2020 Player Reviews: #31 Bayley Fritsch

Demonland

2020 Player Reviews: #31 Bayley Fritsch

The versatile high marking left footer spent most of the year up forward. Was the team’s leading goal kicker but his year was marred by some occasional wayward kicking for goal  and the fact that he missed a game for disciplinary reasons after turning up late to training at the team’s Maroochydore hub.

Date of Birth: 6 December, 1996

Height: 188cm

Weight: 82kg

Games MFC 2020: 16

Career Total: 61

Goals MFC 2020: 22

Career Total: 59

Votes 2020 Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Memorial Trophy: 154 Votes 2020

Brownlow Medal: 1

• Like 2

I rate Fritta he has been good enough without  setting the world on fire. He can play down back and hold his own. Has been predominantly playing forward and sometimes  as a key forward . For his size that makes him a valuable asset.  

He knows his problem is his set shots for goal and has the preseason to rectify it. At 24 he is only going to get better.

• Like 3

Convert one behind a game into a goal and he is a top ten goal kicker.

Probably the easiest one of them all to fix. Seems that his game relies on leading to the pocket so accuracy is important.

How he works with Ben Brown could be interesting

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Convert one behind a game into a goal and he is a top ten goal kicker.

Probably the easiest one of them all to fix. Seems that his game relies on leading to the pocket so accuracy is important.

Yep!!!

• Like 1

I also have a lot of time for Fritsch, hopefully with Brown, Weid and Jacko roaming the forward line Bayley could snag a lot more easier shots on goal. Love this kid.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Would think Fritta might get a few more look ins within a 45 degree angle of goal with the space Brown creates.

He's been the classic swingman that can't quite nail down a spot, because he can play multiple spots. 

Having said all that, I'm hoping there is still some room to grab a nippy HFF that may push him out with Melksham

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Should be written into his contract "Do not lead into the pockets"

Forget the thread but it was late in the year where it was suggested that the lead to the pocket was part of a team strategy to draw the backs away.

Whatever it was it didn't work very well unless he can improve his kicking on the angle.

• Like 2

Love the kid. In a team that isn't overly skilled and more about winning contests then anything else its so important to have some class forward of the ball. Salem provides it down back while I think Fritsch is set to really flourish in the half forward role with his field kicking and wonderful marking/reading the ball.

At just 23 he still has so much room to grow. He's never going to be big but if he can just put on a tad more size and strength the tackles will stick and he can stand up better in the contest. I like that he's a quiet assassin. Reminds me a bit of Hawthorns Bruce with his craft around goal. Just needs to tidy up the set shots. I think he will.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Kent said:

MUST KICK GOALS 

If he continues missing shots I fear he might be missing

Works hard to get opportunities but also work on his defensive game

Didn't you see his last 2 games vs  GWS and Bombers where Bailey took care of Haynes and Ridley and kicked 5 goals and missed about 4 gimmes still.

his tackling needs more body strength and Bayley has  indicated on the website he is getting ready for much more improvement to take his game to a new level in marking and defending and goal accuracy.

Talk of him missing is not only premature as our leading  goal kicker But disrespectful to his wholehearted efforts in his first 3 years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BW511 said:

Would think Fritta might get a few more look ins within a 45 degree angle of goal with the space Brown creates.

He's been the classic swingman that can't quite nail down a spot, because he can play multiple spots. 

Having said all that, I'm hoping there is still some room to grab a nippy HFF that may push him out with Melksham

What do you mean push him out?

Put from goal or out of the team ?  or 

out of the Forward  line ?

Please don't compare with Melk and is ahead of any of our forwards.

Wll straighten up and wrk on his game up become elite .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 58er said:

What do you mean push him out?

Put from goal or out of the team ?  or 

out of the Forward  line ?

Please don't compare with Melk and is ahead of any of our forwards.

Wll straighten up and wrk on his game up become elite .

I meant push him out of the side, would rather a genuine crumber to come in to give us Weid, Brown, Jacko, Kossie, rotating mid and a new nippy HFF.
I’ve mentioned it before, it’s nothing personal, just the balance I would prefer to see

• Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, dl4e said:

Also must learn to step out of shadows but I don't know if he is capable of that.

Please explain!

Does this mean he goes missing or implies he is timid?

If so, i disagree. The courage he displayed in the first six games constantly standing under hospital balls with two bigger defenders menacingly approaching was ridiculous. Hardest thing in football to do.

It wasn't his fault he was played out of position… again!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 58er said:

Didn't you see his last 2 games vs  GWS and Bombers where Bailey took care of Haynes and Ridley and kicked 5 goals and missed about 4 gimmes still.

his tackling needs more body strength and Bayley has  indicated on the website he is getting ready for much more improvement to take his game to a new level in marking and defending and goal accuracy.

Talk of him missing is not only premature as our leading  goal kicker But disrespectful to his wholehearted efforts in his first 3 years.

DIdnt say he wasn't brave! He must kick goals when given the opportunity is all i said. I did see his last two games. I also saw many games when he would kick 1. 3 or 1. 4   All gettable,

And don't start me on Goodwins' playing him out of position It was a disgrace

2 minutes ago, poita said:

Good player, who was our leading goalkicker this year, but still managed to under perform in many respects. You still sense he has another couple of levels to lift, particularly in terms of contributing without ball in hand.

Too right poita!!!Watch this space, almost killed by the coach Let us hope that better heads make these decisions next year

• Like 1