Vale Billy Barrot

iv'a worn smith

I haven't seen it mentioned on here anywhere, but I thought it is worth noting the passing of Richmond premiership player of the late 60's Billy Barrot.  A member of the famous premiership centre line of Bourke, Barrot, Clay.

While I always was and always will be a devout Dee, as a kid I could not help but be in awe of Barrot as he streamed down the 'G in his number 24 jumper.  No one could deliver a drop kick with such distance on the run.   Many a kid would try to emulate him, me included.  I actually got to be fairly proficient at the old drop kick.

Billy was unceremoniously traded to St.Kilda, for Ian Stewart who would go on to win his 3rd Brownlow.

Once again, a man who has left us far too soon 

Edited by iv'a worn smith
spelling
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Spirit of 26 said:

Used to follow Oakleigh in the old VFA and remember him drop kicking goals from the centre circle (time may have exaggerated this a bit, but no doubting his prodigious drop kicking ability).

I also enjoyed watching BB at Oakleigh, with Big Bob Johnson at FF. Those Oakleigh sides were great. Vale Billy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ManDee said:

I also enjoyed watching BB at Oakleigh, with Big Bob Johnson at FF. Those Oakleigh sides were great. Vale Billy.

Of course, I forgot his Oakleigh days.  Big Bob never moving out of the goal square.  Was Russell Colcott part of that era or was the before his time?

18 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Of course, I forgot his Oakleigh days.  Big Bob never moving out of the goal square.  Was Russell Colcott part of that era or was the before his time?

From Bigfooty-Stax on the mill.  - 1972 premiership team contained heaps of ex AFL players, Big Bob, Billy Barrott, Russell Colcott, Ray Carr, John and Peter Lilley, Kevin Billings etc.

And who could  forget the mullet of Tommy Quinn

• Like 3

Billy was a dead set Champion...Mad as a cut snake as well

My Grandad was born & raised in Richmond & he could recite almost every moment of the '67

Tried in vain to make me a Richmond Supporter and failed

But i knew all about The Tom Hafey sides.

• Like 2

An amazing Richmond era. And vale Bily. 

How the hell do you drop kick on the run.? Surely it goes 'anywhere' half the time 

An amazing skill clearly.... A lost skill 

As a kid, in my black plastic Barassi boots, I do remember the power and distance  you could get out of a well timed drop kick .... but mostly they went all over the place and made you look like a goose

But on the run.... respect!

11 hours ago, Bigred said:

An amazing Richmond era. And vale Bily. 

How the hell do you drop kick on the run.? Surely it goes 'anywhere' half the time 

An amazing skill clearly.... A lost skill 

As a kid, in my black plastic Barassi boots, I do remember the power and distance  you could get out of a well timed drop kick .... but mostly they went all over the place and made you look like a goose

But on the run.... respect!

He was a wonderful football player, and I remember him launching those drop kicks from about the centre of the punt road oval right to the goal square.

And on the drop kick ( which I could never master): has any player used it in recent years? Or have coaches banned its use because it can be so inaccurate?

19 hours ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Don't quote me, but I seem to remember Big Bob's stats from one match as 11 marks, 11 kicks, 11 goals. Did this happen or is just a faulty recall from too long ago?

We had 3 weapons back in the 60's The Drop Kick, The Torp and the flat punt.

You could master anything back then you just had to practice Day in.  Day out.

The Drop Punt didn't come into vogue until a Chap by the name of Peter McKenna mastered it.

That was the end of the Drop Kick, and now its master BB.

3 hours ago, Spirit of 26 said:

Don't quote me, but I seem to remember Big Bob's stats from one match as 11 marks, 11 kicks, 11 goals. Did this happen or is just a faulty recall from too long ago?

Would be surprised if the "marks" total didn't include a bunch of free kicks - one of the greatest actors not to receive an Oscar was our Big Bob.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.