WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - STEVEN MAY

DemonLad5

3 hours ago, Captain_Jack said:

I'm hearing Hawthorn are now well and truly in the mix and the VERY early favourites to secure him.

If GC want to get near the offers that are being talked about, expect to see Ablett back in the hoops to free up some cap space.

Unrelated but the same source also said not to expect to see Brayshaw on the park this year. Long term prognosis positive, but not much to be gained by bringing him back with 3-4 weeks left in the season.

What would Hawks give to GC they have no picks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, binman said:

So what you're saying is these stats have some validity. Teflects well on omac i guess

Of course it reflects well on him!

Apparently he is in our top three most important players... 

I still think the poster that thinks the fact that Oscar plays 92% game time must rank him in the top 30% for endurance takes the cake.

I mean, they're both ridiculous stats. But I'm having a good time reading them.

4 hours ago, Captain_Jack said:

I'm hearing Hawthorn are now well and truly in the mix and the VERY early favourites to secure him.

If GC want to get near the offers that are being talked about, expect to see Ablett back in the hoops to free up some cap space.

Unrelated but the same source also said not to expect to see Brayshaw on the park this year. Long term prognosis positive, but not much to be gained by bringing him back with 3-4 weeks left in the season.

Hawks have nothing to give.  They have no early picks and none of their players with currency wanted to move last year in the Jaeger deal

The bottom line is that, if we really want him, then we can put together a trade package and a contract that will get him to the club.  It's that simple.  We don't have a tight salary cap and we have all of our first round and second rounds picks for the next few years.  If we want to make a splash, then we can.  It's just down to whether or not the club feel that May is the person to make that splash on.  Time will tell, but there is no doubt that we have our eye on plenty of targets.

I suspect the suns could match anything that we could offer so it's really about his confidence in the suns future, if he wants to leave id go very hard at him 

@binman - while I'm certainly not one to write off Oscar, as I do a future for him at the club going forward, the stats you brought up about who we can least do without is pretty useless in this regard.  There are plenty of horrible players on that list who have played in a few wins that have gotten their names on it, which doesn't give it a whole lot of credibility.

Brown kicked 5 on the weekend and some of them weren't down to Oscar like some may make out.  There were times where we kicked the ball out from defence, North marked it and then chipped it back in to Brown's advantage.  It gives our defenders no chance.  He will have his detractors, and I agree with others that we could use another tall defender, but he isn't nearly as bad as some make out.

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 7

I saw that article, and for a team with such a poor win loss record, that is now improving, the stats are meaningless.  For a team like the Hawks that won more than it lost over previous seasons, perhaps you could run a correlation over in/out vs wins, however I imagine the correlation would be weak at best.

for a team like ours, it is a completely worthless stat.  Ask it after our third premiership.

47 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

@binman - while I'm certainly not one to write off Oscar, as I do a future for him at the club going forward, the stats you brought up about who we can least do without is pretty useless in this regard.  There are plenty of horrible players on that list who have played in a few wins that have gotten their names on it, which doesn't give it a whole lot of credibility.

Brown kicked 5 on the weekend and some of them weren't down to Oscar like some may make out.  There were times where we kicked the ball out from defence, North marked it and then chipped it back in to Brown's advantage.  It gives our defenders no chance.  He will have his detractors, and I agree with others that we could use another tall defender, but he isn't nearly as bad as some make out.

Yes i know. It was an attempt at a joke. I just found it amusing he topped our list given the back and forth about him. I agree with your comments. To be honest ive never said he is a star, or even will be. But i reckon he is progressing ok and at this stage of his career is comparable to his brother at the same stage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

bb, l assume by 'gorilla' forwards you mean the solid types eg Buddy, Hawkins, Kennedy, Walker, Cloke.  These guys are around 195-197m, 95+kg and are getting older. 

The next gen are more likely to be the mobile, 200cm, lithe types eg Brown, Daniher, Scache, Moore, Lynch. 

So for mine the backline you outline will be too short.  The FF has kicked a bag on us in nearly every game this year in part because we are too short or our players don't have the leap. 

We need to structure up to compete with the 200cm forwards of the future.

I was considering any decent taller fwd for which we don't currently have a decent foil.

Not all of a fwd line will be 2m, just not that many decent ones around but there are a handful of big fwds of various styles that we cant presently counter. Lever/May types would be a major improvement.

• Like 1

Just now, HBDee said:

It seems the solution to this thread is to try and get Ben Brown to the club. Solves our forward line issue and removes a problem for our defenders........

A lateral thinker ;)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HBDee said:

It seems the solution to this thread is to try and get Ben Brown to the club. Solves our forward line issue and removes a problem for our defenders........

No chance that North let him go and, if they did, it would cost an arm and a leg to get there.

32 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Once Hogan Comes back, we will be fine up forward 

he's going to play chf and ff?.... suppose hoges + pedo will be a big improvement, but being 'fine', i dunno still lacking a kpf and kpb (with appropriate backup depth)

• Like 2

Dd,  I'd certainly agree all won't/can't be fixed in one off season. I want to try to get the best available into each of our holes. 

If fit , our list has ,if not perfect a usuable fwd line, a midfield that's getting better ( but yes can use augmenting ) but its that key FB position that needs fixing. Priority 1

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Even if Oscar or Wiedemann really come on in two years, that leaves two years of stressful weight being placed on the other players imo. It doesn't lend well to contract extensions in the future for players who could feel burnt out. And if they don't come on, then we've got to insure ourselves against it. Two reasons to recruit May/Def and Wright/Fwd

Edited by DominatrixTyson