Our list in 2017

So with 9 games to go, 2 games + large % out of the 8, it's highly unlikely we will make the 8. Looking through our fixture, we may win another 4-5 games. We now need to start thinking of next season, who will remain on our list, and what the roles of our players who will remain on our list will be. I'll get the ball rolling. . 

To remain on our list, given these players are either (a) clearly in our best side, (b) clearly part of our future, or (c) have signed long-term deals -

Jesse Hogan, Nathan Jones, Christian Salem, Jack Watts, Christian Petracca, Jack Viney, Angus Brayshaw, Max Gawn, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch, Sam Frost, Jake Melksham, Bernie Vince, Tom McDonald, Sam Weideman, Liam Hulett, Oscar McDonald, Jayden Hunt, Alex Neal-Bullen, Tomas Bugg, Ben Kennedy, Jeff Gartlett, Neville Jetta, James Harmes, Josh Wagner

The future of the following players is not so clear -

Chris Dawes

The next 9 games are crucial for him. A lot will depend on whether we persevere with him for the rest of this season, or whether we revert to Pedersen. Either way, I think we will offer him a 1-2 year deal at season's end. Whether he stays will depend on whether another club triumphs our offer. We won't pay overs, or change the terms of our offer, if another club does. He's got some market value because he's big and a target. He's not crucial for us though.

Heritier Lumumba

Another year remaining on his contract, so will remain on our list. Will be interesting to see whether he regains his place in the side later this season. He could very well be a 'Lynden Dunn' next season - i.e. not be played to groom younger talent. I still think he's important with his dash off the back flank, but with the rise of blokes like Wagner and Hunt, he may be excess to requirements in our best lineup.

Jack Trengove

I think we are all proud of this man for his inspiring story and dedication in getting back after so much heartache. However, his speed is non-existent, he gets little penetration with his kicking, and frankly, I think the game has gone past him. There is no room for sentiment anymore. I think he should be delisted. However, I have a feeling we may offer him a 1-year extension and give him another pre-season to give it a proper crack. 

Lynden Dunn

I stand to be corrected, but I think he's still contracted for next season. I personally think he should still be playing. However, he's clearly not part of the future, otherwise Roos would be playing him right now. For instance today, he would have been a perfect matchup for Franklin and has always done well on him in the past. Our backline is our number 1 weakness, the fact he's not there says a lot. Next season will be like this one for him, he'll just plod along at Casey. I'm not sure we will pay him out, and I don't think anyone else will be too keen on him. Never know though!

Dean Kent

Our of contract, and has massive potential. However, he is often un-discipline and lacks defensive pressure. Despite that, I have no doubt we will look to resign him. It just depends whether he wants to test the market and get a better deal. I think he'll stay, given he's been backed in by our coaching department and continues to get games when he should probably have been dropped a couple of times. He'll want to repay the faith.

Ben Newton

It will be interesting to see whether he gets another opportunity. He had a couple of games, one he was reasonable, the other not so, and then dropped immediately. We appear to have a number of players similar to him, which might be his downfall. I'm tipping he will be delisted.

Colin Garland

Similar to Lynden Dunn in many ways. He is not part of the future, and it appears the club has taken this line as well. I query why he was re-signed for two years at the end of last season. It means, like Dunn, he could be playing a lot at Casey next season. We will be targeting key backs in the off-season, and this could mean he's essentially a backup. Unfortunately, he doesn't back himself enough with the ball and is too slow with his ball movement. A bit of a momentum killer. Always looks to that chip kick backwards rather than going forward - very frustrating.

Cam Pedersen

Re-signed for another season. Earlier in the season it appeared he was close to cementing his spot in the side, especially after the GC game. However, whether he is essentially a backup going forward depends on approach taken to Dawes and the development of Weideman. Obviously the aim would be to have Weideman in our starting side by late 2017. There is still a role for him prior to that. He would know that.

Jay Kennedy-Harris

Injuries have come at a bad time. Looked like we had something here in 2014, especially with his game in Adelaide. Barely got on the park in 2015 and 2016. Unfortunately he has no real assets - i.e. short with no speed. He will be delisted. Perhaps a spot on the rookie list.

