Give us some credit Garry

Billy

11 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

He was playing his role as a commentator.   The role he is paid for.   Eddie and a few others could take a leaf. 

Good call.  He has a job to do and he's echoing most supporters when the team is down as with Power game. He gave plenty of credit and insight last night.

Lay off him.

• Like 1

Do folks really think he goes out of his way to damage or discredit us? 

People may want him to sound like a poster in the typically one-eyed, DL "Game Day" thread.  I visit it at times in the breaks and it is like a madhouse in there and I wonder if we are all watching the same game...  But he has a job to do. 

His OOT comments come from a place of passion and frustration.  His comments after the Port game were savage but equally savage comments came from our President.  The Ox can also be quite savage. 

Tbh, if someone is to criticise us I prefer it is one of our own who understands what we go thru.  Imagine if any other commentator was as vocal as Garry.  We would be more filthy. 

He beams when we win and looks sullen when we lose - just like us fans.  Yeah, he annoys me sometimes but at least we have a voice in the media. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Garry is all of us, he’s been burnt too many times before so he’s being rightfully cautious.

Collingwood have a lot of injuries, were coming off a short break and lost two players during the game.

We were smacking them before the injuries. 
Is there much in your glass today.

9 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Do folks really think he goes out of his way to damage or discredit us? 

People may want him to sound like a poster in the typically one-eyed, DL "Game Day" thread.  I visit it at times in the breaks and it is like a madhouse in there and I wonder if we are all watching the same game...  But he has a job to do. 

His OOT comments come from a place of passion and frustration.  His comments after the Port game were savage but equally savage comments came from our President.  The Ox can also be quite savage. 

Tbh, if someone is to criticise us I prefer it is one of our own who understands what we go thru.  Imagine if any other commentator was as vocal as Garry.  We would be more filthy. 

He beams when we win and looks sullen when we lose - just like us fans.  Yeah, he annoys me sometimes but at least we have a voice in the media. 

He's being paid handsomely to be an expert commentator and you're OK that he carries on like the biggest nuff-nuffs in the "is Goodwin the right guy" thread?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Garry is all of us, he’s been burnt too many times before so he’s being rightfully cautious.

Collingwood have a lot of injuries, were coming off a short break and lost two players during the game.

Speak for yourself.  Gary is supposed to be a commentator not a supporter. If he can’t help being negative due to his biases then don’t commentate our games 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

No he is not. At least not when he is in the role of professional football analyst. In that role he is not a fan like us. Or shouldn't be. 

If i want a lack of understanding of the modern game and uninformed, poorly researched, emotive rants about a demons game I can read demonland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Serious question. Why does anyone care about Garry's views on us (or any club)? He is an ex icon of our club -and  has now had a media career longer than his football career. He is as relevant to the football club currently as Luke Darcy is....but I get people romantically link his time. 

I wonder if Ricky Jackson had a commentary career, or a blogspot and he critiqued in the same way, would people get just as upset?

1 hour ago, Pollyanna said:

He's being paid handsomely to be an expert commentator and you're OK that he carries on like the biggest nuff-nuffs in the "is Goodwin the right guy" thread?

I rarely have a different view to your good self '55 but I don't see that Garry carries on like a DL nuff-nuff (who pop up in many threads). 

I just don't share the view that he consistently takes an anti-demon view of things.  They aren't the words posters on here have used but that is what is implied. 

He would benefit from being less melodramatic/emotional but a lot of what he says or sees is accurate. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, binman said:

No he is not. At least not when he is in the role of professional football analyst. In that role he is not a fan like us. Or shouldn't be. 

If i want a lack of understanding of the modern game and uninformed, poorly researched, emotive rants about a demons game I can read demonland.

I see it far simpler @binman - it's not even about the fact he has had a relationship with the football club.

He is a poor as commentator /analyst as all of them... the broadcasters choose this style for a particular reason. So essentially you could reword what you wrote a little - his and all commentators style that we listen to as 'a lack of understanding of the modern game and uninformed, poorly researched, emotive rants about any team'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, binman said:

professional football analyst = oxymoron:cool:

Nearly all ex-player commentators carry on like fans! 

