Former Dees Assistant Jennings Wants To Scrap VFL

Demonland

“What I saw in the match committee was little care for the results at VFL level. When you go out there you want to win because learning how to win is a skill. But I look at the financial part of it and I know where I’d be spending the money."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Well, why not. After grass roots & country footy, why not go on with the knife and end VFL? Next, ammos and suburban leagues. We all know there's only one league that counts, so why not have only that one?

But female participation is up

The AFL has hidden behind Female Football for the past 4 years.  The VFL is an amazing product, lucky for me I can work down and watch a stand alone club which still has that community football feel about them.

Casey has been a strong team based on good top up players and the Melbourne players being strong at VFL level but struggle to step up to AFL level.

3 hours ago, Demonland said:

“What I saw in the match committee was little care for the results at VFL level. When you go out there you want to win because learning how to win is a skill. But I look at the financial part of it and I know where I’d be spending the money."

He's right... the worst thing for footy over the long-term,  has been the AFL taking over the VFL.

Its time to set the VFL free.

Let market forces dictate the VFL's future.  I think the future would be bright.

57 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Casey has been a strong team based on good top up players and the Melbourne players being strong at VFL level but struggle to step up to AFL level.

This is why the VFL is endangered. For reasons that are beyond me VFL form rarely converts to AFL form. At best it delivers an injured best 22 player a few weeks of match practice before rejoining the main team. This can be done reasonably well by an alternative training program at far lesser cost.

Finally the AFL has largely killed off the community spirit aspect of the VFL competition. It has always been a pleasure going along to the standalone clubs and seeing their supporters passion for their club but in the main they are a mature declining group.

Long live the Burra Burger !!

• Like 2

Comments at about 25 minute mark above.

I don't think Jennings is really saying winning isn't important, he even says the opposite. The Dogs had a good VFL team before their flag when he was there. We had a strong Casey side as we went up the ladder.

He's saying the teams and the competition of the current VFL means little, and the structure of a VFL fixture often hampers players on the fringes who need to be held over as emergencies etc and it's hard to disagree with that. Forking out a heap of money to prop the rest of the VFL up and get a special branding on a reserves comp does seem a waste.

It's sad that the AFL took over the VFA and created a mess of a competition. Williamstown, Port Melbourne, Werribee, Frankston, Coburg and anyone else who can get a team together would be better off back in their traditional VFA league.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Comments at about 25 minute mark above.

I don't think Jennings is really saying winning isn't important, he even says the opposite. The Dogs had a good VFL team before their flag when he was there. We had a strong Casey side as we went up the ladder.

He's saying the teams and the competition of the current VFL means little, and the structure of a VFL fixture often hampers players on the fringes who need to be held over as emergencies etc and it's hard to disagree with that. Forking out a heap of money to prop the rest of the VFL up and get a special branding on a reserves comp does seem a waste.

It's sad that the AFL took over the VFA and created a mess of a competition. Williamstown, Port Melbourne, Werribee, Frankston, Coburg and anyone else who can get a team together would be better off back in their traditional VFA league.

Honestly 'Dee' if the AFL hadn't of taken it over it would be long dead and buried.

Yes it's a mess of a competition agreed...is it better to have a mess or nothing?

I guess that's the question.

15 minutes ago, rjay said:

Honestly 'Dee' if the AFL hadn't of taken it over it would be long dead and buried.

Yes it's a mess of a competition agreed...is it better to have a mess or nothing?

i think the loss of sunday football (including tv) to the afl was the nail in the coffin

• Like 3

I'd very much like to see a return to the reserves competition but I don't know how that will happen given everything that has gone on with the coronavirus and tightening of the screws. 

Carlton dumping their VFL team so unceremoniously (and frankly with a lot of disrespect) could be the first domino to fall in the AFL no longer having VFL/WAFL/SANFL affiliates, but I was really please that Melbourne actually went to opposite direction and said they would be sticking by Casey.

I think a reserves/2nds competition  is needed, nothing can truly simulate playing in match conditions against players that are quite happy to smash their opponent into the ground. How this happens post COVID-19 will be anyone's guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjay said:

The huge number of suburban leagues with plenty of cash across Melbourne show there's opportunity for thriving clubs and leagues, just a matter of setting reasonable salary caps or the points system and having the rivalries to drive interest. The set up I would favour though is to have the VFA partner and run the junior development as the state leagues do in WA and SA. 

