Jonesy to 300?

Billy

2 hours ago, 58er said:

No it's not interesting BW511

To insinuate Jonesy has been gifted games while at Melb over his career Is  cruel, Unforgiving and downright insulting.

Since 2006 until now when has he played poorly enough that he would have been dropped for players such as Bartram Mat Jones Kennedy and James Magner.

Did Nate keep out Bartram Kennedy Mat Jones or James Magner for instance to get to this total. NO so your idea has no Sense or merit and quite frankly will make most Demons fans feel sick at your Suggestion.

Sometimes better not to say ( or write ) something if it' s not nice at all.

I’m not saying he was gifted games, but we have been the laughing stock of the competition throughout that whole period. He hasn’t exactly been surrounded by stars, so I was just pondering if he would have played 300 elsewhere.

It’s a tribute to him that he’s stayed on and fought his way to where he is - he won’t get 300 and I’m entirely comfortable with that because it means there is finally players that can keep him out of the side. At the end of the day, winning games of footy is what we all want.

9 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes, he had a very interrupted preseason with soft tissue problems which have continued into the season despite the long covid break.  In total its been nearly a year to get his body right for AFL level football.

Just can't see his body holding up for another year.  I really hope he gets to play his last (farewell?) games in the seniors.

Hopefully, he knows when it is time to hang up the boots and makes the call himself rather than the club having to make the call.

I think he will hang them up at the end of the year and I have no doubt he will get a farewell game. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, deanox said:

Successful clubs playing finals allow players to get there a bit easier.

An average of 2 finals a year over a 15 year career (this is Jones' 15th season) means a possible 360 games. 

Good point, Jordan Lewis’ 319 included 26 finals. Jones 287 includes 5. If Lewis had played his whole career at MFC, assuming he didn’t actually cause us to play more finals and all other things being equal, he’d have finished on 298. Degree of difficulty has been made higher for Jones by spending so much time in crap teams.

Shaun Burgoyne has played 346 home and away games alone. Freak.

• Like 3

Difficult to reconcile 2 competing ideas.

1. We are hungry for success and cannot gift games to anyone, club legend or not.
  2. We must honour our champs. The Junior debacle will stay long in our memories

Jones is not a star of the competition. He is a MFC icon. He stands as a symbol of tenacity and hope during an era where we were a disgrace, where behind the scenes we even tried "the benefits of losing". Game by game, he fought, led, played with dignity and passion, and bled red-and-blue. But he is also an underrated footballer who plays the game at a high level,

The image I most want to see is Jones standing on MCG fence facing the Demon Army at the Punt Rd end, holding a Premiership cup with his trade mark long jawed scream and tattoos pulsing. Sadly, I am fairly sure I won't get to see this. Just one more bloody grief for a Dees supporter.

For mine, he remains in our best 25, and should be given a contract next year. Many reasons, including injuries, can see a club using 35+ players in a season so let's work at getting him to 300. No gifted games, but earned games. I might not see him lift the cup, but surely he is worth every effort to run through his 300 banner.

• Like 2

To me the prospect of manipulating selection to get Jones across the 300 line is out of the question. He’s too far away - the gap is every H&A game remaining this year and a couple of finals. If he was on 299 I might give it a thought, but you can’t carry a non-best 22 for that long just on sentiment.

Unless he happens to go around again in 2021 AND can get his place in the side AND can hold it for that long, he’s not getting to 300. Sad reality I think.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 9:22 AM, Demons11 said:

It seems he maybe really struggling with his body. 

that's a pity for Jones if his body is saying NO - he's going to be our Rod Carter

1 hour ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Difficult to reconcile 2 competing ideas.

1. We are hungry for success and cannot gift games to anyone, club legend or not.
  2. We must honour our champs. The Junior debacle will stay long in our memories

Jones is not a star of the competition. He is a MFC icon. He stands as a symbol of tenacity and hope during an era where we were a disgrace, where behind the scenes we even tried "the benefits of losing". Game by game, he fought, led, played with dignity and passion, and bled red-and-blue. But he is also an underrated footballer who plays the game at a high level,

The image I most want to see is Jones standing on MCG fence facing the Demon Army at the Punt Rd end, holding a Premiership cup with his trade mark long jawed scream and tattoos pulsing. Sadly, I am fairly sure I won't get to see this. Just one more bloody grief for a Dees supporter.

For mine, he remains in our best 25, and should be given a contract next year. Many reasons, including injuries, can see a club using 35+ players in a season so let's work at getting him to 300. No gifted games, but earned games. I might not see him lift the cup, but surely he is worth every effort to run through his 300 banner.

couldn't agree more - with 40-something on the list, if that remains in 2021, let's do it for Jonesey!

On 7/13/2020 at 9:00 AM, Billy said:

Will he get there? If anyone deserves it, it’s Chunk but l fear he will run out of time.

Are we as a club in the position to get him to 300 or do we persist with the youngsters?

He wont get to 300,   Might not even get to 290.

Its only a number anyway.   His legacy is sealed.  He was a ROCK for the Melbourne Footy Club through its darkest years and that should never be forgotten.   Three best and fairests is a great effort.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about what Goodwin would have said to him at half time. If it was me, I wouldn't have given him a spray but told him "You cost us two goals. Make sure you get us two back."

He got us one with the give he gave to Petracca but I didn't notice him too much in the second half (except for another kick out of defence which was a better percentage play than the terrible error in the 2nd).

My Jones-coloured glasses might be influencing me here, but I thought he did an alright job other than that error, providing good link up run between half back and half forward. I think the trick for him now is to play within his limitations and not try to attempt the pinpoint passes that he was able to nail in his peak.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dee man said:

I was thinking about what Goodwin would have said to him at half time. If it was me, I wouldn't have given him a spray but told him "You cost us two goals. Make sure you get us two back."

He got us one with the give he gave to Petracca but I didn't notice him too much in the second half (except for another kick out of defence which was a better percentage play than the terrible error in the 2nd).

My Jones-coloured glasses might be influencing me here, but I thought he did an alright job other than that error, providing good link up run between half back and half forward. I think the trick for him now is to play within his limitations and not try to attempt the pinpoint passes that he was able to nail in his peak.

Your not the only one.

Beside his one blunder I too thought he was good for the rest of the game.

• Like 1