Jump to content

  • Podcast: 2021 Season Review  

  • Podcast: 2021 Season Review  

Welcome to Demonland - Pick 17


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

Still not convinced that if JT got his way they wouldn't have taken Lever at pick 3 anyway. They also nearly got him by trading Trengove to the Tigers but he failed the medical. Sliding doors moment right there.

They weren’t going to take Jake at pick 3. That was the whole idea of the attempted Trengove trade to enable them to get Lever with Richmond’s pick.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

They weren’t going to take Jake at pick 3. That was the whole idea of the attempted Trengove trade to enable them to get Lever with Richmond’s pick.

They being JT or the club? The club, no doubt heavily based up JT's recommendation but not in a vacuum - clearly made the decision for Brayshaw, who Paul Roos loved. The pressing need was to beef up the midfield quickly rather than draft a young tall and Lever's ACL probably sealed the decision too. But having seen JT since use pick 3's on Oliver and Jackson I'd like to know if it wasn't for the clubs situation who he would've taken.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

They being JT or the club? The club, no doubt heavily based up JT's recommendation but not in a vacuum - clearly made the decision for Brayshaw, who Paul Roos loved. The pressing need was to beef up the midfield quickly rather than draft a young tall and Lever's ACL probably sealed the decision too. But having seen JT since use pick 3's on Oliver and Jackson I'd like to know if it wasn't for the clubs situation who he would've taken.

I think it was Roos who was big on Oliver.  He was still building the mid-field/on-ballers core.

But to answer your question, the top 10 in 2014 were:

McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw, Pickett, DeGoey, Marchbank, Ahem, 2'metre Pete, Moore (F/S), Cockatoo.

As things turned out Brayshaw was the best choice @ pick 3.  Roos and JT nailed that draft!  Roos' mind games with the Saints helped as they blinked and took McCartin instead of Petracca.  

Edited by Premiers
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Premiers said:

LOL, so HP isn't a modern day Don Juan!

Sadly, I actually looked at an interview he gave a week before the GF. He's no Don Juan, not even a Don Johnson. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Just read the draft is spread out over 2 nights.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure last year it took nearly 2 hours to get to our 1st pick?

I think it's written somewhere that Jason Taylor and the recruiting team did not expect Petty to last to that pick as they rated him extremely highly. So when he was still on the board they quickly had no hesitations drafting him.

Petty selection is really an underrated pick considering what he was able to achieve this year.

Remember watching some Casey games in 2018 and was just clunking every ball that was coming his way down in defence. Came away from each time thinking we had an absolute better of a player.

It was as well last year wasn't it?

Love watching him play. Other than a couple of early games in his career (understandably), he generally gives the impression of being a safe pair of hands. He's 21 and taking on the likes of Tom Hawkins. It's pretty incredible tbh. I hope they don't try him forward again but I'm sure others will hold a different view.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My take on the WA vs SA game with players I kept an eye on. Excluding Woewodin, which I did a write up on the Woewodin forum page.

-Mathew Roberts: BOG in my eyes. Played mostly inside mid for this game. I don't think we should pick an inside mid with our 1st pick this year, but Cal Twomey has said previously that he can play on a wing also, which is an area we should consider taking with our 1st pick. He seems quick enough. Elite kick, with really good spacial awareness. Just looked a class above to most of them today.

-Angus Sheldrick: Next best on ground today imo. More likely a 2nd/3rd round pick as I don't see too much upside. He's a small inside mid and very tough at it. Not flashy at all but very competitive. 

-Jack Williams: A big body already which makes him a pretty slow mover. He can go in the ruck also which is of benefit to us if we have a long term outlook with Jackson as a Ruck/Fwd and Williams as a Fwd/Ruck. I would like to use our 2nd pick on him if he gets that far and if we don't pick up Van Rooyen or Amiss with our 1st pick. Seems ok without setting the world on fire. 

-Motlop: Looks like a really good small forward. I don't think we need another small forward, but he shows class.

-Burgoyne: Looked really good. Smooth mover, pretty quick and neat skills. I'll be shocked if Port don't take him Father Sun!

-O'Loughlin: Looks nearly identical to J.Impey for me. Nice small defender with not bad skills. Maybe worth a look later in the draft.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, xman97 said:

My take on the WA vs SA game with players I kept an eye on. Excluding Woewodin, which I did a write up on the Woewodin forum page.