I'm too young to know why that didn't happen here or if that was even discussed but that could save a lot of money with current VFL and NAB League teams both trying to run semi professional operations. They could share coaches, fitness staff, admin and facilities and it would also stream line the development process and keep kids who aren't drafted in an elite program rather than dropping back to local leagues.

Not sure this current situation is the ideal time for huge changes though. Budgets will be tight but I'd imagine we'd try to enhance the Casey relationship not trash it as Carlton have done their side. Given clubs have been allowed to stand pretty much everyone down without pay I'm staggered that Carlton just turfed their alignment.

I don't know enough about the economics of the VFL to know whether it can survive as a standalone competition. My best guess would be that it would have been struggling before the Covid-19 induced economic downturn and will therefore be in real trouble from now on.

What I don't like is the way it's structured as a mish-mash of a competition. It's neither one thing or the other. It's part AFL reserves and part independent competition, which leads to conflicting outcomes and expectations. The standalone clubs want to win; the AFL-linked clubs want to use it as a tool to rest, educate and bring players back from injury. Add to that a playing schedule which seems to have byes all over the place and it's not really serving a purpose that suits anyone.  

While I would rather a standalone reserves competition, I can't see that happening now either, given the economic circumstances which will put pressure on list numbers. My prediction is that the AFL will formally separate from the VFL in the next year or two  and the VFL will live or die on its own merits.

With a reduction in list numbers and perhaps the thoughts of the AFL becoming separate from the VFL, maybe another option as a feeder competition is a reduced format of the game at reserve level. Shorter quarters, less players out on the field (incidentally a rule change I would not be against for the AFL), something closer to a scratch match to keep the players match fit.

7 hours ago, Pates said:

I'd very much like to see a return to the reserves competition but I don't know how that will happen given everything that has gone on with the coronavirus and tightening of the screws. 

The key to this is to pay the first 22 players less of the money pool,  allowing enough for bigger lists. 

The AFL wanting the Big salaries to entice young players to AFL,  has done this.

Pay em less and bring back the reserves and U-19's.

Let the VFA go back to where it was,  and allow it to re-establish in the communities.

The whole Key is,  LESS greed.!

12 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The huge number of suburban leagues with plenty of cash across Melbourne show there's opportunity for thriving clubs and leagues, just a matter of setting reasonable salary caps or the points system and having the rivalries to drive interest. The set up I would favour though is to have the VFA partner and run the junior development as the state leagues do in WA and SA. 

I'm too young to know why that didn't happen here or if that was even discussed but that could save a lot of money with current VFL and NAB League teams both trying to run semi professional operations. They could share coaches, fitness staff, admin and facilities and it would also stream line the development process and keep kids who aren't drafted in an elite program rather than dropping back to local leagues.

Not sure this current situation is the ideal time for huge changes though. Budgets will be tight but I'd imagine we'd try to enhance the Casey relationship not trash it as Carlton have done their side. Given clubs have been allowed to stand pretty much everyone down without pay I'm staggered that Carlton just turfed their alignment.

There aren't a huge number of suburban leagues & there isn't plenty of cash.

There will be a lot less now.

The boom/bust cycle is alive & well in local footy.

Whilst there are some wealthy clubs most struggle to stay in existence & put teams on the park.

The VFA was dead & buried when the AFL started playing Sunday games as 'daisy' pointed out.

The stand alone clubs can barely stand alone.

Port, probably the most famous of the VFA clubs has been on life support for a while now.

Frankston had to close up shop for a while before coming back in.

The strong local connection to these clubs has died out with the gentrification of their areas.

I don't know a lot about the other state leagues...but the SA Port have struggled for a while now so all can't be rosy there.

If the AFL alignments end, the VFL/VFA will be a thing of the past.

• 4 weeks later...

On 4/15/2020 at 10:54 AM, MyFavouriteMartian said:

He's right... the worst thing for footy over the long-term,  has been the AFL taking over the VFL.

Its time to set the VFL free.

Let market forces dictate the VFL's future.  I think the future would be bright.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, Diamond_Jim said:

This is why the VFL is endangered. For reasons that are beyond me VFL form rarely converts to AFL form. At best it delivers an injured best 22 player a few weeks of match practice before rejoining the main team. This can be done reasonably well by an alternative training program at far lesser cost.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:07 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

The AFL should never have taken over the VFA

There was room for both, but AFL greed always wins. 
look at The VFL Fixture 

It is a joke

On 4/15/2020 at 5:06 PM, DeeSpencer said:

I'm too young to know why that didn't happen here or if that was even discussed but that could save a lot of money with current VFL and NAB League teams both trying to run semi professional operations.

