• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Reality bites at the Dome

Whispering_Jack

Happy to ask Fan...

Do we have a likely focal point at CHF or are we going to continue to enter the forward line via the wing/flank?

How did you see our "run+carry+hit target" from half back and through the centre?

I understand Whitey played forward - will Jamar or PJ play 1st ruck releasing JW forward?

How did Neaves go?

Do you think we will stay as tall ahead of centre this year?

How did you assess Miller?

Thanks,

SBT

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add a few things:

- Really like Dunn - his movement, foot skills, awareness and goal nous are impressive. He does need to improve his aggression at the footy, especially when it is at ground level. He can take the easy option and go to ground rather than keeping his feet. He is a big kid and needs to exert some physical presence. He's very young so there's time for that and experience and confidence will help in this regard. Miller has this aggression, but Dunn shades him in just about all other areas.

- Our ruck stocks are thin. Big, big trouble if Jamar or White go down.

- Bell was good but he was hardly facing top opposition. I am a huge Bell fan but I'm not reading too much into him demolishing Newton.

- Thought Yze showed a bit more of a defensive mindset with a couple good tackles, which is positive.

- Love Bate - a big, powerful midfield machine.

- CJ is a class act and looks like he is getting better and should really put his name forward for best 22 during the NAB Cup. ATM he is not best 22 but he should be knocking the door down if his form/improvement continues.

.......and whilst we're on the topic of top up players, I'd love to know who No.10 for the Light Blue team was. Played midfield and was one of the better players on the day. Slight frame, but worked the traffic beautifully. There was a whisper he might have been Wayne Jackson's son....

One of Wayne Johnston's sons was definately playing. Marc, about 22 who plays at Sandy. The younger son Tomi who did a pre-season with Carlton also may have played. He is 18 with a very slight frame. Anyone who went to the game and knows anything about how these top-up players went please let us know. Also interested how Valenti went because i know he was playing and there are some who consider him a bit stiff to not have been given a rookie spot on a list this year.

Happy to ask Fan...

Do we have a likely focal point at CHF or are we going to continue to enter the forward line via the wing/flank?

We don't have a Brown, Tredrea or Reiwoldt so I don't anticipate much change to the way we go forward. Both Dunn and Miller are mobile talls so I'm hoping for movement and options.

How did you see our "run+carry+hit target" from half back and through the centre?

I understand it has been a focus this preseason but there was no "wow" factor with the change of gameplan. I think it will take a while to impliment.

I understand Whitey played forward - will Jamar or PJ play 1st ruck releasing JW forward?

Very much doubt it. White will be No1 ruckman but is being protected in practice matches. Ironic he got hurt. Jamar was ok today. PJ and Neaves didn't do much and as Scoop says we will be laid bare if White and Jamar go down.

How did Neaves go?

See above. I think Neaves shows something but is definately a work in progress. He'll never be an elite ruckman, but he kicks quite well and he is sure with his marking. In time he may make it to be competitive.

Do you think we will stay as tall ahead of centre this year?

Neitz Dunn and Miller will be tall forwards. Robbo is also tall I guess, not that he is, he just plays that way. I don't know the answer and I really think it will depend on form. I'm still in Millers corner but it wasn't a good game from him today.

How did you assess Miller?

See above.

Kev I think you'll find that Garland definately played on Rivers in the first half. I missed Brown on Green. Both got plenty of the ball but Green was significantly more effective.

Hmmm. Not many positives to really take from interclub matches at the best of times, As Yabby Jeans would say it's a bit like dancing with your sister.

It does sound a bit like ground hog day though doesn't it.... McLean - quad, Moloney - Groin, Sylvia- hmmm, Byron- weight. Then Pettard does a hammy - always a worry when the guy is 18 (28 is understandable, but 18 is a worry)

Bruce on fire - he always fires early and with no injuries (touch wood) should be a monty for a swag of brownlow votes in our first four or five games. I'm hoping my predictions about Jamar come true, because I think he is a vital element if we are to go further in 07.

I wont get too upset, I really don't care if we win our first NAB cup game at all, the emphasis should definately be on being conservative with players, particularly those coming back from OP or with niggling soft tissue injuries.

A few minor things that I wanted to correct/have a different opinion on/have the same opinion on. :P

Jones was OK, but wasn't anything special by any stretch of the imagination. Significantly better last week when opposed to Brock.

Frawley wasn't on Robbo for the last part of the game where Robbo started to cut loose. He was actually on the bench resting. And I thought he competed very well with Robbo when they were opposed.