Jack Grimes

I truely feel sorry for him. His first season was 2008, and his development was no doubt hampered by the fact that our club was a joke and barely professional off-field during his formative years. If he had've gone to a Geelong or Hawthorn, i'm sure he would be double the player he is now. However, similar to Garland, he's very reactive, lacks speed, and turns the ball over far too often. The lack of confidence in him this season when he's dominated at VFL level indicate his cards are marked. He could consider himself very unlucky when Trengove is getting games ahead of him. He will be delisted.

Jake Spencer

Obviously resigned as backup only. Lacks the polish and coordination at AFL level. We desperately need to develop a 2nd ruckman, likely Mitchell King. While he will be on our senior list next season, it's unlikely he will play much at AFL level going forward.

Mitchell King

High expectations on him after suffering an unfortunate knee injury. Yet to see whether he can rise to expectations, but he will be given plenty of time to do so.

Aaron Vandenberg

Re-signed from memory, so will remain on the senior list. Hard to get a gage on his this season. We had high expectations on him following 2015, but he's been in and our of the side a bit in 2016 due to injury. Hopefully he can continue to add a presence to the side.

Matt Jones

Out of contract. He would've been delisted last season if he wasn't still contracted. He obviously had a ripper pre-season and improved out of sight. Unfortunate to get injured after playing so well earlier on, and dominated at Casey since his return. I think he will be offered a 1-year extension, and deservedly so. His maturely can offer a lot to a young side.

Dean Terlich

Probably no need to say too much here. His cards were marked after Roos walked through the door. Had some good games at Casey, but he will be the first player delisted.

Viv Mitchie

Only a rookie. There is some possibility we may look to upgrade him if he can force his way back into the senior side before the end of the season and play well. Similar to Newton, I think we have enough of these types of players. I doubt we will look to upgrade him.

• Like 1

Not convinced Dawes has currency, but he may get 1 year with a games trigger for a 2nd year.

Trenners may get one more, Kent should re-sign as you say but I'm not too fussed about the others. Grimes should seek a trade, Dunn and Garland seem destined to play out their contracts with Casey. Much more interested in who we might get in though

Well done Northern Summer.

Are you going to inform the players whose services are terminated personally or through the press?

Also ,are we delisting JT purely on Dermies observation that he moved like the queen mary(perhaps he was trying to keep his feet).

I also doubt whether Pedo and Dawes will go in one year.

Think our old backline is pretty shot though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Summer said:

So with 9 games to go, 2 games + large % out of the 8, it's highly unlikely we will make the 8. Looking through our fixture, we may win another 4-5 games. We now need to start thinking of next season, who will remain on our list, and what the roles of our players who will remain on our list will be. I'll get the ball rolling. . 

To remain on our list, given these players are either (a) clearly in our best side, (b) clearly part of our future, or (c) have signed long-term deals -

Jesse Hogan, Nathan Jones, Christian Salem, Jack Watts, Christian Petracca, Jack Viney, Angus Brayshaw, Max Gawn, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch, Sam Frost, Jake Melksham, Bernie Vince, Tom McDonald, Sam Weideman, Liam Hulett, Oscar McDonald, Jayden Hunt, Alex Neal-Bullen, Tomas Bugg, Ben Kennedy, Jeff Gartlett, Neville Jetta, James Harmes, Josh Wagner

Chris Dawes

The next 9 games are crucial for him. A lot will depend on whether we persevere with him for the rest of this season, or whether we revert to Pedersen. Either way, I think we will offer him a 1-2 year deal at season's end. Whether he stays will depend on whether another club triumphs our offer. We won't pay overs, or change the terms of our offer, if another club does. He's got some market value because he's big and a target. He's not crucial for us though.

Heritier Lumumba

Another year remaining on his contract, so will remain on our list. Will be interesting to see whether he regains his place in the side later this season. He could very well be a 'Lynden Dunn' next season - i.e. not be played to groom younger talent. I still think he's important with his dash off the back flank, but with the rise of blokes like Wagner and Hunt, he may be excess to requirements in our best lineup.