On 4/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't know enough about the economics of the VFL to know whether it can survive as a standalone competition. My best guess would be that it would have been struggling before the Covid-19 induced economic downturn and will therefore be in real trouble from now on.

What I don't like is the way it's structured as a mish-mash of a competition. It's neither one thing or the other. It's part AFL reserves and part independent competition, which leads to conflicting outcomes and expectations. The standalone clubs want to win; the AFL-linked clubs want to use it as a tool to rest, educate and bring players back from injury.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:38 AM, MyFavouriteMartian said:

The AFL wanting the Big salaries to entice young players to AFL,  has done this.

Pay em less and bring back the reserves and U-19's.

Let the VFA go back to where it was,  and allow it to re-establish in the communities.

The whole Key is,  LESS greed.!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/433085/sanfl-to-resume-without-payments-to-players-coaches-or-umpires

SANFL to resume without payments to players, coaches or umpires

South Australia's state league football competition is moving closer to a return

THE SANFL will effectively operate as an amateur league this year, with players, coaches and umpires working without payment.

Competition chief executive Jake Parkinson confirmed on Sunday no club would be permitted to pay its players as part of the wider push to ensure clubs survive the global coronavirus pandemic.

The only payments they will receive are from the Federal Government's $1500-a-fortnight JobKeeper package.

"The salary cap will be for zero payment," Parkinson told ABC Grandstand radio.

"We're going to have to exclude payments paid through JobKeeper but … quite simply, if it requires players being paid to go on the ground, we couldn't have a season.

"Clubs are just not in a position to make payments to players right across all of our eight clubs, and from the very beginning, we've said we are looking to come through all of this with the SANFL and the SANFL clubs able to compete for another 143 years.

"That's been the priority and the players said, 'Well, look, we want a season and if that means we go back on the ground and we don't receive payment, then that's what we'll do'.

"That's been the vast majority of the players who've been in that position."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/433085/sanfl-to-resume-without-payments-to-players-coaches-or-umpires

2 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

SANFL to resume without payments to players, coaches or umpires

South Australia's state league football competition is moving closer to a return

THE SANFL will effectively operate as an amateur league this year, with players, coaches and umpires working without payment.

Competition chief executive Jake Parkinson confirmed on Sunday no club would be permitted to pay its players as part of the wider push to ensure clubs survive the global coronavirus pandemic.

The only payments they will receive are from the Federal Government's $1500-a-fortnight JobKeeper package.

"The salary cap will be for zero payment," Parkinson told ABC Grandstand radio.

"We're going to have to exclude payments paid through JobKeeper but … quite simply, if it requires players being paid to go on the ground, we couldn't have a season.

"Clubs are just not in a position to make payments to players right across all of our eight clubs, and from the very beginning, we've said we are looking to come through all of this with the SANFL and the SANFL clubs able to compete for another 143 years.

"That's been the priority and the players said, 'Well, look, we want a season and if that means we go back on the ground and we don't receive payment, then that's what we'll do'.

"That's been the vast majority of the players who've been in that position."

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here 'Martian'?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rjay said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here 'Martian'?

The ability and the desire for locals to support their local teams,  at community levels lives on.

I believe we will step back in time,  'as it were',  to how we did things at a simpler time.  Like community footy,  and Sundays at the local VFA games.

8 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

The ability and the desire for locals to support their local teams,  at community levels lives on.

I believe we will step back in time,  'as it were',  to how we did things at a simpler time.  Like community footy,  and Sundays at the local VFA games.

If only you were right, but those times are long gone.

There will be some re adjustment but then ego & greed will take over.

I don't mean the players either, I'm talking local club Presidents and committees....

The SANFL may get away with it this year but players will move on next year for a pay packet.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, drdrake said:

But female participation is up

The AFL has hidden behind Female Football for the past 4 years.  The VFL is an amazing product, lucky for me I can work down and watch a stand alone club which still has that community football feel about them.

Casey has been a strong team based on good top up players and the Melbourne players being strong at VFL level but struggle to step up t so wo AFL level.

No different to when AFL clubs had reserve teams,many players played great in reserves and never perform well in the seniors that's life, any competition in any sport in the world has had great reserve players never do well in the seniors

Edited by don't make me angry