Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - KYSAIAH KROPINYERI PICKETT



Recommended Posts

Another thing I'll add here is, it looks likely that we will pick up Harley Bennell. I don't think he'll get back to his midfield best so as I've said in another thread I'd play him as the small forward option, skillful, indigenous goal sense. He comes for nothing, do we really need Pickett at 10? Just a thought.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been waiting for my coffee in Horsham and fell into conversation with the happy indigenous gent beside me in a MFC tee shirt. He turned out to be the very proud father of Kysaiah having a pit sto

As an aside, I loved seeing Brad Green back in an MFC polo. The guy is a club legend, and (as everyone knows) he has endured seriously tragic and unwanted life experience in recent times - and he

Not all. On SEN. Former Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy “absolutely loved” Pickett's aggression as the Demons announced themselves a premiership contender.  “This is the young upstart, t

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SFebes said:

Draft experts. You'd have to think/agree that the top 2-3 (Rowell, Anderson, Young) are all tier ones, then you have a group of guys from 4-11ish who are the next group then comes the lucky dip.

I love what Pickett brings to the table don't get me wrong, but as an investor you don't buy a house at the most expensive price because you like it. He's 67kgs, think of how easily Spargo gets pushed off the ball and players of similar size.

With Jackson at 3, which I think is a punt, taking Pickett at 10 is flirting the edge a little. As I've said before, none of us are experts, but from afar it just doesn't feel right, it's the vibe of it I suppose!

If I were to put up or shut up, I'd take Young at 3 and was thinking Kemp/Ash/Stephens at 8, unsure now at 10 whether that mid bunch will surprise and where they'll go, dropping two spots in this draft could prove costly. History shows that some of the best small forwards of the modern era dont average many goals a game and everyone is trained to apply pressure these days, try and turn one of our resting mids into that role, Oliver seems to be the most natural who could snag a couple a game.

It's a real shame Garlett deteriorated later in his career also.

There are no draft experts apart from the recruiters.

With all due respect to Cal Twomey - who is dramatically improving his reporting and presenting and Matt Balmer as far as I know they don't watch enough footy to be called experts. Maybe the other guys from AFL Draft Central could be close. And Knightmare might qualify ..just. Although the question is how long and how thoroughly has he been at it and what access he gets to players, data, medicals, psych profiles etc.

Pickett is seemingly the same height and body shape as Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti who at his physical peak is listed as 171cm and 76-79kg. AMT doesn't seem to struggle to bring down defenders.

AMT is 30 goals, 15 goal assists per season and 12 disposals, 4 tackles per game player. When he kicks a goal Essendon win. When he goes goal less Essendon lose. 

Entering the system at 18 Pickett should reach a higher ceiling on skill and physical development but I'd suggest he's somewhere between an AMT and a Cyril Rioli. Which is about where Dan Rioli fits as well. Pick 10, pick 15, pick 20.. I don't know.

Trying to turn Oliver or Viney in to pressure forwards? Nope. For one they are too important in the midfield. But otherwise they don't have the cat like reflexes and natural reading of the play. We can survive with lesser options trained in the defensive skills - Chandler/Bedford, ANB, Spargo, hopefully a fit Hannan but the truly special defensive pressure guys have special movement skills and innate reflexes.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Another thing I'll add here is, it looks likely that we will pick up Harley Bennell. I don't think he'll get back to his midfield best so as I've said in another thread I'd play him as the small forward option, skillful, indigenous goal sense. He comes for nothing, do we really need Pickett at 10? Just a thought.

Yes. We need Pickett desperately! Pick 10 will be well worth it! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Another thing I'll add here is, it looks likely that we will pick up Harley Bennell. I don't think he'll get back to his midfield best so as I've said in another thread I'd play him as the small forward option, skillful, indigenous goal sense. He comes for nothing, do we really need Pickett at 10? Just a thought.

Bennell could sure add some skill to the forward line but he's a different style of athlete even at his peak. He's smooth and glides across the turf. 

If Indigenous players have an artistry to their games then in music terms Harley is smooth jazz, Kossie is heavy metal.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

Not exactly. Cyril was a top prospect all year and slid come draft time but Daniel’s name only came to attention very late (like Pickett). Two different draft stories.

