Farewell Jesse Hogan

17 hours ago, McQueen said:

Annoying though that whenever Hogan is out injured or in a form slump the idiots come out with a trade argument. 

When was Hogan in a form slump this year? Leading into QB he had kicked 10 from his last two games and 31 for the season. He then kicked donuts against Collingwood and Port Adelaide, then went on to kick 3, 2 & 4 goals in his following 3 games. There’s a difference between a form slump and getting beaten by a better opponent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I would like to see some form of action. If Hogan is staying, I'd like to see us extend his contract in the off season or at least very early next year. I'm really not keen on having a 2019 of distraction, rumours and innuendo every second week. I don't believe in this day and age you have the luxury to just let the player have as much time as they need and dally on things. I know he's a great guy, has been through a lot loyal but at the end of the day it's a business, and if we don't make business decisions we will lose out. 

However, the Dockers also remain linked to injured Melbourne spearhead Jesse Hogan, 23, and are continuing to target WA players from rival clubs.

"He (Hogan) would obviously fit that age bracket and that talent strategy to do it … it's not obviously easy, I'm sure Melbourne would have something to say about it and he would be contracted to Melbourne next year anyway," Bond said.

AFL site.

• Haha 1

Whilst we're at it, given Viney's foot issues, we should trade him out too, to maximise our return. Trade TMAC as well, his value will never be higher. Then with those picks we would get, we should be able to draft 2 good KPF's and good mid........................hang on a minute............

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Whilst we're at it, given Viney's foot issues, we should trade him out too, to maximise our return. Trade TMAC as well, his value will never be higher. Then with those picks we would get, we should be able to draft 2 good KPF's and good mid........................hang on a minute............

Hyperbole ^

1 hour ago, binman said:

Maybe. But highlights the stupdidity of the idea of trading hogan. Trading hogan now would be equally stupid

Just highlights the stupidity of that post. Nothing more.

There's been for the most a reasonable discussion about the various aspects of Hogan and what might prevail or transpire. None of this has any relevance to another's ridicule.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Just highlights the stupidity of that post. Nothing more.

There's been for the most a reasonable discussion about the various aspects of Hogan and what might prevail or transpire. None of this has any relevance to another's ridicule.

Reasonable discussion can still be full of stupidity.  There's been plenty from both sides.

Just now, Wiseblood said:

Reasonable discussion can still be full of stupidity.  There's been plenty from both sides.

Reasonable invariably refers to reason.

Stupidity is of the stupid.

Some can discern.

Some just don't like the idea. To them it's unpalatable. That's just preference. 

6 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Reasonable invariably refers to reason.

Stupidity is of the stupid.

Some can discern.

Some just don't like the idea. To them it's unpalatable. That's just preference. 

Lots of big words in there, Shakespeare.  Well done.

Some think even reasonable discussion of trading a contracted player who has given no indication of wanting out as stupid.  Yes, it can be stupid.

Others, which included myself much earlier in the thread, went over the top in our defence of Jesse and our belief that this thread is stupid.

As I said, plenty from both sides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danelska said:

thought i'd get this thread up and running again... ?

I would trade Hogan if he wanted to go back to Perth. It would be worth asking the question. We are perfectly placed to cover him, and he would currently hold great trade value, so if he wanted to leave then its a no brainer. Outside of that I would be cautious of trading a player that didn't want to be traded as it might upset the group, and could be more destructive as a whole then any value we may see for one single trade (even if it was going to result in a top 5 pick).

6 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Hogan is a quality player, that cannot be questioned. There is no logical reason to get rid of quality for the chance of finding quality again.

image.png.86091ea8c8825cb54d1656bed9ff24ee.png

No logical reason ? Kidding right ?

I'm not for PUSHING him out the door.But enquiries WILL come... offers will come. Everyone needs to look at those rationally. If Jesse feels he wants to go then there is opportunity for us to trade ... and to use your boat analogy...a boat better suited to maybe a Mid role. There are better boats than Jesse for this..better established boats.

Jesse in other roles is the actual unknown.

• Like 2

Yes, we will get enquiries. No harm looking at what's available and talking to Jesse about his next contract. His current one expires in 13 months. It's a fair conversation to have, especially with the development of Weid. 

