AGM 2021

Hampton 22

11 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

The experiment has barely begun, though.

Investing in Casey and basing ourselves down that way needs to be seen through a much longer timeframe - it’s not going to pay off until 30, 40 years down the track, when we’re properly embedded in the community and have had time to form a relationship with the people who live there. 

Tim and Gonzo make a good point about possible player pushback against a full move that way, but everything else screams Casey to me. 

Identifying the growth in that part of the city when we did - and jumping in there - was extremely smart thinking in my view, and going all-in might be the better long-term option if we truly want to attract 70,000 members down the track. 

How many people in the outer Melbourne suburbs are going to switch allegiances though? I live in the north/west closer to Tulla, Whitten Oval and Arden St than Goschs or the G doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly take out a Bombers membership. We'd be banking on converting new migrants which needs to involve more than just moving our training base out to Casey.

11 hours ago, 58er said:

I am talking about the realistic expectations of supporters being a chance each year for the 8 and flag in this toughest of competitions. Even the Hawks have fallen ! And we await the Cats plunge!! 

Sorry I thought you were referring to the clubs objective statement. 

3 hours ago, 58er said:

It must  have given you Its Time confidence that The Casey deal would be a success with a major player in our Club hardly giving it his spproval.!!!

TBH I was shocked both because he was so candid and because it was a very negative view about the prospect of getting members from Casey which I thought was the ultimate point. 

I grew up visiting Berwick through the '60's onwards. My Uncle had a farm there that by the 2000's was surrounded by houses. The rate of growth in that area has been phenomenal. Moving out there is quite similar in many ways to what they are trying to do with GWS in Sydney. Put a team in a massive population area and hope to convert it to supporters and members. Ten years in it's a very very slow grind that may possibly never happen. 

12 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

Identifying the growth in that part of the city when we did - and jumping in there - was extremely smart thinking in my view, and going all-in might be the better long-term option if we truly want to attract 70,000 members down the track. 

That would certainly change the fundamental fabric of the Club. It would obviously kill off the connection with the MCC and it's members. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, It's Time said:

TBH I was shocked both because he was so candid and because it was a very negative view about the prospect of getting members from Casey which I thought was the ultimate point. 

I grew up visiting Berwick through the '60's onwards. My Uncle had a farm there that by the 2000's was surrounded by houses. The rate of growth in that area has been phenomenal. Moving out there is quite similar in many ways to what they are trying to do with GWS in Sydney. Put a team in a massive population area and hope to convert it to supporters and members. Ten years in it's a very very slow grind that may possibly never happen. 

That would certainly change the fundamental fabric of the Club. It would obviously kill off the connection with the MCC and it's members. 

I have a feeling we are going to hear about a new home  in the Olympic park area in next couple of months. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, It's Time said:

I think this is a key point. If we re-locate to Casey then our whole brand has to change. I don’t think it makes since to have a club which carries the name of the city to be located in Casey or any other outer locality. It would be like re-locating Sydney to Penrith. And I know it’s not the same as the swans or the Lions moving to a new city but the old ties and connections will eventually fade away.

If we move to Casey we would have to become a team of that locality which reflects the people and identity of that region. We would be going from what is considered an affluent supporter base to  working class. I don’t think our brand makes sense out there. We either stay central and retain the brand or move to Casey and re-brand so that we are attractive to the potential supporter base out there. I mean, would a new migrant to this country, probably of working class or lower socio economic means, want to become a member of the current MFC. I doubt it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Macca said:

As previously stated DM, the large majority of Demon supporters and members are MCG people and that is always going to be our real & spiritual home.  It's where we play our games and hopefully that will never change

As for the training base it's a different story so why not Casey?  I can see that facility out there being top-notch.  Over time you could seat 5000-8000 with matches involving the Mens practice games (which happens now anyway) the Womens team,  Casey Scorpions and perhaps an under 18 team and other junior teams (creating a pathway)

Bit breezy on the wings but with some creative thinking that could be fixed

And of course at the same time acting as a proper training base with all the bells & whistles.  And there's any number of the 350,000+ people out there who could jump on board

I also believe that the club needs to promote & market the Bentleigh Club on match days when we play interstate ... there should be hundreds there.  We own the place so why aren't we using it properly?  Ok, it's a little bit out of the way for some but it is ours

You put on $2 coffees, $4 schooners and free finger food and you'd pack the joint out.  Didn't we strike 50,000 members a couple of years ago?  That's a lot of untapped customers

Fully agree, Macca - our home game venue is and always should be the mighty 'G. With Casey capable of shaping up as the best option for training and development of players, we have ourselves a Win/Win circumstance to exploit. Perhaps one of the best in the AFL. It is time to put our foot down - let's get it done. Do we still own the Bentleigh Club - I do not know as I have lived interstate (SA) for nearly 20 years. When we started proceedings there, it was a great place to soak up the Demon atmosphere...

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Have you heard something OD or just a hunch?

Hunch, reading between the lines from AGM. Bartlett said the new word would be from the government. That suggests to me that he knows they are going to comment. When? Postive I think? I think they are going to announce a redevelopment of Olympic Park which will include us. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, old dee said:

Hunch, reading between the lines from AGM. Bartlett said the new word would be from the government. That suggests to me that he knows they are going to comment. When? Postive I think? I think they are going to announce a redevelopment of Olympic Park which will include us. 