 

Yeah, you're right actually. Regardless, Daniel shot up the draft boards based on actual output (4 goals in a TAC cup final, among the best afield in the AFL grand final curtain raiser, won the repeat sprint test at the combine, etc). I don't think the same can be said for Pickett. Both, perhaps, are viewed differently in part due to their surname. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pickett at 10 is a reach. His output at Nationals and SAFL (outside one reserves game) is bugger all. On output he’d barely scrape into the top 50 prospects. He's clearly got some special talents, but for the most part he hasn’t even got the basics down pat yet. 

People are getting worked up about some big hits he’s laid to unsuspecting opponents in the SAFL reserves... If he tried those bumps at AFL level he’d bounce off most players because he’s 170cms and 67kg. He’s tiny, like Spargo and despite all the ferocious intent in the world they’ll always struggle because they’re small. Even for a small forward he’s small.

People comparing him to Cyril are having a lend. Cyril was rated top 10 in his draft year and slid because he displayed poor attitude when interviewing. In terms of output, he was miles ahead of Pickett. Output aside, he’s also 8cms taller and 13kgs heavier. 

Pickett will always be a limited footballer and is not worthy of a top 10 draft pick.

People say they trust the club will pick the right player, I don’t. The club has proven to be wrong over and over again. We’re currently a failure of a football club and just finished 17th. There will be other players available at 10 who are unarguably better prospects than Pickett. We need to pick the best talent available, not reach for a type of player.

  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SFebes said:

at 67kg he won't be doing much bone crunching for a few years at AFL level. We gave up a bit to get pick 8 which is potential A grade territory, not sure I'd be giving that up and moving into the teens for a couple of tier 2/3's. Especially taking into account the possibility of Jackson at 3.

The last i saw he was 71kg ....beefed up already SF!  Problem solved.  Also grown 1cm to a huge 171cm 😁

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

People comparing him to Cyril are having a lend.

Agreed - they are both indigenous forwards with skills, that's about where the similarity ends I reckon. AMT looks a far better comparison in terms of body type and attributes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Another thing I'll add here is, it looks likely that we will pick up Harley Bennell. I don't think he'll get back to his midfield best so as I've said in another thread I'd play him as the small forward option, skillful, indigenous goal sense. He comes for nothing, do we really need Pickett at 10? Just a thought.

Bennell is still very much a high risk and may not get on the park 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Bennell could sure add some skill to the forward line but he's a different style of athlete even at his peak. He's smooth and glides across the turf. 

If Indigenous players have an artistry to their games then in music terms Harley is smooth jazz, Kossie is heavy metal.

Why do we need a "small" forward? We just need a crumber who can kick goals, whether they glide, spin, dance or whatever they do.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

 

Trying to turn Oliver or Viney in to pressure forwards? Nope. 

That isn't what I meant, my mistake. I'm just saying the resting mids down there can rove and set up goals, not do it full time.

For eg: Dusty, Danger, Bont.

Edited by SFebes
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Why do we need a "small" forward? We just need a crumber who can kick goals, whether they glide, spin, dance or whatever they do.

Crumber - someone who hits the packs and bursts out with acceleration and agility. And more importantly Forward pressure - agility, burst, power. 

They athletic requirements for that role is quick, twitchy and ideally powerful guy. 

Even without dodgy calves Bennell is a different type of athlete. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dees247 said:

Liam is his cousin

Neville is Kossie's cousin as well. Some pretty decent bloodlines there!

56 minutes ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

If small forwards are what we want then surely we tr get two picks in the teens?

If we can get 12 & 18 off Port then that could be Weightman and Pickett.

We won't be able to do it with pick 10 as Port were original owners of that pick before splitting it with St Kilda (it's seen a few homes now!).

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

Pickett at 10 is a reach. His output at Nationals and SAFL (outside one reserves game) is bugger all. On output he’d barely scrape into the top 50 prospects. He's clearly got some special talents, but for the most part he hasn’t even got the basics down pat yet. 