Yes, Petterd is clearly class.

Dunn did some good things, but I didn't think he was dominant as such. I, too, think he moves really well and is very clever, but I'm not sure his game deserves as much praise as he has received.

Chris Johnson was excellent. He is the one who is really benefitting from our run and carry emphasis. He makes good decisions and hits targets as well as being very clean.

Bate was outstanding in the short time he played. Bell very good in defence and Garland presented hard up forward. Looked promising.

But in the end, it was just a practice match. Unless you looked as average as Newton, it's hard to read much into it.

(Well I can't hold it in anymore)

...not bloody good enough Juice. Not bloody good enough.

Everyone was going at 70-85%, and you were motoring at 30-40%.

That's a big statement to make, but you're not one to foolishly accuse players of things like that, so it's worrying.

Such a waste for a footballer on an AFL list to not have the required drive or attitude, especially given his abundance of skills.

Maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt, as he may be carrying an injury, or maybe Bell is just that brilliant after all ;) . But I wasn't there, so from all reports I'm clutching at straws here.

- Bell was good but he was hardly facing top opposition. I am a huge Bell fan but I'm not reading too much into him demolishing Newton.

I'm certain he's been given jobs on middle-sized players, and I know once or twice he's lined up for a few minutes on some genuine talls, but I can't remember how he went or for how long he was on them. In my mind, Bell is strcitly a run-and-carry defender with a good defensive mind-set to go with it. None of this close checking of tall players. I'm stunned, first of all, that he was opposed to one, and pleasantly surprised that he wasn't exposed for height by a player who is known for his leap. I'm a long way from advocating a permanent or occasional move onto taller players for him, but it's certainly got me thinking...

Very much doubt it. White will be No1 ruckman but is being protected in practice matches. Ironic he got hurt. Jamar was ok today. PJ and Neaves didn't do much and as Scoop says we will be laid bare if White and Jamar go down.

I hope you're right. Every so often this pre-season I've heard about him training with the forwards, and I hope it doesn't happen. He has everything you'd need, height, skill, experience, build, a leap to die for, and a severely under-rated kick, particularly at goal and particularly over great distances. But it all comes together to mean nothing, or at least it has in the past. I couldn't give a stuff where he's playing in the NAB cup, put him in the back pocket if you want. Just please, don't play him as a FF in the real thing unless absolutely necessary.

Bate was outstanding in the short time he played.

Anyone care to speculate why he didn't play very much? Perhaps being saved for Sunday?

BTW, I wasn't there, so I don't know how he played, but surely this rough match he had was the exception to the rule. We all know he's played a bit of good footy, even for the Sandy seniors, and I can't imagine this intra being of a hugely greater level of difficulty. There's every reason to suggest this was a one-off. I'm still looking forward to seeing him in a few days.

BTW, I wasn't there, so I don't know how he played, but surely this rough match he had was the exception to the rule. We all know he's played a bit of good footy, even for the Sandy seniors, and I can't imagine this intra being of a hugely greater level of difficulty. There's every reason to suggest this was a one-off. I'm still looking forward to seeing him in a few days.

Sad thing Dappa Dan, there’s history here. Recent history. Juice has played maybe 6 games at 70-100% effort, but more than you can count at under 50%. He just goes about his game like he doesn’t respect the moment. He doesn’t have the luxury to just not put in the effort.

Yesterday was a simulation match. All the way through to the players singing the club song at the end. There were a few family and friends who came down to watch. Juice was the only player out of the 40+ on the day, who instead of walking down the race to the rooms, walked slowly with shoulders curved to the boundary line to speak with his grandparents. As he got over to them, he gave this, ‘oh well, that was shit’ shrug of the shoulder. It took Dunn to come over, be respectful and say a quick g’day to the grandparents, to grab Juice and take him down the race to the club room.

We saw yesterday the Juice of old, in attitude and output, and it really made me angry.

I'm certain he's been given jobs on middle-sized players, and I know once or twice he's lined up for a few minutes on some genuine talls, but I can't remember how he went or for how long he was on them. In my mind, Bell is strcitly a run-and-carry defender with a good defensive mind-set to go with it. None of this close checking of tall players. I'm stunned, first of all, that he was opposed to one, and pleasantly surprised that he wasn't exposed for height by a player who

DD, dont read too much into the positioning of Bell on Newton. Newton yesterday is no measure of a tall. Finks comments are valid. He coasted yesterday and has done so before. His performance yesterday is either the line in the sand by which he improves markedly from or he is gone and will struggle at Sandy. I dont see Bell taking bigger players in the future and Bell's efforts were solid against lightweight opposition.