So do commentators that have never played:  Bruce, Hudson, Eddie etc etc

Garry is no different. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Damo said:

If he is objective he would point out occasionally where we missed a free or how we tried to set up play. he sure points out our oppositions failures to get a free kick. He is obsessed with us not converting inside 50 which stymied him tonight because we did. He brings up good points often as a commentator but could praise us now and again. He was on cloud 9 when Port [censored] on us.

Correct, it comes across to me that as a commentator he enjoys explaining how bad we are, but when we’re playing well he will find negatives about the opposition like injuries & poor umpiring 

Great footy brain but a second rate supporter

The commentary in our game including Garry was vastly superior to that of the Freo game. That moron Darcy kept going on about Kade Simpson not wearing sleeves and how his arms were too skinny to be on display

not to mention laughing like school boys when he got smashed in the face with footy from close range for a full minute

just embarrassing 

a low bar I know, but still

Edited by DubDee
Typo

He’s fine. What do you expect when we do what we did against Port and then last night against Coll? 4 games removed and a world apart in how we executed basic skills, went inside 50, and harnessed the frenzy.

We are a flag contender if you play like that enough times; that was not we were a month ago.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I see it far simpler @binman - it's not even about the fact he has had a relationship with the football club.

He is a poor as commentator /analyst as all of them... the broadcasters choose this style for a particular reason. So essentially you could reword what you wrote a little - his and all commentators style that we listen to as 'a lack of understanding of the modern game and uninformed, poorly researched, emotive rants about any team'.

Exactly. Well almost.

The opinions about the cub don't bother me at all. Great he is passionate. Same goes for the ox.

But, like the ox does, he should save his supporter stuff for his radio show.

Not all commentators are are poor as him though. I don't mind Hudson. He at least knows his stuff and has done research. Like the fact fritter is not a dead eye from set shots like that peanut del Santo said (And hilariously Healy responded with top call del)

And even though he shares Lyon's blokey style I actually don't mind Brayshaw. In large part because he also seems to do some research and understands the game.

50 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

professional football analyst = oxymoron:cool:

Nearly all ex-player commentators carry on like fans! 

So do commentators that have never played:  Bruce, Hudson, Eddie etc etc

Garry is no different. 

100% agree.

And that is my issue. Not gaddy's opinion about the club. At least when they are being expressed during a game.  

I have a problem with commentators who:

Prattle on about something else while the game is going on.

Massage each others egos talking about past glories/achievements

Refer to each other by their stupid nicknames.

Giggle at each others stupid unfunny jokes. 

Giggle at each others 'in' jokes which we the viewer has no idea what they are referring to. 

Praise ad nauseam player/s of a team the commentator once played for (Cameron Ling big offender).

Are Presidents or ex-Presidents of the club they are commentating about.

Talk constantly about how this and that should be a free kick but are strangely silent when one of their 'own' trangresses.

Climb on their high horse and declare how many weeks a player should get for that action.(Campaign begins).

Rave on about how tough certain players are, but if another player does the same thing they are reckless.

Fawn over their favourites.

Promote betting on the football. There are plenty of ads that take care of that. As if we don't have enough problems.

I probably missed a few. So, I think I can tolerate Garry. (As long as he doesn't do any of the above).

• Like 4
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, binman said:

Exactly. Well almost.

The opinions about the cub don't bother me at all. Great he is passionate. Same goes for the ox.

But, like the ox does, he should save his supporter stuff for his radio show.

Not all commentators are are poor as him though. I don't mind Hudson. He at least knows his stuff and has done research. Like the fact fritter is not a dead eye from set shots like that peanut del Santo said (And hilariously Healy responded with top call del)

And even though he shares Lyon's blokey style I actually don't mind Brayshaw. In large part because he also seems to do some research and understands the game.

We all have different tolerance levels.  I don't expect much from any of them, Garry included. 

I prefer him to all the Ch 7 commentators who are drunk on the sound of their own voices! 

Except Daisy.  She is numero uno!

Bring back Denis Cometti!  Whateley is ok when he doesn't sound like he is calling a horse race.

• Like 3

Lyon reminds me of a parent coaching his sons team and being much harder on his son than everyone else (over compensating)

I think he was also mindful last night that there is a lot more Collingwood supporters watching than dees supporters, and was trying to hose down how bad they were to minimise negative feedback 

• Like 2

Is the tread to have a whinge in when we have just beaten the pies by 9 goals and everything is going well. 
Cannot  bring myself to feel anything other than joy this morning.

• Like 3