The Petracca v McCartin debate reprised

Whispering_Jack

9 hours ago, Skuit said:

Petracca is a rare, rare talent. Once he gets on a roll he will be as unstoppable as any of our game's recent greats, with, dare I say it, a presence akin to Buddy or Betts. That snap on the weekend was sublime - the 40m bunt to Watts from range, or lining up for an orthodox set-shot, not so much. Coach the basics, but he needs to be given license to trust his instincts and back himself in.

Wow Buddy and Betts that is rare company.

Awesome talent. The best part is that he is suited to a role that is really hard to fill being a forward / mid. Toby Greene doesn't dominate possessions but has become super important to GWS. Love his attitude and way he embrace the whole aspect of being an AFL footballer

3 hours ago, ProDee said:

Trust your eyes.

While not express, he's powerful and far from slow.

He might not be physically quick, but he's mentally very quick. One of those players who finds time and space, and also has superb awareness around the contest. Much like Watts, their basketball background gives them great spacial awareness which makes them able to almost "slow down" the play around them.

On an unrelated note, I think people are judging Brayshaw harshly. He was superb in his 1st year and had a rotten run with injuries last season. He is a very talented player and a wonderful ball winner. I think he'll become a mainstay in our best 22 in the very near future. Not every player can do an Oliver. It's completely normal for a young mid to take 3-4 years to really hit their straps, especially when injury has curtailed their development. Just look at Salem, finally injury free and nicely hitting his straps. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jaded said:

He might not be physically quick, but he's mentally very quick. One of those players who finds time and space, and also has superb awareness around the contest. Much like Watts, their basketball background gives them great spacial awareness which makes them able to almost "slow down" the play around them.

On an unrelated note, I think people are judging Brayshaw harshly. He was superb in his 1st year and had a rotten run with injuries last season. He is a very talented player and a wonderful ball winner. I think he'll become a mainstay in our best 22 in the very near future. Not every player can do an Oliver. It's completely normal for a young mid to take 3-4 years to really hit their straps, especially when injury has curtailed their development. Just look at Salem, finally injury free and nicely hitting his straps. 

He has another 18 weeks Jaded.

2 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Awesome talent. The best part is that he is suited to a role that is really hard to fill being a forward / mid. Toby Greene doesn't dominate possessions but has become super important to GWS. Love his attitude and way he embrace the whole aspect of being an AFL footballer

Hope you're not still talking about Greene.

• Like 2

I reckon Dustin Martin is a reasonable comparison.  They're different players, but at the same time have similar traits.

Martin would now be considered in the top 5 players in the game along with Dangerfield, Fyfe, Franklin and Bontempelli.

Martin was highly rated very quickly in his AFL journey, but it was his 4th season before he really broke out and elevated his game to a higher plane.  He's continued on and taken his game to new levels, particularly this year (season 8).  

In his third year he averaged 22.4 disposals (Petracca is averaging 21.7 this year), marks 3.2 (Petracca 7), tackles 3 (1), kicked 23 goals at an average of 1.2 (1.3), and had 85 ranking points (Petracca 90). 

I think by year's end Petracca's second year will be very similar to Martin's third and by then people were criticising Melbourne for not even interviewing Martin let alone drafting him.

It's reasonable to compare Petracca's second year to Martin's third as Petracca is still a few months older than Martin was the corresponding year, although Martin hadn't had interrupted preseasons.

Petracca is tracking fine.

• Like 4

Interesting comparison ...to Dusty.

Ill go out on a limb and suggest in 2-3 seasons Truck will surpass any level Martin achieves.

Interesting both have a bit of a lad, bit of a swagger about self though.

Saints f@#!d up 

4 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Interesting comparison ...to Dusty.

Ill go out on a limb and suggest in 2-3 seasons Truck will surpass any level Martin achieves.

Interesting both have a bit of a lad, bit of a swagger about self though.

Saints f@#!d up 

How is he with chopsticks bb?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ProDee said:

I reckon Dustin Martin is a reasonable comparison.  They're different players, but at the same time have similar traits.

Martin would now be considered in the top 5 players in the game along with Dangerfield, Fyfe, Franklin and Bontempelli.

Martin was highly rated very quickly in his AFL journey, but it was his 4th season before he really broke out and elevated his game to a higher plane.  He's continued on and taken his game to new levels, particularly this year (season 8).  

In his third year he averaged 22.4 disposals (Petracca is averaging 21.7 this year), marks 3.2 (Petracca 7), tackles 3 (1), kicked 23 goals at an average of 1.2 (1.3), and had 85 ranking points (Petracca 90). 

I think by year's end Petracca's second year will be very similar to Martin's third and by then people were criticising Melbourne for not even interviewing Martin let alone drafting him.

It's reasonable to compare Petracca's second year to Martin's third as Petracca is still a few months older than Martin was the corresponding year, although Martin hadn't had interrupted preseasons.

Petracca is tracking fine.

I've said it before, but Ricciuto is the one he really reminds me of over the past 20 years. 

• Like 5

Petracca is unlike any player I have seen. Whether that amounts to becoming a star is another thing. I am surprised with his consistency and resilience as of late though. I didn't expect to see a reliable player so early. At risk of jinxing the kid, he does look to be a great leader. Very impressed by his temperament.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Members' Wing said:

I've said it before, but Ricciuto is the one he really reminds me of over the past 20 years. 

Quite a bit.  Think Riccuito displayed better decisions... Hopefully Truck will become better in that regard. R was very clever.

• Like 1

Something Roo could do and don't mind if Truck adopts , is sieze an unlikely moment , often against the tide of play, and create a play that invariably ended in a score. Did two things....score....and reset momentum. Bloody handy player Roo :)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Something Roo could do and don't mind if Truck adopts , is sieze an unlikely moment , often against the tide of play, and create a play that invariably ended in a score. Did two things....score....and reset momentum. Bloody handy player Roo :)

Yep people forget how good he was. A Brownlow and the most all-Australian jumpers of anyone in history.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tony Tea said:

Jezza is not Italian. 

Ian Stewart would be in my top 5 Italians players.

Ukranian, and if I remember correctly, was voted the best Ukrainian sports person (not sure of exact title, perhaps 'ukrainian decent living outside of ukraine) ahead of Wayne Gretzky.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2017 at 9:59 AM, Biffen said:

Petraaca could be the second greatest player of Italian heritage ever.

1.RDB

2.Petracca

3 .Jezza 

4.Silvagni.

While you've been corrected on Jezza's ethnicity I'm surprised no-one has questioned you putting Petracca above him. If Petracca should turn out to be better than Jesaulenko we are going to see the best Melbourne player since Barassi.  And yet posters are saying Oliver will be even better than Petracca. Frankly, I doubt Petracca will be as good as Jezza, but there's no shame in that. Jezza would probably be the fifth best player I've ever seen after Matthews, Carey and both Abletts. Flower probably comes next.

• Like 1

McCartin dropped this week due to poor form, I'd be a little concerned if I was a Saints supporter. Poor form, medical condition and concussion issues, doesn't paint a positive picture. 

Bit like a reverse Wines/Toumpas.