Best MFC team in last 50 years

Big Carl

15 hours ago, ProperDee said:

Gee, you could make a case for a truckload...Tilbrook, Malloy, Stretch, Steve Smith, Fowler, Giles, Zantuck, Battiston, Icke, Jarrott, Moore, O’Dwyer, Lovett, Rhode, Lovell, Bennett, Davey....

16 hours ago, praha said:

No Paul Hopgood?

Who ?  Hop Along?

You've picked a great team, Big Carl. For what it's worth my team is as follows:

B       M Whelan                     D Hughes                  S Wight

HB     B Lovett                        G Hardeman             S Woewodin

C       R Flower                        B Wilson                   S Tingay

HF    G Lyon                            D Schwarz               L Jurrah

F       J Farmer                         D Neitz                     A Jakovich

R      J White                           J Stynes                   T Viney

Int      G Wells              S Alves            A Johnson            N Jones 

E         A Yze                Ger Healy         S Febey                 B Green

• Like 2

1 minute ago, praha said:

Well, he did make our 150 Heroes back in 2008. No Jakovich. But Hopgood made the cut :P

That's fine you have an opinion. However  if you were to pick either, many more would go for Jakovich.  Hopgood was serviceable. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

That's fine you have an opinion. However  if you were to pick either, many more would go for Jakovich.  Hopgood was serviceable. 

I know :P I'm taking the [censored].

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Giddaye all,  I'm a long time viewer 1st time poster.  For what it's worth here's my team. 

B.         L.Fowler;      S. Wight;       D Hughes;

H.B      S.Stretch;    G.Hardiman;  R.Grinter;

C.        R. Flower;     G.Wells.         A. Johnson.

H.F.    W.Dean;       D. Schwartz;   G. Healy;

F.        J. Farmer;    D. Neitz;         P. Moore;;

R.       S. O'dwyer    C. Oliver;        B.Wilson;

Inter;    from  G.Lyon   J.Stynes; S.Tingay; S.Febey; M.Whelan;  A. Obst.

2 hours ago, corowa said:

You've picked a great team, Big Carl. For what it's worth my team is as follows:

B       M Whelan                     D Hughes                  S Wight

HB     B Lovett                        G Hardeman             S Woewodin

C       R Flower                        B Wilson                   S Tingay

HF    G Lyon                            D Schwarz               L Jurrah

F       J Farmer                         D Neitz                     A Jakovich

R      J White                           J Stynes                   T Viney

Int      G Wells              S Alves            A Johnson            N Jones 

E         A Yze                Ger Healy         S Febey                 B Green

I'd swap Greg Wells and Brian Wilson, better player over their careers

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Giddaye all,  I'm a long time viewer 1st time poster.  For what it's worth here's my team. 

HMMMM, 

Warren Dean , 30 odd games from 87 to 89 that's your pick your opinion fine. Interchange G Lyon. Big call. Oh Hardeman with an e.

Just helping. 

• Love 1

On 22/10/2017 at 3:07 PM, Big Carl said:

B:     A Johnson   D Hughes  G Yeats

HB:  B Lovett  G Hardeman  S Febey

C:     S Alves  G Wells  R Flower

HF:  G Lyon  D Schwarz  T Viney

F:    J Farmer   D Neitz  A Jakovich

R:  J Stynes  Gerard Healey  N Jones

Int:  J McDonald, R Grinter, R Robertson A Yze

Emerg:  B Wilson. E Spalding, A Obst, B Green

Good work 'Big Carl'...

Just off the top of my head I would have Neitz at CHB, Hardeman on a flank and Wight at FB...

Jako moves into FF, needs to be the pea...

The very best team of the past 50 years must include the following (excluding current players whose careers have still to blossom):

Alan Johnson, Steven Smith, Sean Wight;

Brett Lovett, David Neitz, Gary Hardeman;

Stan Alves, Greg Wells, Robert Flower;

Garry Lyon, David Shwarz, Adem Yze;

Gerard Healey, Allen Jakovich, Jeff Farmer;

Jim Stynes, Shane Woewodin, Brian Wilson

Int Gary Baker, Steven Tingay, Alan Obst, Glenn Lovett

Skilled, courageous, attacking match winners.