Jack Trengove

I think we are all proud of this man for his inspiring story and dedication in getting back after so much heartache. However, his speed is non-existent, he gets little penetration with his kicking, and frankly, I think the game has gone past him. There is no room for sentiment anymore. I think he should be delisted. However, I have a feeling we may offer him a 1-year extension and give him another pre-season to give it a proper crack. 

Lynden Dunn

I stand to be corrected, but I think he's still contracted for next season. I personally think he should still be playing. However, he's clearly not part of the future, otherwise Roos would be playing him right now. For instance today, he would have been a perfect matchup for Franklin and has always done well on him in the past. Our backline is our number 1 weakness, the fact he's not there says a lot. Next season will be like this one for him, he'll just plod along at Casey. I'm not sure we will pay him out, and I don't think anyone else will be too keen on him. Never know though!

Dean Kent

Our of contract, and has massive potential. However, he is often un-discipline and lacks defensive pressure. Despite that, I have no doubt we will look to resign him. It just depends whether he wants to test the market and get a better deal. I think he'll stay, given he's been backed in by our coaching department and continues to get games when he should probably have been dropped a couple of times. He'll want to repay the faith.

Ben Newton

It will be interesting to see whether he gets another opportunity. He had a couple of games, one he was reasonable, the other not so, and then dropped immediately. We appear to have a number of players similar to him, which might be his downfall. I'm tipping he will be delisted.

Colin Garland

Similar to Lynden Dunn in many ways. He is not part of the future, and it appears the club has taken this line as well. I query why he was re-signed for two years at the end of last season. It means, like Dunn, he could be playing a lot at Casey next season. We will be targeting key backs in the off-season, and this could mean he's essentially a backup. Unfortunately, he doesn't back himself enough with the ball and is too slow with his ball movement. A bit of a momentum killer. Always looks to that chip kick backwards rather than going forward - very frustrating.

Cam Pedersen

Re-signed for another season. Earlier in the season it appeared he was close to cementing his spot in the side, especially after the GC game. However, whether he is essentially a backup going forward depends on approach taken to Dawes and the development of Weideman. Obviously the aim would be to have Weideman in our starting side by late 2017. There is still a role for him prior to that. He would know that.

Jay Kennedy-Harris

Injuries have come at a bad time. Looked like we had something here in 2014, especially with his game in Adelaide. Barely got on the park in 2015 and 2016. Unfortunately he has no real assets - i.e. short with no speed. He will be delisted. Perhaps a spot on the rookie list.

Jack Grimes

I truely feel sorry for him. His first season was 2008, and his development was no doubt hampered by the fact that our club was a joke and barely professional off-field during his formative years. If he had've gone to a Geelong or Hawthorn, i'm sure he would be double the player he is now. However, similar to Garland, he's very reactive, lacks speed, and turns the ball over far too often. The lack of confidence in him this season when he's dominated at VFL level indicate his cards are marked. He could consider himself very unlucky when Trengove is getting games ahead of him. He will be delisted.

Jake Spencer

Obviously resigned as backup only. Lacks the polish and coordination at AFL level. We desperately need to develop a 2nd ruckman, likely Mitchell King. While he will be on our senior list next season, it's unlikely he will play much at AFL level going forward.

Mitchell King

High expectations on him after suffering an unfortunate knee injury. Yet to see whether he can rise to expectations, but he will be given plenty of time to do so.

Aaron Vandenberg

Re-signed from memory, so will remain on the senior list. Hard to get a gage on his this season. We had high expectations on him following 2015, but he's been in and our of the side a bit in 2016 due to injury. Hopefully he can continue to add a presence to the side.

Matt Jones

Out of contract. He would've been delisted last season if he wasn't still contracted. He obviously had a ripper pre-season and improved out of sight. Unfortunate to get injured after playing so well earlier on, and dominated at Casey since his return. I think he will be offered a 1-year extension, and deservedly so. His maturely can offer a lot to a young side.

Dean Terlich

Probably no need to say too much here. His cards were marked after Roos walked through the door. Had some good games at Casey, but he will be the first player delisted.

