Attendance Port Game

Docs Demons

I'm a Qld member and went to the Lions game on Coast using my free interstate ticket. Enquired via email to the club today on whether i could buy a ticket for Thursday's game and received the following response.

Quote."There is going to be only a small allocation of tickets for this week’s game, so we are prioritizing members who haven’t yet used their free ticket allocation. There is a ballot running at the moment. If there are tickets left after this we will email members on Wednesday to be able to purchase. There is a chance there won’t be enough left though.". Unquote.

This is an absolute joke. Believe it is a MFC home game and can't even buy a ticket. MFC & Port members here in Brisbane would be lucky to get to 500 total. Have not even been asked or informed how to enter the ballot. This is either a Gabba or AFL directive to keep the crowd to a bare number to save costs however our club just rolls over and takes it up where you know where. They should be asking for enough seats to satisfy us members up here. Want to see games up here other than against Lions or Suns and this is what you get served with.

Will be thinking hard on renewing membership next year for myself and twin Grandsons.

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

How many people were allowed to attend the Lions game? Given it’s a “home” game for us you would hope there might be higher allocation for Melbourne members living in QLD. 

• Like 1

There was an allowance of up to 10,000 for the Lions game because of the local team playing. 

HOWEVER THE AFL HAS RESTRICTED THIS WEEKS CROWD (DEES V POWER) TO ONLY 500 MAX DUE TO “TWO INTERSTATE TEAMS PLAYING, THURSDAY NIGHT, AND COSTS OF THE COVID PLAN”. 

AFL apparently happy for no one to actually attend. 

• Angry 3

2 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

There was an allowance of up to 10,000 for the Lions game because of the local team playing. 

HOWEVER THE AFL HAS RESTRICTED THIS WEEKS CROWD (DEES V POWER) TO ONLY 500 MAX DUE TO “TWO INTERSTATE TEAMS PLAYING, THURSDAY NIGHT, AND COSTS OF THE COVID PLAN”. 

AFL apparently happy for no one to actually attend. 

That's where the club needs to be proactive and lobby the AFL to allow at least 1k then just maybe the Brisbane members of both clubs may get in. In any case I think it's poor form. Back in 80's used to take my son to most games in Melb and now want to take kids and grand kids along. Pay membership to basically only see Lions/Suns games and like 2 years ago we did not play up here. This is a great chance to see us play Port, North and Magpies live and who ever after that

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

This is either a Gabba or AFL directive to keep the crowd to a bare number to save costs

I suspect the break even for a smaller stadium is around 15-20k in normal times.

It would be impossible now. Understandably they are trying to limit their losses.

That's why the AFL is desperate to fill all its exhibition deals in NT, Tassie Cairns etc

1 minute ago, Docs Demons said:

That's where the club needs to be proactive and lobby the AFL to allow at least 1k then just maybe the Brisbane members of both clubs may get in. In any case I think it's poor form. Back in 80's used to take my son to most games in Melb and now want to take kids and grand kids along. Pay membership to basically only see Lions/Suns games and like 2 years ago we did not play up here. This is a great chance to see us play Port, North and Magpies live and who ever after that

Correct. It’s another example of Dees getting bentOVER by the AFL 

So where is Pert and Bartlett.  Quiet times from the head men. 

• Like 1

Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

I suspect the break even for a smaller stadium is around 15-20k in normal times.

It would be impossible now. Understandably they are trying to limit their losses.

That's why the AFL is desperate to fill all its exhibition deals in NT, Tassie Cairns etc

Limit losses?  Crowd of 500 still require toilets open and food services available and sanitary processes (sanitizer, distancing) and after match cleaning.  500 or 1000 or 2500 requires the same costs !!! It’s Economies of scale. 

• Like 2

Shattered! 

Talked to the club and got the response above. 
I used my free members ticket to Sunday nights game. 
Guess I can’t complain to much as all you lot down in Melbourne can’t go at all. But this opportunity for us up here in QLD to see a few live Dees games in a row probably won’t happen again, and now to be told we can’t go is shattering! Was really looking forward to going Thursday night and had already taken work off so I could make it. 

Edited by Brady
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, kallangurdemon said:

i didnt use the free  ticket for Sunday night as i thought Thursday nights allocation might favour those who adopted this course .Best i could do was be placed in the ballot so just hoping 

Good luck mate. Hope you get a ticket. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Not the Fault of the Club. 

Port are still in “Quarantine” on Thursday..

Is that correct? You are only required to quarantine in QLD coming from Victoria, and even then, there was 20k plus there to watch 2 quarantining sides (Geelong/Collingwood) to play in Perth two weeks back.

Edited by Forest Demon

Pert has to pickup the phone to the AFL and make sure we can get 15000 to the Pies game. And not get screwed in tix allocation. 

MFC needs to get all Qld members along to the Dees v Pies “whatever it takes”. 

The Saturday night v Pies should be a big game. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Forest Demon said:

Is that correct? You are only required to quarantine in QLD coming from Victoria, and even then, there was 20k plus there to watch 2 quarantining sides (Geelong/Collingwood) to play in Perth two weeks back.

You could be right. I am just guessing 

But Port only Crossed Borders 1-2 days ago, so i am thinking that is the reason for a smaller crowd. 
If it is different i would be interested to know

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes and MFC gets 250 tix and Port 250 tix even though we are the home club. FFS. Gil and the team are tools.  Why not try to seize the chance to promote AFL in QLD and give interstate members a chance ! 

Even when strictly observing social distancing, queues, seats and gateways, there is adequate space for careful and aware people to attend the game - possibly up to 3000-5000, without compromising the covid-19 recommendations. It is a shame that these days there are so many thoughtless 'wanna-be types' who spoil it for others. Gil's decision, in this world of the fancies, assures safety and thus, preserves the safety from hazards and absolute compromise of the innocent.

Sad times, affects us all, and the MFC has no real 'say' in it all. The AFL has made the decision. 

The messenger is the MFC and the Port Club so, in the interests of public safety and health, do not shoot the messenger. It is difficult, it is largely unfair. As a substitute, the game is well televised and broadcast, at least, and should be a ripper confrontation. 'Carna Dees! 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 2

I can only assume it is more a financial decision, rather than anything to do with social distancing or anything like that. All other recent games have had attendances (at least in the 1000's rather than 500). I think 500 might be some sort of tipping point where the club/league doesn't have to involve additional ground staff, public resource etc. But this is guesswork, and I am no expert.

On one hand, I can understand. It's a tough year, and we need to make ends meet.

On the other hand, it's frustrating this hasn't been communicated at all until people have reached out. I'm sure there are people who didn't go on Sunday, under the assumption they would attend Thursday's game in Brisbane.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Forest Demon said:

On the other hand, it's frustrating this hasn't been communicated at all until people have reached out. I'm sure there are people who didn't go on Sunday, under the assumption they would attend Thursday's game in Brisbane.

Yes this is the key point. Rather than trek down to the GC on a raining Sunday night, some QLD members probably thought a game at the Gabba in Brisbane was preferred.  It’s the AFL (not MFC) that is making it hard to enjoy the game.