Trade Harmes?

Engorged Onion

His best role is as a defensive mid, as evidenced by his stellar 2018, which was kick started when he went onto a Bulldogs player in the second half.  

He's not a wingman and we may have Smith to partner Langdon.

He's not a defender.

Will he get back into Melbourne's midfield ?  I don't think so.  There's no room for Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw and the emerging Sparrow plus Harmes. 

Could he be a defensive half-forward who hits the scoreboard ?  He has pace, can take a mark and kick a goal.  If he stays it's about the only opportunity I see for him.

If Brayshaw stays I struggle to see room for Harmes.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Hannibal Inc. said:

His best role is as a defensive mid, as evidenced by his stellar 2018, which was kick started when he went onto a Bulldogs player in the second half.  

He's not a wingman and we may have Smith to partner Langdon.

He's not a defender.

Will he get back into Melbourne's midfield ?  I don't think so.  There's no room for Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw and the emerging Sparrow plus Harmes. 

Could he be a defensive half-forward who hits the scoreboard ?  He has pace, can take a mark and kick a goal.  If he stays it's about the only opportunity I see for him.

If Brayshaw stays I struggle to see room for Harmes.

This.

Half forward is where he showed his skills in his first year on the rookie list at Casey. I remember watching him a number of times where he may of only had 12-14 touches and kicked 1 or 2 goals a game at most, but you could tell he had something.

Move him to half forward where he can play ahead of the likes of Hannan, Vandenberg and Spargo and have a real impact. Let Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw rotate through the midfield roles. Can always move Harmes in there if we pick up a long term injury or two.

• Like 4

I cant see us playing even a semi permanent run with midfielder which is his jam. He clearly is not suited to a half back role and if you haven’t nailed a wing with MFC before 2020 I cant see someone suddenly becoming one now. Most likely and best opportunity would be  to overtake Melksham’s half forward position with a defensive bent which I would already have a preference for him to do. If they dont see a role for him in our best 22 then he is more value as trade or list management than at Casey for injury relief. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

We are going to be quite aggressive at the trade table this off season so I’d expect some surprises.

i have no specific intel on harmes being a trade option, and feel his contract would make it hard but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some players we don’t expect moved on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The best teams have great midfield depth.

Richmond - Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton, Pickett, Caddy, Ross, Lambert, Graham, Stack.

Geelong - Selwood, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Duncan, Steven, Ablett, Simpson, Atkins.

If we look at out midfield - Oliver (midfield & forward), Viney, Petracca (midfield & forward), Brayshaw, Sparrow, Vandenberg. Harmes  (contracted until 2024) is flexible as can play midfield, but also play back if required & no doubt could do a job as a pressure defensive or offensive forward.

We need more inside & outside run in the midfield!

Our midfield has quality, but doesn't have the depth of either Richmond or Geelong.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

If we're bringing in quality someone has to go to balance the salary cap books. It's TMac for Brown, and if not there'll be further unexpected trades required.

if we're bringing in some combination or even one of Smith, Phillips and Polec someone has to give and Harmes is nice to have and the most expendable quality we have. 

If you think trade out after this year's result is TMac, Preuss and fringe, then I recommend think again.

Edited by Pollyanna

we have Oliver, Petracca, Viney as our starting midfield, it is completely possible for Brayshaw and Harmes to also be in the side. it means sparrow has to bide his time and jones and vanders don't get a look in. I also think harmes is more than capable of playing melkshams HF role, he can take a screamer, hes kicked bags and he loves the tackle

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The good thing about Harmes playing a run with role is that it sets a defensive standard to the entire midfield group something that they severely lack in as evidenced in many games but especially the gws game where the game was on the line and Kelly was left on his own at the stoppage. 

10 minutes ago, SAlves said:

The best teams have great midfield depth.

Richmond - Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton, Pickett, Caddy, Ross, Lambert, Graham, Stack.

Geelong - Selwood, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Duncan, Steven, Ablett, Simpson, Atkins.

If we look at out midfield - Oliver (midfield & forward), Viney, Petracca (midfield & forward), Brayshaw, Sparrow, Vandenberg. Harmes  (contracted until 2024) is flexible as can play midfield, but also play back if required & no doubt could do a job as a pressure defensive or offensive forward.

We need more inside & outside run in the midfield!

Our midfield has quality, but doesn't have the depth of either Richmond or Geelong.

Selwood, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Duncan, Steven, Ablett, Simpson, Atkins

Really ?

Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Langdon (who you failed to mention), Harmes, vandenBerg, Sparrow

Steven is fat.  Ablett hasn't played much midfield.  Simpson has played 14 games.  Atkins is hardly a quality midfielder and isn't even selected for tonight.

Stack, Pickett, Caddy, etc. for Richmond also have question marks.

It's easy to overrate others and underrate your own.

I DO agree that we lack some depth.  Hopefully Smith can balance it out.

I reckon we're only one decent wingman short of rounding out a quality midfield.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hannibal Inc. said:

Selwood, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Duncan, Steven, Ablett, Simpson, Atkins

Really ?

Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Langdon (who you failed to mention), Harmes, vandenBerg, Sparrow

Steven is fat.  Ablett hasn't played much midfield.  Simpson has played 14 games.  Atkins is hardly a quality midfielder and isn't even selected for tonight.

Stack, Pickett, Caddy, etc. for Richmond also have question marks.

It's easy to overrate others and underrate your own.

I DO agree that we lack some depth.  Hopefully Smith can balance it out.

I reckon we're only one decent wingman short of rounding out a quality midfield.

Sparrow is bog ordinary, otherwise I agree. I'd be keeping Harmes before Sparrow, but clearly Goodwin loves Sparrow. Have no idea why.

• Like 1

His best position is defensive mid so play him there. Maybe he can replace Melksham but I’m not a big fan of trying to repurpose players. Just play to his strengths.

If someone gets squeezed out then my preference is Brayshaw. Nothing against Angus just think he has greater currency which can deliver a better player in a trade than Harmes can.

22 minutes ago, Turner said:

we have Oliver, Petracca, Viney as our starting midfield, it is completely possible for Brayshaw and Harmes to also be in the side. it means sparrow has to bide his time and jones and vanders don't get a look in. I also think harmes is more than capable of playing melkshams HF role, he can take a screamer, hes kicked bags and he loves the tackle

Get Viney out of the mid field simple really.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

You can rest easy knowing we got Viney ready to carry the midfield for next 4 years. :/

Then if so the team better get ready to play on one side of the field coz he cant kick on both sides