-Mathew Roberts: BOG in my eyes. Played mostly inside mid for this game. I don't think we should pick an inside mid with our 1st pick this year, but Cal Twomey has said previously that he can play on a wing also, which is an area we should consider taking with our 1st pick. He seems quick enough. Elite kick, with really good spacial awareness. Just looked a class above to most of them today.

-Angus Sheldrick: Next best on ground today imo. More likely a 2nd/3rd round pick as I don't see too much upside. He's a small inside mid and very tough at it. Not flashy at all but very competitive. 

-Jack Williams: A big body already which makes him a pretty slow mover. He can go in the ruck also which is of benefit to us if we have a long term outlook with Jackson as a Ruck/Fwd and Williams as a Fwd/Ruck. I would like to use our 2nd pick on him if he gets that far and if we don't pick up Van Rooyen or Amiss with our 1st pick. Seems ok without setting the world on fire. 

-Motlop: Looks like a really good small forward. I don't think we need another small forward, but he shows class.

-Burgoyne: Looked really good. Smooth mover, pretty quick and neat skills. I'll be shocked if Port don't take him Father Sun!

-O'Loughlin: Looks nearly identical to J.Impey for me. Nice small defender with not bad skills. Maybe worth a look later in the draft.

Excellent write up.  Agree on Roberts from SA.  I have him around the pick 11-12 and definitely gone by our pick. He’s impressive and someone will get a very good player. I think he’ll go to Sydney who would welcome him alongside their other excellent youngsters. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Just read the draft is spread out over 2 nights.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure last year it took nearly 2 hours to get to our 1st pick?

I think it's written somewhere that Jason Taylor and the recruiting team did not expect Petty to last to that pick as they rated him extremely highly. So when he was still on the board they quickly had no hesitations drafting him.

Petty selection is really an underrated pick considering what he was able to achieve this year.

Remember watching some Casey games in 2018 and was just clunking every ball that was coming his way down in defence. Came away from each time thinking we had an absolute better of a player.

In regards to Petty, I have it on good authority that we were planning on getting Hayden McLean with the pick that we took Petty at. MClean didnt get drafted and has worked hard to get on the Swans list and play some reasonable football.

From what I recall (and I know all clubs say they were surprised to have a certain player fall to them in the draft) I think we had Petty in our top 20 picks of the draft, and they were shcoked he was there when he was, so they had no choice but to take him.

I am extremely glad they did, as he is going to be a very good player for a long imte. 

  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Premiers said:

I think it was Roos who was big on Oliver.  He was still building the mid-field/on-ballers core.

But to answer your question, the top 10 in 2014 were:

McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw, Pickett, DeGoey, Marchbank, Ahem, 2'metre Pete, Moore (F/S), Cockatoo.

As things turned out Brayshaw was the best choice @ pick 3.  Roos and JT nailed that draft!  Roos' mind games with the Saints helped as they blinked and took McCartin instead of Petracca.  

Yeah from what i've heard we did seriously consider Parish with our pick, but Roos just loved what he saw from Oliver. and god hasn't that paid off (not that Parish isn't a gun) 

In terms of the other draft i think our top 4 were Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin and Lever. from memory that's the year we tried to trade Jack Trengove to get another pick because Lever looked like sliding.

It really is an incredible turn around in our trading and drafting, even the players we were seemingly interested in but didn't get like Georgiadis turned out to be good players

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.afl.com.au/news/679302/indicative-draft-order-your-club-s-picks-as-they-stand

After all the movement so far, we've got very close to the picks the Premier would have at end of each of the first 3 rounds, plus an extra 3rd rounder in 49.  I realise we have given up our 2022 1st rounder to be in this position.

Edited by old55
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Yeah from what i've heard we did seriously consider Parish with our pick, but Roos just loved what he saw from Oliver. and god hasn't that paid off (not that Parish isn't a gun) 

In terms of the other draft i think our top 4 were Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin and Lever. from memory that's the year we tried to trade Jack Trengove to get another pick because Lever looked like sliding.

It really is an incredible turn around in our trading and drafting, even the players we were seemingly interested in but didn't get like Georgiadis turned out to be good players

I believe we were also very keen on Zak Butters. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Premiers said:

I think it was Roos who was big on Oliver.  He was still building the mid-field/on-ballers core.

