New CEO - Gary Pert

46 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

a bit glass half empty tonight, ernie?

you could easy take as a positive to the internal candidates, saying you guys were so good getting to the final 5 that it took a simply outstanding candidate with previous ceo skills to beat you. we don't know all that was said in the meeting but i'm sure the three candidates were rightly praised (as they should be)

sorry ernie, don't see the negatives

i do have a weakness in over analyzing these things. 

Hope your right Daisy, but I was more concerned about the public comments, given that the appointment was played out in the public arena.  Everyone knows who the candidates were, so a bit of public praising would not have gone astray given the praising of "the absolute standout candidate."

• Like 1

I'm pretty happy with the appointment. The guy has been a gun at most things he's attempted for a large part of his life. 

Has now had some time off and is getting back into a CEO role with a wealth of experience and the time to reflect on lessons learned at Collingwad.

In spite of that or with that in mind, I don't know... I dug up some youtube videos of him in his previous role to see if there was any change in him between his successful era and less so era for interest's sake.

Successful era Pert:

Less so, Pert:

Edited by Yossarian

5 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I'm pretty happy with the appointment. The guy has been a gun at most things he's attempted for a large part of his life. 

Has now had some time off and is getting back into a CEO role with a wealth of experience and the time to reflect on lessons learned at Collingwad.

In spite of that or with that in mind, I don't know... I dug up some youtube videos of him in his previous role to see if there was any change in him between his successful era and less so era for interest's sake.

Successful era Pert:

Less so, Pert:

Imagine if we had 15 games on fee to air... 

15 hours ago, hemingway said:

I thought Bartlett could have been a little more diplomatic than referring to Pert (an outsider) as the ""absolute standout candidate" given that the internal candidates were all current and valued employees. They would have been understandably disappointed to have missed the top job.  A little more empathy would not have gone astray.

Bartlett could have publicly praised all the candidates as worthy applicants whilst at the same time stating that Pert was the the Committees preferred candidate given his background, skills and experience, and the responsibilities of the position,

Yes, the kid who comes last out of 30 deserves a participation award. 

16 hours ago, hemingway said:

I thought Bartlett could have been a little more diplomatic than referring to Pert (an outsider) as the ""absolute standout candidate" given that the internal candidates were all current and valued employees. They would have been understandably disappointed to have missed the top job.  A little more empathy would not have gone astray.

Bartlett could have publicly praised all the candidates as worthy applicants whilst at the same time stating that Pert was the the Committees preferred candidate given his background, skills and experience, and the responsibilities of the position,

I'm guessing number five was CS in a top hat and fake mustache posing as Guy Incognito, hence the lack of disclosure.

3 hours ago, ProDee said:

Yes, the kid who comes last out of 30 deserves a participation award. 

It's more how you manage an organisation or a team of people working for you. As someone who oversees film productions, I can tell you that people feel a lot more valued and work harder when they are respected.

I think this is a completely separate issue to the participation award culture in schools and in some homes, which will see a generation of kids grow up with absolutely no resilience what so ever.

Instead, I see this as being about organisational cohesion and the evidence says ensuring people feel valued and part of a team (good culture), is how you get the best out of the majority of people. It's also a key pillar to ensuring loyalty.

Loyalty is also clearly a trait PJ has worked hard to build up within the walls of the footy club.

Time will tell if Bartlett's messaging around topics such as this, will impact on the culture of the club.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, A F said:

It's more how you manage an organisation or a team of people working for you. As someone who oversees film productions, I can tell you that people feel a lot more valued and work harder when they are respected.

I think this is a completely separate issue to the participation award culture in schools and in some homes, which will see a generation of kids grow up with absolutely no resilience what so ever.

Instead, I see this as being about organisational cohesion and the evidence says ensuring people feel valued and part of a team (good culture), is how you get the best out of the majority of people. It's also a key pillar to ensuring loyalty.

Loyalty is also clearly a trait PJ has worked hard to build up within the walls of the footy club.

Time will tell if Bartlett's messaging around topics such as this, will impact on the culture of the club.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Do we know how the employees who missed out were treated internally ?

The fact that they were given the running for the job shows how they're valued.

Edited by ProDee

36 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I don't disagree with any of that.

Do we know how the employees who missed out were treated internally ?

The fact that they were given the running for the job shows how they're valued.

Quite true. We don't know how they were treated internally and maybe they were thoroughly respected, consulted, felt valued etc, but we can only comment on the external messaging and to my mind, if that was me, I could have interpreted that as a shot to my ego. 

I guess given how carefully PJ choses his words, I would hope Bartlett would do the same. And look, perhaps there wasn't a lighter way of saying it, but that does seem unlikely.

Edited by A F

2 minutes ago, A F said:

Quite true. We don't know how they were treated internally and maybe they were thoroughly respected, consulted, felt valued etc, but we can only comment on the external messaging and to my mind, if that was me, I could have interpreted that as a shot to my ego. 

I guess given how carefully PJ choses his words, I would hope Bartlett would do the same. And look, perhaps there wasn't a lighter way of saying it, but that does seem unlikely.

I suspect their "feelings" are fine given they were 3 of only 5 candidates in the running.  That says more than a president's clumsy media performance.

4 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I suspect their "feelings" are fine given they were 3 of only 5 candidates in the running.  That says more than a president's clumsy media performance.

I'd go one step further...if their feelings are hurt that much that it affects their performance, then they are probably not CEO material in the first place.

I'm not for one moment saying that any of them feel that way. Hopefully, each has seen the opportunity to be considered to have been an honour in itself.

• Like 4

"There had been suggestions over the weekend from former directors and powerbrokers that Jackson would quit his post immediately, but these were proven to be unfounded at Thursday’s morning tea."

I find this a most interesting line from the article...

These are the people that put us in our previous poor position and cause nothing but trouble.

There they go again and yet again they are wrong...ego might not be a dirty word but for some I wish they would just shut it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

Endorse these comments.

You can make tough decisions, but communicate those decisions in a manner that makes not only good business sense but shows that you have a heart. Respect or acting respectively is important in all relationships even in the tough footy industry. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjay said:

"There had been suggestions over the weekend from former directors and powerbrokers that Jackson would quit his post immediately, but these were proven to be unfounded at Thursday’s morning tea."

These are the people that put us in our previous poor position and cause nothing but trouble.

There they go again and yet again they are wrong...ego might not be a dirty word but for some I wish they would just shut it.

I don't know if it was or wasn't, but Billy boy has a mouth the size of Lunar Park.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:38 AM, Demonland said:

I would just like to point out that Demonland bears no responsibility for accidents cause by posting while driving. Do not mix Demonland with drugs or alcohol and do not operate heavy machinery whilst using Demonland. You have been warned.

I best leave then...

57 minutes ago, rjay said:

at least they got the former correct

Edited by daisycutter
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, rjay said:

Probably the reason they are former directors and powerbrokers. We don't need loose lips destabilising our solid foundation that PJ has built.

Their absence hasn't been a bad thing, let's put it that way.

• Like 3