People are getting worked up about some big hits he’s laid to unsuspecting opponents in the SAFL reserves... If he tried those bumps at AFL level he’d bounce off most players because he’s 170cms and 67kg. He’s tiny, like Spargo and despite all the ferocious intent in the world they’ll always struggle because they’re small. Even for a small forward he’s small.

People comparing him to Cyril are having a lend. Cyril was rated top 10 in his draft year and slid because he displayed poor attitude when interviewing. In terms of output, he was miles ahead of Pickett. Output aside, he’s also 8cms taller and 13kgs heavier. 

Pickett will always be a limited footballer and is not worthy of a top 10 draft pick.

People say they trust the club will pick the right player, I don’t. The club has proven to be wrong over and over again. We’re currently a failure of a football club and just finished 17th. There will be other players available at 10 who are unarguably better prospects than Pickett. We need to pick the best talent available, not reach for a type of player.

What pick do you think he is worth, hawks bulldogs and port are also keen on him at there 1st pick, do they have it wrong also?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, brendan said:

What pick do you think he is worth, hawks bulldogs and port are also keen on him at there 1st pick, do they have it wrong also?

Maybe they're keen on Young, Ash or Kemp etc and want us to think they'll take Pickett..

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr evil said:

Nailed it.

Sadly we think the comp is singing kumbaya and preaching the good faith of win/win outcomes, when really they all want us to lose at their expense and will take advantage of us thinking 'being good to deal with' has future benefits..

Edited by John Demonic
Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Neville is Kossie's cousin as well. Some pretty decent bloodlines there!

We won't be able to do it with pick 10 as Port were original owners of that pick before splitting it with St Kilda (it's seen a few homes now!).

The rule says "directly".  I assume that means you can't trade it to a club and directly trade it back from the same club. I believe if it comes back having been through another club it would be ok. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really understand why its such a big deal taking Pickett so early. If the club absolutely has their sights set on him and the options to pick him up later (with or without pick swaps) are just not feasible then you grab him before anyone else does.

Everyone using the word risk are absolutely right its totally a risk which can be said for most players beyond the first 5 picks in drafts, especially this year as its been well documented that this draft drops away or is at least even pickings (more unknown) after the first couple of picks. 

I think the mentality around drafts has changed. Players like picket who are true X factor players with natural skill, awareness, intensity and physicality only pop up every now and then. They're game winners. There's so many examples the most obvious one being the current small forwards for Richmond.

I'm not saying its going to work out that way with Pickett. But he's worth the risk. His ceiling is higher then most at this points of the draft IMO. Every year there's a draft bolter and this one happens to be exactly what this club needs. He even has the physical traits to give himself every chance of playing AFL next year if he finds the form.

Edited by Yung Blood
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yung Blood said:

I don't really understand why its such a big deal taking Pickett so early. If the club absolutely has their sights set on him and the options to pick him up later (with or without pick swaps) are just not feasible then you grab him before anyone else does.

Everyone using the word risk are absolutely right its totally a risk which can be said for most players beyond the first 5 picks in drafts, especially this year as its been well documented that this draft drops away or is at least even pickings (more unknown) after the first couple of picks. 

I think the mentality around drafts has changed. Players like picket who are true X factor players with natural skill, awareness, intensity and physicality only pop up every now and then. They're game winners. There's so many examples the most obvious one being the current small forwards for Richmond.

I'm not saying its going to work out that way with Pickett. But he's worth the risk. His ceiling is higher then most at this points of the draft IMO. Every year there's a draft bolter and this one happens to be exactly what this club needs. He even has the physical traits to give himself every chance of playing AFL next year if he finds the form.

Yep. I remember many going off their trees when we didn’t pick Parish because he was the “safest bet.” Surely, this club in particular, with Watts, Scully, Trengove, Morton etc etc who everybody rated as sure things has learned some things. Trust the recruiters and Pick the players you think will make it. We have as much chance of an error with a so called “ safe” bet as we do just backing our talent judges. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Welcome to Demonland - Kysaiah Pickett
  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - KYSAIAH KROPINYERI PICKETT
  • Demonland pinned this topic
  • Demonland locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...