But to answer your question, the top 10 in 2014 were:

McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw, Pickett, DeGoey, Marchbank, Ahem, 2'metre Pete, Moore (F/S), Cockatoo.

As things turned out Brayshaw was the best choice @ pick 3.  Roos and JT nailed that draft!  Roos' mind games with the Saints helped as they blinked and took McCartin instead of Petracca.  

For some reason, the Oliver one always stands ut for me. You may well be right about Oliver but it felt like JT was all over it and therefore we were keen to get ahead of the Bombers in the queue. I'm not even sure he made the Vic squad initially. Someone will know.

And I was told that Alan Richardson was pretty big on McCartin in his time at the Saints. Thank you twice Alan if that's the case.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Demon Forever said:

Looks a very likely type. Good run, decision making and can kick. Ticks all the right boxes as far as attributes.

Where is he anticipated to go in the draft?

Looking at some of the mock drafts, anywhere from mid to late first round.

A chance to be available at 17.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Goater looks good

 

Yeah, I herd that. Watched him try to lay a shepherd. A little ugly.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Highlights in one match are just that but Goater seem a distributer of the ball very much in the Oliver or Petracca mold whether he will make a good selection or not is dependent on a larger body of work which this year was restricted again the recruiters may have seen his match at school or club in the previous years.

I look at the vision and he has the tools and I believe so long as he is willing to do the work he can become a very good player but conversion of potential to greatness is a long and ardous road players who are happy to coast a la Sylvia never reach the greatness they could achieve.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, durango said:

I look at the vision and he has the tools and I believe so long as he is willing to do the work he can become a very good player but conversion of potential to greatness is a long and ardous road players who are happy to coast a la Sylvia never reach the greatness they could achieve.

Obviously not a question that could ever be answered... but you wonder what could have been for a player with all the natural attributes that Sylvia had he arrived at the club now.  Surely with the current culture and standards (and lack of messiah expectations), we might have seen a very different player / career from Sylvia that would have done his draft year comparisons to Voss / Ricchiuto justice.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, adonski said:

Goater looks good

 

Definitely definitely.  He’s a player. Absolutely in the mix. If he slips to our pick, then we’d have to be very keen.  I reckon he’d be snapped up by either Brisbane or Richmond if he was available at their current round 1 number 14,15 picks   

Yes he’s clearly one of the very best in this years pool. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Giving up a first round pick to get into this year's first round might be quite prescient. Surely there's a chance that next year's draft becomes compromised should Tasmania be granted an AFL licence. I could see all sorts of priority selections being given to Tassie when its licence is awarded which will affect at least one draft. Whether it is next year's or not remains to be seen. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2021 by Whispering Jack

    MUCH ADO ABOUT NOT MUCH The 2021 Free Agency and Trade Periods were billed by Fox Footy as promising a “period like no other and that certainly proved correct but not for the reasons that Network spin suggested when promoting its daily program of news from the trade desk. The truth is that the football public has endured an uneventful and forgettable fortnight unless you perhaps, happen to be a Carlton or a Hawthorn fan. The Blues managed to pick up the biggest name of the trade peri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    CHANGES 2021 by The Oracle

    Part 1: Moving right along … For the first time in aeons, the end of the football season hasn’t felt as if it passed so swiftly. We’re still living the dream of 25 September, 2021 and rightfully so — we were patient, long-suffering and we’ve earned the right to party hard (as long as we’re not infecting the rest of the state as some health authorities contend). But we’ve also come into October which in football terms means that for one segment of the Melbourne Football Club — the recru

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 12

    THE APPRENTICE by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect Mac Andrew has had a meteoric rise in the eyes of many track watchers who follow the fortunes of football talent at the elite level. So much so that under the AFL's new rules which prohibit clubs from matching bids on their NGA players within the first 20 selections, there’s a widely held perception that Andrew is falling out of the club’s grasp.   Despite being buoyed by the Demons’ drought-breaking premiership, some fans are showing their a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 3

    OUR GRAND OLD FLAG by George On The Outer

    When an AFL Grand Final approaches, supporters look for omens to help them foresee how their team will fare in the contest.   Melbourne supporters were, until just before Saturday’s opening bounce, the best in the business at looking for positives to give them hope and direction - a natural feeling after 57 years in the wilderness. So when the Bulldogs’ streamers kept slipping from the handle of the Premiership Cup as Glen Jackovich delivered it to Optus Stadium, they wondered whether it

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...