• Like 2

Steven Smith was a champion. Unfortunately had to play full back at a time when our team was poor and clubs were not restricted by the draft and the salary cap..

He deserves to be In any of the above teams where he would make a great contribution. Danny Hughes was all guts, strength and effort but not the same skill as Smith. Both deserve to be considered.

• Like 1

This thread caused me to look up the stats in relation to Peter Moore. My recollection was he was in that small category of player who Brownlow'd, but didn't win the club B&F in the same year. In 1984 he scored 24 votes to win the Brownlow, with Robbie Flower 3rd on 19 votes. Gerard Healy won our B&F that year, and garnered 2 Brownlow votes. Amazing! Shades of Geoff Raines in 1980 scoring no votes after being raging pre-vote favorite. 

A rough equivalent in 2017 would be Toby Nankervis knocking off Dusty for the Jack Dyer.

Fwiw, like most here I would not have Moore in the team .

Can't remember seeing much of Hardeman but know he was good but I think Ingerson should be considered as well at half back. Short time with us but I don't remember him being beaten by any forward, the consummate spoiler. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2017 at 3:07 PM, Big Carl said:

B:     A Johnson   D Hughes  G Yeats

HB:  B Lovett  G Hardeman  S Febey

C:     S Alves  G Wells  R Flower

HF:  G Lyon  D Schwarz  T Viney

F:    J Farmer   D Neitz  A Jakovich

R:  J Stynes  Gerard Healey  N Jones

Int:  J McDonald, R Grinter, R Robertson A Yze

Emerg:  B Wilson. E Spalding, A Obst, B Green

No Morton Toumpus Gisberts or Strauss? What a joke of a team..

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Any team with Jim Stynes and Garry Lyon on the bench is unfortunately well wide of the mark.

Peter Moore and Strawbs not fit to tie Jimmy's shoelaces.

Edited by goodoil
  • Like 1

B: Alan Johnson, Sean Wight, Paul Prymke

HB: Brett Lovett, David Neitz, Gary Hardeman

C: Stan Alves, Greg Wells, Robbie Flower

HF: Garry Lyon, David Schwarz, Adem Yze

F: Jeffrey Farmer, Allen Jakovich, Gerard Healy

FOLL: Jim Stynes, Todd, Viney, Jack Viney

I/C: Jeff White, Stephen Tingay, Glenn Lovett, Steven Febey

EM: Andrew Obst, Nathan Jones, Shane Woewodin.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ProDee said:

You know you've been pathetic for 50 years when key defenders of the calibre of Danny Hughes and Steven Smith are making teams.

I'm not saying that's wrong by the way, just an indictment.

I'll go further. It saddens me to say this, but if every team with the possible exceptions of Fremantle and the Gold Coast created their best teams of the last 50 years, ours wouldn't beat any of them. 

• Like 1

B           Fowler   Wight   A  Johnson

HB        Tingay     Hardeman     S  Febey   

C            Alves      Wells     Flower

HF          Lyon       Schwarz    T  Viney

F             Jakovich      Neitz      Farmer

Foll          Stynes      Jones     Gerard Healey

Int           Yze     Wilson   B  Lovett   J   Macdonald 

Emerg from;      J  White    Obst     Wilson    Yeates   Woewodin

Green     Ditterich    Davey   Hughes     etc  etc

Tingay was an absolute gun before injury set in,  Wight took on bigger champion fwds and beat them consistently,  Healey just gets in but was a very good onballer,  Wilson was good but was great in one year,  AJ was just a champion,  Febes gave us dash,  and the centerline was one of the best ever albeit for too few many games.

2 minutes ago, P-man said:

Was Woey that shocking a Brownlow choice that he can't even find a spot on the bench in these teams? 

Not saying it's right or wrong but it's certainly interesting.

He played mainly wing which is a position that we've has some good ones in. Alves, Flower and for me anyway, Tingay have him covered.

His Brownlow was certainly a surprise. I thought Stephen Powell had a better year for MFC. Kouta was pretty dominant that year & I thought he'd bolt in the Brownlow. That said. Woey had a fantastic year in 2000.

• Like 2