Changes vs Bulldogs

What

On 5/27/2018 at 8:05 PM, Wiseblood said:

No change.  

I know it's a 6 day turn around, but we have a 9 day break after this game leading into the Queen's Birthday clash.  We've won by 200 points over the last fortnight, no need to make changes unless we absolutely have to.

l thought they were training runs. Now that they have extended Charlie's contract they might rest him. I hope not. 

TRAINING

Jack Viney and Mitch Hannan started the training away from the main group. Doing run throughs and 3/4 speed 50 meter  sprints. I thought they were going to keep to light duties but after about 15 minutes both joined the main group. The AFL group all had a light training and did not do game simulations .

Those in the VFL did some 8 on 8 game simulations. Sam Wiedeman and Cam Pederson taking many marks. Sam Frost giving run from the back. Oscar Baker linking well through the middle. Harley Balic offering composure and ball skills. Jay Kennedy-Harris getting to contest and putting lots of pressurs on everything. Tom Bugg showing leadership to the younger ones.

There wasn't a rehab group today. Let's hope Dean Kent hasn't gone backwards in his recovery. 

AFL group did lots of goal kicking. Mainly snaps around the coaching staff who are encouraging lateral movements.

The whole group focused on ball skills. Plenty of kicking to advantage, high marking and lead up to mark. Drills to protect the ball and shield the opposition from the contest were also included. Coaching staff working hard to make sure the players react quickly when there is a turnover and restructure to defensive or attacking game plans. Plenty of work to encourage the spread.

The players were again very positive, lots of enjoyment and a good amount of noise and support for each other.

The session finished with all staff members, players, coachs, fans and some school kids attending a ceremony celebrating the indigenous round. The field was marked with the Aboriginal and a Torres Strait flag. A speaker talked for 15 minutes about his story, family and the traits that he found positive in his life. Then the didgeridoo and sticks were played. All present very respectful and reflective. 

• Like 22
  • Love 3

35 minutes ago, M_9 said:

McKenna training?

Gee Kent, Vanders and McKenna must be on borrowed time. 

How much longer do you persevere with players who have lost so much training and match time? Particularly when you could free up space on your list, but presumably the moment of truth will arrive at season end. 

Kent has been in and out, but never seems to be able to string more than a few games without injury, and the others are almost forgotten men. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hemingway said:

How much longer do you persevere with players who have lost so much training and match time? Particularly when you could free up space on your list, but presumably the moment of truth will arrive at season end. 

Kent has been in and out, but never seems to be able to string more than a few games without injury, and the others are almost forgotten men. 

Anything up to half a dozen similar players - Harmes, ANB, Hunt, Balic, Maynard, Hannan, Baker, Bugg, Wagner, ...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hemingway said:

I think vanders, McKenna up for delisting, not Kent maybe Kent for trade, unlike the other Kent can be a match winner.

• Like 1

Despite smashing "pub"sides we do need to give the fringe players a go. Perhaps Spargo gets a rest fo Garlett.Regards the pink slip years end,JKH and Dion should go in preference to Vanders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Forward I am pretty sure, but it looks like his best chance at having a career is to become a defender

From memory Jetta first came in as a forward as well, like a lot of defenders actually, so DJ couldn't have a better teacher. I doubt he'll get a game until Jetta's not there though

22 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

25K tops.

Dogs fans won't bother and we'll get more MFC fans than usual, but we still don't 'travel' to Etihad.

As I say.... "sneaky" good. Usually I'd agree with you, never huge crowds... and in a down year (or decade) lucky to make 20. I'm picking a surprise here, and 33,000 if the weather's good.

edit: Got 33,667 last year for the same game. So it seems I'm a year late.

Edited by Dappa Dan

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

i'm expecting more dee fans than dog fans

That'll happen more often than people think, I reckon. Lots of teams lower than us on the ladder.

21 hours ago, hemingway said:

Kent should be safe. Vanders & McKenna r goneski unless they come back  very soon & play well

21 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Forward I am pretty sure, but it looks like his best chance at having a career is to become a defender

If they play him back, it might help with confidence and development.

Who knows from there,  where he could end up.    May flourish, may drop away.

Ball is in his court.