Are we plotting a late heist?

Demonland

13 minutes ago, mdemon said:

If Jack Martin doesnt get to Carlton, can we get him in the PSD ?

Martin (like Keith) can go into the national draft, as opposed to PSD, with terms set for price and years. Any club with a pick willing to meet those terms can take him. Luke Ball did that, Saints got 0.

Edited by Moonshadow

3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I saw that.  Martin is already a GCS player so couldn't see why they need to re-draft him at all.  They just give him a new contract.

I guess that's down to Martin himself, if he speaks to GC and they say they will 100% redraft him then he might just say "well fine let's just do the contract now then".

3 minutes ago, Pates said:

I guess that's down to Martin himself, if he speaks to GC and they say they will 100% redraft him then he might just say "well fine let's just do the contract now then".

He would have to get GCS to delist him first and can't see why they would do that nor why Martin would want to be delisted.  I reckon the journo didn't think it through before going to print.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

He would have to get GCS to delist him first and can't see why they would do that nor why Martin would want to be delisted.  I reckon the journo didn't think it through before going to print.

I think it's a quote from GC themselves to say they are playing hardball.

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Funny after I posted I thought $5 was probably closer.

There's a fella currently moving around town finding out. Lets us know what the minimum cost is and how much you get for that. Pretty sure the answer is a lot for not that much

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/food-and-drink/article/defining-minimum-chips-maximum-mission-melbourne-enthusiast

• Like 1

I might be a bit slow on the uptake, but if Green is in the draft, and we have pick 3, how can GWS prevent us selecting him if he’s not taken with picks 1 or 2?

35 minutes ago, jimbo1982 said:

Taranto was GWS best on ground in the GF. 

Hardly a surprise given the Tigers game plan lets inside mids without great skills rack up the ball. And McCluggage was good in both of Brisbane’s finals and maybe best on against the Cats in round 22 that set them up with home finals. 

The point is I don’t mind giving up a Taranto if we get a McCluggage and Berry and ideally a 3rd piece.

6 minutes ago, jimbo1982 said:

I might be a bit slow on the uptake, but if Green is in the draft, and we have pick 3, how can GWS prevent us selecting him if he’s not taken with picks 1 or 2?

His part of their academy so they can match our pick with the 20% discount

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jimbo1982 said:

Same thing that happened with Heeney. We select him and then they have to match the pick with enough points from their remaining picks.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Same thing that happened with Heeney. We select him and then they have to match the pick with enough points from their remaining picks.

Only difference is now they have to use up points from their next picks (as opposed to a whole bunch of late picks).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

They don't have to delist him do they? If they can't get him to sign a new contract he has to go to the PSD as an uncontracted player (not a delisted free agent) where Gold Coast can simply draft him again as they have first pick in the PSD.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

They don't have to delist him do they? If they can't get him to sign a new contract he has to go to the PSD as an uncontracted player (not a delisted free agent) where Gold Coast can simply draft him again as they have first pick in the PSD.

Don't know the technicalities but if a player is still on a list how does he go into the PSD? 

Either way he ends up at GCS so it doesn't make sense to do the 'dancing'.

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Don't know the technicalities but if a player is still on a list how does he go into the PSD? 

Either way he ends up at GCS so it doesn't make sense to do the 'dancing'.

His contract expires October 31 so he would be an uncontracted player as of November 1 and can go to the draft.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

His contract expires October 31 so he would be an uncontracted player as of November 1 and can go to the draft.

I think we are saying the same thing in that uncontracted = delisted.

1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

Only difference is now they have to use up points from their next picks (as opposed to a whole bunch of late picks).

Does this mean we can match Gold Coast when they make their 1st pick by using “points” from our 3rd pick?

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I saw that.  Martin is already a GCS player so couldn't see why they need to re-draft him at all.  He hasn't been delisted so they just give him a new contract and keep the PSD pick.

Only if he signs the contract

Not necessarily, allowing your contract run out is slightly different. If he is delisted before his contract runs out (as is quite normal) it allows a player to make his way to a club without any fuss, if his contact runs out then I believe (I could be wrong) that date is past the point of allowing a player free movement to the club of his choice. Meaning that player must nominate for either draft.

Edited by Pates

50 minutes ago, jimbo1982 said:

Does this mean we can match Gold Coast when they make their 1st pick by using “points” from our 3rd pick?

given that Rowell and Anderson aren't in any academy (let alone ours), no. Hypothetically, if GC selected a player at pick 1 who was in our NGA, then we would have the right to match that bid.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

They're two different things though. A club delisting a player means they no longer want him, have actively delisted him and he becomes a free agent. An uncontracted player means club and player were unable to come to terms and his contract lapsed following the trade period. He is not delisted at that stage just uncontracted. So he is not a free agent but he can go back into the national or preseason draft.

Otherwise every uncontracted player would just let their contracts lapse and become delisted free agents.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

My understanding was that they need to enter national draft before they can enter pre season draft. What’s stopping Hawks using a pick in the 80s of national draft to take him? We sure as hell arnt gonna use 3 or 8 on him.