I would not get too carried away with White up forward. White has shown he does not know where to run/lead up forward and his inability to play body on body and take contested marks (aside from 3rd in line chest mark hangers..getting rarer) undermines his capability up forward. I dont believe he is a goal kicking type and at times he does miss the goals he should normally get.

Key midfielders were rotated as they are to play on Sunday. Given the expected outs the seclected midfielders will have to play hard against the Hawks. But Bate is class on the move. I expect big things of him this year.

Sad thing Dappa Dan, there’s history here. Recent history. Juice has played maybe 6 games at 70-100% effort, but more than you can count at under 50%. He just goes about his game like he doesn’t respect the moment. He doesn’t have the luxury to just not put in the effort.

Yesterday was a simulation match. All the way through to the players singing the club song at the end. There were a few family and friends who came down to watch. Juice was the only player out of the 40+ on the day, who instead of walking down the race to the rooms, walked slowly with shoulders curved to the boundary line to speak with his grandparents. As he got over to them, he gave this, ‘oh well, that was [censored]’ shrug of the shoulder. It took Dunn to come over, be respectful and say a quick g’day to the grandparents, to grab Juice and take him down the race to the club room.

We saw yesterday, the Juice of old, in attitude and output, and it really made me angry.

Perhaps being a country boy away from home is causing some problems?

And there is probably more to his alleged attitude problem than we will ever know.

I glean from what you have described that it sounds like a confidence thing.

I'm prepared to give him the benefit out the doubt.

Go Dees - Juice anyone?

Thanks for the report guys, really appreciate it!

Not good news about the names that people said were injured.

Frawley continues to be getting good grades from observers cant wait to see him play.

Also just a question, i live in brisbane, so where and how will i view this sundays NAB game?

Cheers guys

something i was wondering about was the sharpness at the sticks ?

sometimes hard to tell in these sort of games but some observers may have got a feel for how good the use of opportunities was.

anything encouraging.or a bit scrappy?

anything encouraging.or a bit scrappy?

actually, the boys were pretty accurate. A couple of posters, but all in all their kicking at goal was accurate. Some weird snap attempts, but the running into and set shots in front of goals were good.

Robbo's last goal after the siren from a very tight angle and about 45m out was gold.

actually, the boys were pretty accurate. A couple of posters, but all in all their kicking at goal was accurate. Some weird snap attempts, but the running into and set shots in front of goals were good.

Robbo's last goal after the siren from a very tight angle and about 45m out was gold.

I managed to catch the second half at TD.

Plenty of representatives from other clubs there to watch and take notes.

I was pleased to see that Green looks like his heel spur operation was sucessful.

He was full of running and a shot on goal went straight through the middle.

I agree with most of the reports given by others, the experienced old heads cruised while the young bucks had a go.

On Newton he did look out of sorts, but a couple of times he lead, the ball was not kicked to his advantage, too high, too low, left or right. I think he is a confidence player and when the skills are not on show with good ball delivery then all forwards can look very ordinary.

Yesterday was a simulation match. All the way through to the players singing the club song at the end. There were a few family and friends who came down to watch. Juice was the only player out of the 40+ on the day, who instead of walking down the race to the rooms, walked slowly with shoulders curved to the boundary line to speak with his grandparents. As he got over to them, he gave this, ‘oh well, that was [censored]’ shrug of the shoulder. It took Dunn to come over, be respectful and say a quick g’day to the grandparents, to grab Juice and take him down the race to the club room.

We saw yesterday the Juice of old, in attitude and output, and it really made me angry.

On Newton he did look out of sorts, but a couple of times he lead, the ball was not kicked to his advantage, too high, too low, left or right. I think he is a confidence player and when the skills are not on show with good ball delivery then all forwards can look very ordinary.

I think he is a confidence player and when the skills are not on show with good ball delivery then all forwards can look very ordinary.

sure, but it's unacceptable to turn your back on a ball once it hits the ground, or not to chase when a contest is within a meter of you. And it's definitely unacceptable to command pin point delivery as a developing forward. Have a look at Dunn (or Garland for that matter) as a clear contrast. When a delivery isn't perfect, Dunn just forgets about it and makes position again and again. Juice's body language and approach to the game is questionable.

Unfortunately for me, I witnessed his game at Casey last year, and my expectations of him are high. I'll get over it.