Those saying Hogan should play as a tall mid are completely missing his main strength: a big bodied, contested marking beast. Any other team would stick him at CHF or FF and say "clunk a stack and kick a handful". We have such tall riches that we're actually talking about making him into a running mid??? Madness!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Yes, we will get enquiries. No harm looking at what's available and talking to Jesse about his next contract. His current one expires in 13 months. It's a fair conversation to have, especially with the development of Weid. 

Those saying Hogan should play as a tall mid are completely missing his main strength: a big bodied, contested marking beast. Any other team would stick him at CHF or FF and say "clunk a stack and kick a handful". We have such tall riches that we're actually talking about making him into a running mid??? Madness!

Those that said Weid was hopeless might be reconsidering. Hogan will be a star and hopefully in red and blue.

Coping with Tom, Jesse and Weid will be hard for the opposition.

We need to cherrypick the players that can improve us, not push away the ones that we can build a strong team on, for years to come.

For example, we have a need for a second ruck and we are chasing Preuss to fill that gap. That will allow us to move on rucks like King and Filipovic, who may not be what we need.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

I would not trade Hogan unless he wanted out but I am not overly concerned if he chose to go compared to prior years. I believe we do play a better brand without him as focal point. I personally don't believe he has much more upside and I am not convinced on him in pressure situations. He is a good player but I don't think he will be the great we once hoped and even still we no longer need a messiah. If I was asked to order players who you would not trade ahead of him I would have Gawn, Oliver, T-Mac, Lever, Brayshaw and Viney ahead without hesitation and would have Harmes and Salem trending upward at a rate of knots. Weid's development in games 15-18 makes this even more interesting. This is not about is Hogan a good player, this is about what makes us a great team. 

Lets assume Neale gets to the Suns for their first pick. Pick 2 (Sam Walsh) and Ed Langdon would be a reasonable deal and give us the outside speed that we may be shown up to lack. Not my preferred option but if it happened now would be the year you would want him to ask.

Now to turn my focus back to what matters and is happening on the field in September. 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I would not trade Hogan unless he wanted out but I am not overly concerned if he chose to go compared to prior years. I believe we do play a better brand without him as focal point. I personally don't believe he has much more upside and I am not convinced on him in pressure situations. He is a good player but I don't think he will be the great we once hoped and even still we no longer need a messiah. If I was asked to order players who you would not trade ahead of him I would have Gawn, Oliver, T-Mac, Lever, Brayshaw and Viney ahead without hesitation and would have Harmes and Salem trending upward at a rate of knots. Weid's development in games 15-18 makes this even more interesting. This is not about is Hogan a good player, this is about what makes us a great team. 

Lets assume Neale gets to the Suns for their first pick. Pick 2 (Sam Walsh) and Ed Langdon would be a reasonable deal and give us the outside speed that we may be shown up to lack. Not my preferred option but if it happened now would be the year you would want him to ask.

Now to turn my focus back to what matters and is happening on the field in September. 

Neale is going to Brisbane not Suns

• Like 1

Trade Hogan for Neale, Langdon and pick 6 (Max King) and swap 2nd round picks to get O'Halloran. I think that is a good deal. Hogan is no longer needed and is on huge money I think we should make the move now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Trade Hogan for Neale, Langdon and pick 6 (Max King) and swap 2nd round picks to get O'Halloran. I think that is a good deal. Hogan is no longer needed and is on huge money I think we should make the move now.

1 gun, 1 up and comer and a 1st rd pick. Hogan is good but he is not Chris Judd

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Those that said Weid was hopeless might be reconsidering. Hogan will be a star and hopefully in red and blue.

Coping with Tom, Jesse and Weid will be hard for the opposition.

We need to cherrypick the players that can improve us, not push away the ones that we can build a strong team on, for years to come.

For example, we have a need for a second ruck and we are chasing Preuss to fill that gap. That will allow us to move on rucks like King and Filipovic, who may not be what we need.

Mr Leg, where did I say this?

I think it would be a great statement for Jesse to re-sign before the October trade period. After all, he loves the club, he loves living in Melbourne and we are on the rise. Gives him certainty during recovery from foot injury and the club would have clarity. I want him to stay, I've posted that repeatedly, but a strong club is more than any one player.

No sane person wants to push Jesse out. With his contract coming up in 13 months, wouldn't it be fantastic for him to recommit soon rather than watch it drag on?

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1