PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Fremantle

Pickett2Jackson

Challenging first up test for the Dees. Freo are well coached with some excellent young players. They'll be no push-over.

I reckon we will atone for the Cairns debacle.

Saturday afternoon at the G. Can’t wait.

• Like 3

Great l expect us to be off to a good start for the season with a solid win  against Freo. 

Looking forward to playing on the Gee on a Saturday and singing the song  afterwards.

That will certainly make my day.  

Edited by nosoupforme
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm happy we're playing at the G, but that opening round (aside from Pies V Bullies) is an out and out snore fest.

Rich v Carl - traditional opening mismatch

Pies v Dogs - tick

Adelaide v Geelong - 2nd v 18th last year - yawn

Ess v Haw - battle of the has beens

Bris v Syd - wake me up when it's over

North V Port - prolong the agony

GWS v Saints - might be a good contest but who cares

WCE v Gold Coast - excellent reason to go out

Who isn't looking for a big footy fix in Round 1 after months of nothing? Well not with this line-up.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Not counting any chickens by any means, but this is a must win game for the MFC.  So sick of the excuses rolled out by sucessive MFC coaches in recent years (including Roos) that Rd 1 is just another game. 

Getting on the front foot and off to a winning streak of 4 or 5 games first up would setup our season entirely differently to the usual MFC act of loosing 4 or 5 of our first six games and playing catch-up for the remainder of the season to make finals.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

I'm happy we're playing at the G, but that opening round (aside from Pies V Bullies) is an out and out snore fest.

Pies v Dogs - tick

Who isn't looking for a big footy fix in Round 1 after months of nothing? Well not with this line-up.

Simply having them out there will do it for me.That and a win. Besides, the opening round usually throws up some surprises. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Pies v Dogs - tick

I think this game also has the potential to turn into a blood bath for the Pies.

34 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

With the young talent that GC has and assuming Matt Rowell is back, then I'd love to see an upset win and deprive WCE of a home win, which they rely on.

• Like 6

Coll vs WBD:  Friday Night, FTA  - AFL and broadcasters wanting to 'cash in' on the Treloar trade debacle.

As an aside, not expecting much prime time, FTA exposure.  With last year's top 8 teams to accommodate plus the AFL perpetual need to give Carlton and Ess maximum exposure we will be well down the pecking order.  We will be in the bottom 8 in the tv stakes at least for the early rounds of the 'moving fixture'.  Hopefully we start winning and earn better exposure as each fixture block is date/time scheduled

• Like 5

A must win for our Dee's, as already mentioned we really need to nail all our wins at the Gee, we don't want to be 6/5 at the half way mark I am expecting 7/4 or 8/3. let's hope that we can all get to the ground and cheer them on, I am hanging out to sing that song..!!!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

We're going to get smashed, then they'll be an overreaction, then in a months time everyone will realise Freo were actually good so it's not that bad a loss.

We can't score against a Longmuir defensive set up and we'll get frustrated, make mistakes and leak goals because that's what we do.

Unless.......

The forward pressure is spicy and dialed right up to start a season

AND

The midfield learn to work together and use the ball smartly.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Pies v Dogs - tick

Geelong with a gift to start the season.  Plus all their home games to come.  Would love to know why the AFL looks after them every season.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I think this game also has the potential to turn into a blood bath for the Pies.

With the young talent that GC has and assuming Matt Rowell is back, then I'd love to see an upset win and deprive WCE of a home win, which they rely on.

I agree with the blood bath potential and I hope the bullies smash them.  A pie slide down the ladder, caused by the knock on effects their fine trading efforts, would make me very happy.

I also agree that GC could be much improved as should the baggers be v Richmond, but fair dinkum, the preseason games look more inviting than Round 1. If the season kicks off with Richmond drubbing the blues, then just kill me now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeeZone said:

A must win for our Dee's, as already mentioned we really need to nail all our wins at the Gee, we don't want to be 6/5 at the half way mark I am expecting 7/4 or 8/3. let's hope that we can all get to the ground and cheer them on, I am hanging out to sing that song..!!!

I could imaging DZ that you would be the loudest singing the song after a win. However l wouldn't be far behind you there.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

well at least we won't have to worry about socially distancing for this round assuming we get to go.

The latest NSW outbreak shows that 2021 isn't going to be normal by any stretch.

Will the players put up with another bubble season? 

I thought the magical vaccines would fix everything.

Surely the media, big pharma and government haven't been lying to us?   ?

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Facepalm 7
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

I thought the magical vaccines would fix everything.

Surely the media, big pharma and government haven't been lying to us?   ?

Australia is not rolling out the vaccine until March.You need 70% of the population vaccinated. It's a 2 jab process where immunity is given around 15 days after the second jab.

Simple maths tells you that the vaccines will not be effective to reach heard immunity until around August at the earliest.

By the way they do work and the safety tests have been enormous. As of today over one million doses of the Pfizer vaccine has been given for example.

Was reading a fascinating stats paper the other day by a US statistician. Assuming herd immunity is achieved at 70% of the population and no vaccine the US would take 5 years at its present rate of infection to achieve herd immunity. With a vaccine take up rate of 40% it takes 15 months. Jump that take up rate to 60% and you get there in 6 months.

Please take the vaccine and get your friends to take it as well. Otherwise 2022 won't be much better.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I think its great we’ve drawn an inter-state side and don’t have to share a ticket allocation. Hopefully we can keep a lid on Covid infections and get 25,000 Dees supporters into the G for the game.

• Like 4