I think so too. He has always been so bullish in his remarks. I looked at the recording of Pert's speech at the AGM this morning. He spoke about deciding what to do with the Bentleigh club in the next 12 months or so. If the MGC precinct gets the go ahead then the Bentleigh club will be flogged and the cash tipped into the project. No point holding onto that asset if a social club is under construction. Plus we'll need the proceeds anyway. 

I think the indications are that we'll get the green light.

On 2/23/2021 at 2:20 PM, Better days ahead said:

For those interested in putting a ticket together can i suggest getting the Geelong government liaison on board. Whoever they are they're doing a heck of a job.

Geelong have a distinct political advantage and no nearby competition to provide facilities for the community.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Macca said:

I also believe that the club needs to promote & market the Bentleigh Club on match days when we play interstate ... there should be hundreds there.  We own the place so why aren't we using it properly?  Ok, it's a little bit out of the way for some but it is ours

You haven't been there Macca obviously.  No offense but the projector screening an interstate game onto the wall was a bit clunky and a little out of focus.

1 minute ago, deevotee said:

You haven't been there Macca obviously.  No offense but the projector screening an interstate game onto the wall was a bit clunky and a little out of focus.

I've always maintained it's about getting people together

Spent decades at local level doing the above and we assembled in some murky venues!!

But it worked and the Bentleigh club would probably lift their game if they knew a couple of hundred people were rolling up

I've popped into the Bentleigh club on occasions outside of game days and it would need to be better presented as you've indicated

But that is entirely possible with the right sort of communications

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How many people in the outer Melbourne suburbs are going to switch allegiances though? I live in the north/west closer to Tulla, Whitten Oval and Arden St than Goschs or the G doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly take out a Bombers membership. We'd be banking on converting new migrants which needs to involve more than just moving our training base out to Casey.

Winning games gets new members and supporters Dr. Fastest way known.

Play finals every year for the next five years and win a flag in that time and everything becomes way easier.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

I think so too. He has always been so bullish in his remarks. I looked at the recording of Pert's speech at the AGM this morning. He spoke about deciding what to do with the Bentleigh club in the next 12 months or so. If the MGC precinct gets the go ahead then the Bentleigh club will be flogged and the cash tipped into the project. No point holding onto that asset if a social club is under construction. Plus we'll need the proceeds anyway. 

I think the indications are that we'll get the green light.

And OD

There's a frightening amount of 'hope' and 'reading between the lines' and 'feeling in my waters' stuff here.

I also share your wishful thinking.

BUT, as wish as we may, Bartlett will not deliver.

1 minute ago, deevotee said:

BUT, as wish as we may, Bartlett will not deliver.

You may be right but this is a very definitive statement. What makes you believe the project won't get off the ground. Not having a pop i would just like to know your reasoning. This board (and Peter Jackson before them) have set there stall out very clearly that the MGC precinct is where the base will be. Surely they would not risk looking so foolish if it falls through (more wishful thinking on my part perhaps). 

• Like 1

Under Bartlett's presidency we have had one chance to cast a vote for a Board candidate that was not of Bartlett's choosing.

Candidates were limited to 150 words, electioneering was forbidden, the president sent pages of reasons why the unapproved candidate should not be chosen. Despite requests, the results of the election have not been made available. The president simply announced at the AGM the election of his four nominated directors.

Dear members of my club, we do not even know how many of us voted and for whom.

Yesterday I sent a request under FOI legislation requesting the following information:

how many valid votes were cast?

how many votes were received by each of the candidates? (NOT %)

how many members were eligible to vote?

and et al, how many members (and the categories) does the Melbourne football Club have?

I expressed my regret for the need to request this fundamental member information by resorting to FOI.

Ultimately the responsibility for undemocratic leadership rests entirely with the President.

I will post the response from the Club as soon as it is received.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeh im not counting on people switching allegiances, but tapping into the new migrants. It's playing a very long game, and requires more than just plonking ourselves down there, as you say. But all the little things add up, such as the school visits we used to do in that area (do we still do these)? It would probably take a generation to really bear fruit - if we did it the right way, and had some sustained on-field success to accompany it. 

3 hours ago, It's Time said:

I think we'll always have the MCC connection as long as we remain at the 'G, but fundamentally changing the fabric of the club is probably what's required for long-term survival and sustained membership growth. 70k members as a short or medium-term target sounds like fairytale stuff to me, even if we were to win a flag or two in the next few years.  It's certainly not going to come from MCC people or whoever  / wherever we represent now. 

• Like 1

About 6-8 years ago a room was dedicated to the game at the Bentleigh club.  The pull down screen was fuzzy but I doubt if it would cost much to upgrade it.

There was a bar in the room and free nibbles at half time.  A nice sized crowd would usually be there and it was a good experience to be among only dee fans barracking loudly and as much as we liked.  Gradually each of those disappeared to the point where for the last few years, games are shown in the sports bar (with the races etc) or on small 32cm screens in a corner of the pokies room.  It was like they wanted us out of there.  As a result I now subscribe to Foxtel.

Needless to say very few demon fans go now.  In fact you wouldn't even know it was connected to mfc except for the odd bit of dated paraphernalia.

There is a decent sized fan base in SE Melbourne, a carryover from the days when parts of it were in the mfc zone.  No-one at the club seems interested in incorporating the Bentleigh Club into a fan experience and a marketing tool to help build memberships.

The last mfc related function there was in 2014 when the players of our last premiership had their 50 year anniversary celebration there.  It was there own initiative and I didn't see any mfc staff there.  Tickets sold out in a day. 

So the demand is there to use the Bentleigh Club more creatively.  It is much more than a pokie venue which seems to be the perception of current management - I doubt if any of them has been there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1