Proud to Belong, Proud to Give

Leoncelli_36

1 minute ago, wonnabeeri said:

So the footballer gets 15 years to chase a ball around a field... Whats stopping them become a nurse or a teacher post footy? Nothing! They probably even have better opportunities than most as they can earn a degree whilst earning big bucks playing footy! Playing footy is a privilege.....

Interesting viewpoint. I'm not sure, though, whether I would class playing footy as a "privilege". I see it as being no different to any other career opportunity that someone might be good at.

Glen spoke well about how we are handling the covid situation but wasn’t asked any questions about our on field performance or if the coach was under pressure by Gerard which was a missed opportunity imo. 

Good news that we're not in as much financial trouble as we might have been. At the same time, though, we should spare a thought for the staff who have lost their jobs during the process. When the President says the club has "taken costs out", cut I expect most of that will be jobs. The club has done the right thing, but we need to remember the human costs involved, too. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Glen spoke well about how we are handling the covid situation but wasn’t asked any questions about our on field performance or if the coach was under pressure by Gerard which was a missed opportunity imo. 

Gerard has become soft as butter

He works for the AFL now...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

We've played one game since it started and lost by 3 points.

Playing well this year... which we havent been. (or last year)

If the fans felt good about MFC the total donated would absolutely be higher. Shouldnt be too hard to understand really.

Several on this site have already indicated that have chosen not to give because of lack of performance. Small snapshot obviously but there is always going to be a cost in sustained lack of success.

You are dreaming if you think otherwise. 

38 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It’s not the score. It’s the method. 
It has been rubbish since Perth September 2018

Not saying I am happy at the moment, just saying we played a side who made a prelim last year and lost by 3.

Most teams are struggling, give the boys some time.

The one thing I am unhappy about is the number of weekly changes we are currently swinging. How can the side build any form of continuity if we are switch 5-6 players each week?

Just now, ding said:

Playing well this year... which we havent been. (or last year)

If the fans felt good about MFC the total donated would absolutely be higher. Shouldnt be too hard to understand really.

Several on this site have already indicated that have chosen not to give because of lack of performance. Small snapshot obviously but there is always going to be a cost in sustained lack of success.

You are dreaming if you think otherwise. 

I understand it, just not really the type of supporters I like to associate with.

7 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I understand it, just not really the type of supporters I like to associate with.

Bully for you champ.

Im devastated.

17 minutes ago, ding said:

Bully for you champ.

Im devastated.

I purchased a jersey because I want to get behind the club.

Do I agree with all the decisions at the moment? absolutely not.

Do I love the club? Absolutely, otherwise I wouldn't be on a forum posting....

The better our financial position, the better we should be able to perform long term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Gerard has become soft as butter

He works for the AFL now...

More likely, Whately realised that any questions about onfield performance would have been played with a mundane, straight bat which would have added nothing to the conversation. Far better to ask questions on topics that would at least have a chance of getting interesting answers. 

5 hours ago, DemonOX said:

He said he expected us to finish in the finals.

That's a pretty definitive statement.

If we don't I expect the coach and FD will be under pressure.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I purchased a jersey because I want to get behind the club.

Do I agree with all the decisions at the moment? absolutely not.

Do I love the club? Absolutely, otherwise I wouldn't be on a forum posting....

The better our financial position, the better we should be able to perform long term.

And that's awesome absolutely. But the club has just got to show us right now that they are still on the right track and then this will influence the critical mass of members and fans. Unfortunately it's just the way it all works and people by nature want results, if everyone had the same attitude as you and were in the position to help the fundraiser would be over in an hour. Not as simple as that I'm afraid. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, rjay said:

He said he expected us to finish in the finals.

That's a pretty definitive statement.

If we don't I expect the coach and FD will be under pressure.

RJAY, what does that pressure look like? Angry stern looks from the board? A conversation about 'you're under pressure mate?' You don't think they all fire trucking know it?

Sorry @rjay its not about you per se (the next bit)

The hilarious thing about these ' he's under pressure' comments is the fact that you walk into a job knowing that if you don't perform you're out. You're under pressure from day dot.. it never just appears. The nuance is looking at the bigger picture than W/L/D, and checking your own urgency (as a member of the board/fd or other) with all available data. Now the issue is supporters don't have all the available data.

@layzie, this is why I believe they're on the right track

We typically want linear improvement. If it doesnt happen, then it's received as a problem. I posted on another thread about 2 hours ago, about 2019 being a write off from injury/preseason perspective) and the fact that there was never any expectation because of that factor to be able to perform optimally. Why supporters expect optimal performance in that context doesn't surprise me, because they don't have data. 

The other thing as to why Goodwin wont be under pressure due merely to losses (and not blow outs, just losses) is beacause of the demographic of the athletes at the club, particularly the midfield. 

2019 was a clusterfork due to injury

2020 is a clusterfork due to Covid and the fact that we have so so so so so so so many players who have not played together (people forget this is so incredibly important...just look at Richmond, Collingwood and WCE)

But we lump it altogether and don't pick apart the nuance.

Goodwin happens to be at the helm during some unprecedented times (2019 due to injury/rehab) 2020 due to covid with really really young humans  who have played fire truck all together.

I get that pleases very few of you... because of the yearning, the absolute yearning to see success and a constant upward trajectory. 

Anyway... that's why ive contributed some coin.

Edited by Engorged Onion

Just had a listen to Glenn Bartlett's radio interview today. I have no problem with him taking the quiet approach on things, at least publicly. A welcome change from people like Koch, McGuire and Kennett. I also like the 'we'll play anywhere, no excuses' mantra from the top of the organisation that will hopefully filter through to the playing group. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

More likely, Whately realised that any questions about onfield performance would have been played with a mundane, straight bat which would have added nothing to the conversation. Far better to ask questions on topics that would at least have a chance of getting interesting answers. 

He played it safe. Answers about our performance would be far more interesting 

1 hour ago, Action Jackson said:

Not saying I am happy at the moment, just saying we played a side who made a prelim last year and lost by 3.

Most teams are struggling, give the boys some time.

The one thing I am unhappy about is the number of weekly changes we are currently swinging. How can the side build any form of continuity if we are switch 5-6 players each week?

Our game style is exactly the same as last year, and that got us to 17th position 

The Weekly Press Conférence is almost word for word the same

I have given the boys ample time

The Coach has had four years + 2 with Roosy...

• Like 1

Keep the questions to what he knows.  If they want to ask about onfield issues, invite a senior player or coach onto the show.  If you want to give fans an insight into how a club functions during these unprecedented challenges, invite a president.

• Like 1