WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - MITCH BROWN

Lord Nev

A good forward who can kick a set shot from long distance. Rare as hens teeth these days. Will be a good back up player replacement for Weideman whilst we wait for him to break out of his inertia.  If it ever happens. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Do we have to leave 2 spots open for Bennell and Brown? We could leave 1 spot open and let the best man win.

Perhaps, but since they've forgone the National, Rookie and Pre-season draft to train with us I doubt that's the way we would operate. Not to say we've given them guarantees of a position on the list, but if they only had a 50/50 shot I'm sure they would rather take their chances at the draft to improve the likelihood of a 2nd/3rd chance somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

Perhaps, but since they've forgone the National, Rookie and Pre-season draft to train with us I doubt that's the way we would operate. Not to say we've given them guarantees of a position on the list, but if they only had a 50/50 shot I'm sure they would rather take their chances at the draft to improve the likelihood of a 2nd/3rd chance somewhere else.

I don't think Bennell was ever getting a spot from anyone, train on and see how he goes is surely what every team was thinking. If he's right we'll offer him the spot. 

Similarly with Brown, if a team wanted him as a delisted free agent he would've been picked as one. 

If we do leave 2 open spots and have these 2 train on then I'd hope we bring in at least another 18 year old rookie type to have the summer as well. Unfortunately the chances of a long term injury are high and we need the youth coming through. 

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I don't think Bennell was ever getting a spot from anyone, train on and see how he goes is surely what every team was thinking. If he's right we'll offer him the spot. 

Similarly with Brown, if a team wanted him as a delisted free agent he would've been picked as one. 

If we do leave 2 open spots and have these 2 train on then I'd hope we bring in at least another 18 year old rookie type to have the summer as well. Unfortunately the chances of a long term injury are high and we need the youth coming through. 

Fair enough re delisted free agency and Bennell (although Geelong were apparently red hot on him), but facts remain that if we have the view to rookie listing both Brown and Bennell then we need to leave two spots open. If we select someone in the rookie draft prior to them training with us, then we won't have the spot for both of them and it will come down to a 50/50 between those two. I can't see that happening but who knows.

I think we'll leave two spots open personally, and if one doesn't work out then we have a carry over selection for the supplemental pick either at the start of next year or mid year draft.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Because gifting games to youngsters has worked out so well for us previously...

If they can't get a senior game ahead of Brown, they're either not ready or not up to it. The 'young player + afl experience = gun' formula has never worked and never will (we of all teams know that). That's what Casey's for.

He'd be a cheap insurance policy for our injury-prone forwards that will almost certainly offer more in 2020 than a 1st year rookie. Every premiership team has at least a couple of average 'role player' types.

Yes agree to some extent......gifting games not only to young players but many experienced players as well & this contributed to our demise last year.

I can think of half a dozen experienced players who's form was putrid & Goodwin kept playing them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

We're talking about filling the last 2 list spots with Bennell and Brown. Goat hates both ideas. I'd like to hear the alternatives.

There aren't any!!! I really like the way we have done this! Get them both in.! I like it a lot!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Do they have names?

Ha ha.....what you don't know?

The players who continually turned the ball over is no surprise & we all know who they were.....Just look at who plays in the mid-field.

Payers with the ability to transition the ball in the back line, with speed, poise etc are few & far between......I guess Langdon will ad to that area, however, its been well documented that his disposal is poor.

I think to first game v WCE will see if this area is still a concern for us.

I dunno whether anyone has noticed but that's four people from Essendon. at least. How would we go about changing our name partly or just getting equal use of their facilities..... 

On 11/21/2019 at 10:52 AM, Laughing Goat said:

I can think of half a dozen experienced players who's form was putrid & Goodwin kept playing them.

Mate, if Goodwin only picked players who deserved selection we would have had about 8 players on the field all year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, willmoy said:

I dunno whether anyone has noticed but that's four people from Essendon. at least. How would we go about changing our name partly or just getting equal use of their facilities..... 

We're being charitable... think of them as rescue puppies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, Dr. Mubutu said:

Shame we can't package up pick #97 and [insert scapegoat player here] for a 2nd-rounder.

Oscar or Spargo would be a good deal! for a second rounder!

IMO Brown replaces Pedo and Langdon replaces Vince, two players that we sorely missed in 2019, hopefully we have learned that you cannot fill holes with kids!!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Looking through our list and vulnerability , the key forwards look light on. Brown can provide experience and proven ability.  Definitely good to get him onboard for 2-3 years as depth to cover this. 2019 showed this glaring gap 

If Weideman and Petty both get back in to full training and are looking decent, if Preuss continues to show the right application and if we draft Jackson then I'd imagine Brown's stay will be closer to 2-3 months than years.

8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Petty will settle into CHB most likely.  He was a drop in forward. Preuss is more of a ruckman whilst Jackson will need lots of development.  Our games without key forwards in the last 5-6 games were shockers. 

Petty is training with the forwards.

• Like 4

I still cant understand the love for Jackson.

Started out at around pick 10, Cal pumped his tyres and linked him to Melbourne 

Suddenly he is a lock in at pick 3.

Amazing given we have no short or medium requirement for a developing ruckman,

are crying out for quality disposers,speed,  good kickers and smallcrumbers, we are odds on to pick Jackson

Just don't understand the strategy.

Kemp Serong Ash and Green would all be ahead in my view.

• Like 5

Other than our two current drug refugees, when did we last get anyone worthwhile from the Bummers?   Wouldn’t trust them one bit. 

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I still cant understand the love for Jackson.

Started out at around pick 10, Cal pumped his tyres and linked him to Melbourne 

Suddenly he is a lock in at pick 3.

Amazing given we have no short or medium requirement for a developing ruckman,

are crying out for quality disposers,speed,  good kickers and smallcrumbers, we are odds on to pick Jackson

Just don't understand the strategy.

Kemp Serong Ash and Green would all be ahead in my view.

You take the best player in the early picks, you don’t pick on positional needs.  If the recruiters think he is the best player at 3, then pick him.  

• Like 1

Was at the Forum. I'm not sure whether it was during Goody's presentation or during Q & A.

I haven't done a report coz most things have been covered by others but I did write the above in my notes.

Actually, going back over my notes I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "game style" or "the plan" very much. Goody (aka "the stubborn") said it will be based around contested footy but it will be tweaked. I was very happy with this. I'm glad he isn't taking the knee jerk approach so many on here would advocate. He may not have reviewed the WC prelim loss but I'm sure he has reviewed the season past. Happy that he will hold to his course and I'm sure the players will be comfortable and welcome the consistency. I think the lesson has been learned that it will not just happen though. I have a personal philosophy that I've hopefully instilled in my children and I think the players have adopted this approach to the preseason.

"If it is to be, it is up to me"

Sorry... words, words, words. Proof will be in the seeing

• Like 2