks for Jackson. That would be absolutely ridiculous, for trading a 20 year old potential champion, premiership player and former pick 3.

 

100% the conditions should be the trade is extremely favorable for us, and our medical staff get a really good look at Grundy to make sure they're confident they can get him fully fit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dwight Schrute said:

100% the conditions should be the trade is extremely favorable for us, and our medical staff get a really good look at Grundy to make sure they're confident they can get him fully fit.

I hope you're right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dwight Schrute said:

100% the conditions should be the trade is extremely favorable for us, and our medical staff get a really good look at Grundy to make sure they're confident they can get him fully fit.

He now has a stress fracture in his foot. Would need to be very careful. Pies may not be only wanting to salary dump, but crock dump too.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, old55 said:

Luke Jackson is getting talked down a fair bit and not surprising because he's leaving and that hurts. 

The work he does with ground balls is totally amazing for someone who can also ruck and mark capably. He's only 20, he'll be unstoppable when he fully matures. I can fully understand Freo's big interest.

I wouldn't say that I've been talking him down because of bitterness (and I'm not saying you're accusing me of that by the way). My point of view is more from the business standpoint. I'd love nothing more than to have Luke running round with us for many years to come because I do think he will develop into something amazing. The fact is he likely wants to go and as much as it will hurt I'm confident we can do very well out of a trade.

I also find the idea of tying so much  capital into one player a dangerous game. If another team wants to do it, then that's their choice, I'm all about what is best for our team going forward. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, layzie said:

I wouldn't say that I've been talking him down because of bitterness (and I'm not saying you're accusing me of that by the way). My point of view is more from the business standpoint. I'd love nothing more than to have Luke running round with us for many years to come because I do think he will develop into something amazing. The fact is he likely wants to go and as much as it will hurt I'm confident we can do very well out of a trade.

I also find the idea of tying so much  capital into one player a dangerous game. If another team wants to do it, then that's their choice, I'm all about what is best for our team going forward. 

That is why I want a key forward from Freo, a ruckman and a high pick, to get another key forward in the draft.

That would solve our key forward problems and with possibly Grundy, our ruck ones as well.

We can then look to improve the list again, through FA or draft.

Would it be a better list without Jacko, but with say Treacy, Meek, Cadman/Jefferson and Grundy? I would think so.

Key forwards JVR, Treacy, Cadman/Jefferson with BBB and Tom to mentor for one more year.

Max's career extended, by Grundy doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/goodwin-coy-on-demons-grundy-interest-price-freeze-on-afl-finals-tickets-20220810-p5b8p6.html

"Collingwood, who are once again trying to clear cash out of a bulging salary cap, are open to offers but only if clubs are willing to pay a significant portion of Grundy’s wage."

"While Fremantle refuse to comment publicly or privately about their wooing of Jackson, rival clubs believe the Dockers have tabled a six- or seven-year deal worth an average of $900,000 per season."

Article mentions Geelong and GWS interested in Grundy but his preference is to remain at Collingwood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope this is just due diligence. I just don’t see how tiring up that much cap for 5 years is worth it on a 2nd ruckman. 

And I know what the intention is with Gawn to be predominant forward, but what do they say about plans when it meets the enemy?

You have to trust this FD but, yeah, I would kick those tyres and then say no thanks unless the Pies want to bend over.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stress Fractures in the feet of a Ruckman doesn’t sound all that promising to me.
I am sure The Filth want a rival club to pay a huge slice of his salary. 
 

Be very wary Demons

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Luke Jackson Has Requested a Trade Home
  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to Is Jackson worth the money?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLINK OF AN EYE by The Oracle

    In the year 2022, we learned that the fine between ultimate success in sport and failure can be measured in the blink of an eye. The Melbourne Football Club began the year where it had left off in 2021 - as the powerhouse of the AFL men’s competition.  They steamed towards the halfway mark of the season taking all before them until their winning streak of ten in a row (17 overall since the latter part of the premiership season) came to a crushing end with consecutive losses at the hands of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    CHANGES 2022 Part 03 by The Oracle

    Part Three - Comparing apples with pomegranates by The Oracle One of the truly pointless exercises after each year’s draft is the game over which club “won” the period in question. The reality is that there is no winner or loser at the time and it’s only years further down the track when a full assessment of how the picks turn out can be made, that the winning hand is revealed. And the draft results cannot be considered in isolation; you need to look at where each club stood before the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...