The Need for Outside Midfielders

Elegt

4 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Matthew Lloyd’s analysis of us in the Hun today is pretty spot on, says our midfield is loaded with talented ball hunters who all go in leaving the opposition on the outside. If we don’t dominate inside possessions we get smashed on the outside and from there the backline struggles. He points the finger at Goodwin’s strategy of emphasis on the contested ball to the detriment of outside run and delivery; says we need to get back to some basics with Hogan and TMac staying forward all game and giving Frost a few games to see if he is the answer down back until we get Lever back. 

Not often (if ever) I agree with Lloyd's summary . At last he is showing some knowledge of the game ( admittedly he has 200 pls games and 900 goals more than me, but that only proves he had the physical skills and also the fact I did not play well the day the VFL recruiters turned up at Donald U 16's)

I reckon the blame is not with Tyson because he is one of the see ball get ball  blokes. He is 4th in line so cannot have a big bearing on things. When he was high in our B&F he was No 2 behind Jonsey so our depth in that area is strong . It is the blokes like JKH, Stretch, Fritsch, Salem etc who we need to be moving the ball.

As for getting rid of Gusa, Why would you put the three yeas of dsevelopment and rehab into a player just to trade him when he is starting repay the investment. ( I still cannot get over the Scully situation which was similar. Maybe Scully could come back and repay MFC for the chance they gave him.)

2 hours ago, dimmy said:

Not often (if ever) I agree with Lloyd's summary . At last he is showing some knowledge of the game ( admittedly he has 200 pls games and 900 goals more than me, but that only proves he had the physical skills and also the fact I did not play well the day the VFL recruiters turned up at Donald U 16's)

I reckon the blame is not with Tyson because he is one of the see ball get ball  blokes. He is 4th in line so cannot have a big bearing on things. When he was high in our B&F he was No 2 behind Jonsey so our depth in that area is strong . It is the blokes like JKH, Stretch, Fritsch, Salem etc who we need to be moving the ball.

As for getting rid of Gusa, Why would you put the three yeas of dsevelopment and rehab into a player just to trade him when he is starting repay the investment. ( I still cannot get over the Scully situation which was similar. Maybe Scully could come back and repay MFC for the chance they gave him.)

Are you still around Donald? My dad lives there 

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Dee tention said:

If Hogan does go and we receive Picks 5 & 6. 

Both picks need to be used on the best outside skilled players available. Preferably Victorians...

Might tempt the giants about kelly If they are nervous about him leaving.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2018 at 6:45 PM, TGR said:

Gaff is vanilla squared.  He and Shuey are front-runners.

Surprised we didn't go for Saad last year.

We have paid 800k for Lever.  That makes TMac worth 900k in my book, which would be a bargain.  Do we have the luxury to keep purchasing, or do we try to keep our talent that will get offers in the next few years.

Lets go for outside speed in the super-draft.  Hang on, we have hand-delivered Adelaide our picks in the super-draft.

Sometimes, when you pee in the bed, you have to lay in it.

A few decisions the club has taken to slow us up in the past few years; most of which the supporter-base has clapped.

Urine.  Bed.  Rest.

Roos and Goody have shared and unhealthy obsession with inside one-paced competitors.

BTW, Round 1 usually means nothing, and the Pies will win the flag, but all our chooks came home to roost today.  No spread offensively and defensively.  Hinkley’s main message was ‘to put speed on the game’ and ‘spread em’. 17 other teams are ready too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

We brought in KK for that and I think Fritsch needs to become that player. 

We probably need one more quick runner.

I think Lewis and Jones will be replaced with these types of players next year.

That's a year too late. We are not going to win a flag without outside mids.

16 minutes ago, Elegt said:

That's a year too late. We are not going to win a flag without outside mids.

This is not the finished product yet. And the season isn't over yet so we may still win a flag, you never know.

Seriously, we've got one of the best cores of under 25 players:

Oliver, Brayshaw, Lever, Harmes, Petracca, Viney, KK, Fritsch, Salem, Weid. We will continue to add to that list of players where we need to. 

We need an electric forward and a silky outside runner and then I think we are a complete side.

• Like 1

Outside run, can’t we work something out with what we have this year? Get everyone fit and we potentially have the following who could play spreading, wide receiving roles: AVB, Hunt, KK, Stretch, Fritsch, Joel Smith, Harmes, Baker, Melchum. But our game plan doesn’t put a lot on the emphasis on running wide receivers, but more on contested ball winners which is great as long as you win and control the ball consistently. 

Joel Smith and KK finished first and second in the 2km time trial for us in the off-season. Neither of these players played yesterday. Both of those players have some knocks on their game, but pace isn't one of them.

Baker is also quick and will be an upgrade if he can put the other parts of his game together. I'm not saying we don't need pace, I'm just saying we have options waiting in the wings that would quicken up our best 22.

Jake's Jordon was also an outside mid for SA. He doesn't have pace to burn but is an outside running player.

We need to get quicker, but there are some small upgrades we can make this season which may have an impact for coming seasons.

Instead if drafting VFL or NEAFL half back flankers, its time our recruiters put some work on recruiting  quick outside midfielder or speedy elusive small forwards.

Cannot continue to stock up on inside mids or half back flanker every single year. Watching someone like Zac Butters completely out run our more senior mids was embarrassing. 

Unless its a big name star that we can potentially bring over, our first round pick needs to go to the draft this year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Instead if drafting VFL or NEAFL half back flankers, its time our recruiters put some work on recruiting  quick outside midfielder or speedy elusive small forwards.

Cannot continue to stock up on inside mids or half back flanker every single year. Watching someone like Zac Butters completely out run our more senior mids was embarrassing. 

Unless its a big name star that we can potentially bring over, our first round pick needs to go to the draft this year.

Zac butters is a gun junior though and probably the most skilled draftee. His game style suits the rule changes