Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Sign in to follow this  
Matsuo Basho

Jon Patton

Recommended Posts

On 4/29/2019 at 9:06 PM, Pennant St Dee said:

Yeah those risks they took on Dayle Garlett second time around, Beau Muston after his car crash really worked out.

Ffs they've picked up plenty of duds along the way as have other clubs.

We're not exclusive here

Don't forget Tyrone Vickery

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matsuo Basho said:

See you and raise you.

 

DA9CAEB5-BD45-40B6-AFD7-09537EE7BB87.jpeg

I think we all now realise you a hawks fan. 

Dont let the door hit you on the way out

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deefiant said:

Don't forget Tyrone Vickery

Shaun Burgoyne, Brian Lake, Brent Guerra, Josh Gibson,  David Hale, Ben McEvoy, Jack Gunston, James Frawley, Tom Mitchell, Jaeger OMeara, Tom Scully, Chad Wingard.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I think we all now realise you a hawks fan. 

Dont let the door hit you on the way out

Nope. Melbourne fan.

But also a fan of success. How about you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

When it comes to trading and recruiting some clubs go at 75/25. Others 50/50, the unsuccessful clubs (ie. us) more like 25/75. 

No-one’s perfect sure but to suggest all clubs get 50% right and 50% wrong is clearly nonsense. 

Hawthorn haven’t won 4 flags in ten years for no reason. Beau Dowler and Ty Vickery are among exceptions to a veritable cavalcade of successes. 

Its embarrassing reading our supporters, Moonshadow and others, pot Hawthorn in this thread. Flat out embarrassing.

 Hawks built their nucleus for their flags  by absolutely nailing 2 drafts and then just topped up from 2010 onwards when the expansion clubs came in

2001 - Hodge, Mitchell, Ladson, Brown

2004 - Roughie, Franklin, Lewis, Taylor 

Cats did the same in 2 drafts

1999 - Corey, Chapman, Ling  Enright

2001 - Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J, Ablett, 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So' @Matsuo Basho'...have the Hawks declared they are after Paton or is it one of those media stories?

...or do you have some inside intel form the Hawks that he is a target?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

 Hawks built their nucleus for their flags  by absolutely nailing 2 drafts and then just topped up from 2010 onwards when the expansion clubs came in

2001 - Hodge, Mitchell, Ladson, Brown

2004 - Roughie, Franklin, Lewis, Taylor 

Cats did the same in 2 drafts

1999 - Corey, Chapman, Ling  Enright

2001 - Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J, Ablett, 

Of course they did. That's not the discussion. The discussion was about the quality of their recruiting from other clubs. Some posters opined that it's a 50/50 hit and miss rate across all clubs. Clearly that's not true.Under Clarkson Hawthorn have shot the lights out 80-90% of the time. If they believe Patton is going to make a successful comeback, so should we. 

Edited by Matsuo Basho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rjay said:

So' @Matsuo Basho'...have the Hawks declared they are after Paton or is it one of those media stories?

...or do you have some inside intel form the Hawks that he is a target?

 

2 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

If they believe Patton is going to make a successful comeback, so should we. 

Since you've avoided the question, let me ask again....

Where have they said they are after Paton?

Where they say they believe Paton will make a successful comeback?

...or is it just a media story that you're basing your arguments on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, rjay said:

 

Since you've avoided the question, let me ask again....

Where have they said they are after Paton?

Where they say they believe Paton will make a successful comeback?

...or is it just a media story that you're basing your arguments on?

Sorry, missed your question. Media revelations confirmed my personal sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Of course they did. That's not the discussion. The discussion was about the quality of their recruiting from other clubs. Some posters opined that it's a 50/50 hit and miss rate across all clubs. Clearly that's not true.Under Clarkson Hawthorn have shot the lights out 80-90% of the time. If they believe Patton is going to make a successful comeback, so should we. 

It's easy to top up when you've got a nucleus.

We'll see how good Gragam Wright is building from scratch, bringing O'meara, Mitchell and others in will keep them in finals contention nothing else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Sorry, missed your question. Media revelations confirmed my personal sources.

Translated:

"No sources"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option as a tall forward recruit might be Sam Day from GC17 

Had a rotten run with injury as well but shouldn’t command anything like the big $$ that Patton is already on and will have to be honoured with

He's back playing for the neafl side after that horrific hip injury and from what I understand before this weekend he’s starting to get some fitness back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Another option as a tall forward recruit might be Sam Day from GC17 

Had a rotten run with injury as well but shouldn’t command anything like the big $$ that Patton is already on and will have to be honoured with

He's back playing for the neafl side after that horrific hip injury and from what I understand before this weekend he’s starting to get some fitness back

Went no 3 in his draft. I don't know much about him

Has he performed to anywhere near this ability at senior level? Injuries aside, has he kicked a bag or starred in a match? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Went no 3 in his draft. I don't know much about him

Has he performed to anywhere near this ability at senior level? Injuries aside, has he kicked a bag or starred in a match? 

No, never...well, not that I can recall 

But he’s never had a decent run at it either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 10:53 PM, Matsuo Basho said:

Shaun Burgoyne, Brian Lake, Brent Guerra, Josh Gibson,  David Hale, Ben McEvoy, Jack Gunston, James Frawley, Tom Mitchell, Jaeger OMeara, Tom Scully, Chad Wingard.

 

Doubts about his body but Burgoyne was a superstar, every club would've had him if they could and depending on cost.

Key backs: Lake, Frawley 
Rucks: Hale, McEvoy

Those types were always going to work as they were filling needs in a great side with great culture, fitness staff and so on.

Gibson was a wonderful pick to get an undersized 3rd tall type and make him a gun CHB in a zone defending system. Guerra similar - take a talent and put them in a new position. Gunston a star on the rise. Mitchell similar, great get to fill a need.

But O'Meara (given the price), Scully and Wingard the verdict is out and they've had guys like Jon O'Rourke along the way. 

It would be silly just to try to copy and one up their every move. They've lost their fitness boss to Carlton. They've lost many of their superstar players. They might lose some of their culture. They might lose their coach eventually. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

No, never...well, not that I can recall 

But he’s never had a decent run at it either 

I’d consider 112 AFL matches more than a decent run at it. He’s looked decent down back, but rubbish up forward. Combined with injury history and at 26 years of age, I’d pass.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, Patton is not suited for the modern game.

GWS play better with the more mobile forwards of Cameron and Himmelberg.

We don't need another slow, one dimensional footballer that's had three knee reco's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Doubts about his body but Burgoyne was a superstar, every club would've had him if they could and depending on cost.

Key backs: Lake, Frawley 
Rucks: Hale, McEvoy

Those types were always going to work as they were filling needs in a great side with great culture, fitness staff and so on.

Gibson was a wonderful pick to get an undersized 3rd tall type and make him a gun CHB in a zone defending system. Guerra similar - take a talent and put them in a new position. Gunston a star on the rise. Mitchell similar, great get to fill a need.

But O'Meara (given the price), Scully and Wingard the verdict is out and they've had guys like Jon O'Rourke along the way. 

It would be silly just to try to copy and one up their every move. They've lost their fitness boss to Carlton. They've lost many of their superstar players. They might lose some of their culture. They might lose their coach eventually. 

If Keilty comes along this season, we MAY not need to chase the General.  and hit the draft up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

I’d consider 112 AFL matches more than a decent run at it. He’s looked decent down back, but rubbish up forward. Combined with injury history and at 26 years of age, I’d pass.

tbh, i had no idea he was 26 or that he's clocked up over 100 games

i thought he'd be about 24ish with less than 80 to his name, such as it is with the amount of injuries he's had

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Demonland said:

 

“Patton has garnered interest from other Victorian clubs but seems certain to eventually find his way to the Hawks in a trade for a mid-range pick given his lack of recent football.”

‘Seems certain’ is quite different to ‘is certain’. 

Still a very interesting cut price option for us as a key forward. Put in the Plan B or C folder in case the Ben Brown deal falls through. 

A lot of water to go under under the bridge between now and trade week. I would not be surprised in the slightest if we are one of the other Vic clubs to enquire about Patton.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit - Actually changed my mind about this post, not getting sucked in to this rubbish anymore.

Edited by Lord Nev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...