Viv Mitchie

Only a rookie. There is some possibility we may look to upgrade him if he can force his way back into the senior side before the end of the season and play well. Similar to Newton, I think we have enough of these types of players. I doubt we will look to upgrade him.

JKH is contracted for next season and Garland didn't sign for 2 years, he signed for 3, that is not a misprint, 3 years

I'm pretty sure we'll see minimal list changes.  We've sold our first round pick.  To me that is saying that we'll use our second round pick in the draft and then upgrade rookies.  We're required to make three list changes including upgrades, so we could very well see one live pick plus upgrading King and White from the rookie list (both are in their final year as rookies).  That would leave us with two second year rookies in Michie and Wagner, plus Smith as a Cat. B rookie.  Given the success Wagner has had so far, they could either cut White loose or clear out another senior list spot to upgrade him, but I tend to think they'll leave him as a rookie for another year.  I suspect that we'll see White come in to the side during the second half of the season once we are allowed to play him.  His form at Casey has been far too good to ignore. 

• Like 1

I did a bit of analysis on the list the other night looking at who has value that we could trade out - my current opinion of the lists as it stands:

Must keep: 2016-Tyson, Mcdonald, Jetta 2017- Hogan, Vince, Weideman, 2018-Petracca, Brayshaw, Gawn, Bugg, 2019-N.Jones, Oliver, Garlett 2020- Viney

Trade for the right offer: 2016-Watts, Kent, Frost, O.Mcdonald 2017-Salem, Stretch, Kennedy, Hulett, Vandenberg 2018-Hunt, ANB, Harmes 2019-Melksham

Tradeable/ Delisted/ 1-2 year deals: 2016-Dawes, Trengove, Newton, Pedersen, Grimes, M.Jones, Terlich 2017-Dunn, JKH, Spencer, Mitch King, Lumumba* 2018-Garland

Obviously this list as subjective and the lines between categories are somewhat muddied. Rules require that we use 3 draft picks in the ND, meaning at least 3 spaces have to be cleared. I don't think there'll be a large turnover. Dunn, Pedersen, Lumumba, M.Jones and Vince are the only players who will be 30 or older next year.

Terlich has had his papers stamped and unfortunately it looks that way for Grimes too (=[ hope he's picked up as a delisted FA by someone else), Dawes, Trengove and Pedersen to get 1 year contracts(possibly 2 for Dawes) unless we get offers for them, Newton and M.Jones left to sweat on the number of people we bring in and the depth of the draft.

4 hours ago, Northern Summer said:

Chris Dawes

Heritier Lumumba

Jack Trengove

Lynden Dunn

Dean Kent

Ben Newton

Colin Garland

Cam Pedersen

Jay Kennedy-Harris

Jack Grimes

Jake Spencer

Mitchell King

Aaron Vandenberg

Matt Jones

Dean Terlich

Viv Mitchie

to be a contender we gotta delist all of the above besides kent

1 hour ago, Beats said:

I did a bit of analysis on the list the other night looking at who has value that we could trade out - my current opinion of the lists as it stands:

Must keep: 2016-Tyson, Mcdonald, Jetta 2017- Hogan, Vince, Weideman, 2018-Petracca, Brayshaw, Gawn, Bugg, 2019-N.Jones, Oliver, Garlett 2020- Viney

Trade for the right offer: 2016-Watts, Kent, Frost, O.Mcdonald 2017-Salem, Stretch, Kennedy, Hulett, Vandenberg 2018-Hunt, ANB, Harmes 2019-Melksham

Tradeable/ Delisted/ 1-2 year deals: 2016-Dawes, Trengove, Newton, Pedersen, Grimes, M.Jones, Terlich 2017-Dunn, JKH, Spencer, Mitch King, Lumumba* 2018-Garland

Obviously this list as subjective and the lines between categories are somewhat muddied. Rules require that we use 3 draft picks in the ND, meaning at least 3 spaces have to be cleared. I don't think there'll be a large turnover. Dunn, Pedersen, Lumumba, M.Jones and Vince are the only players who will be 30 or older next year.

Terlich has had his papers stamped and unfortunately it looks that way for Grimes too (=[ hope he's picked up as a delisted FA by someone else), Dawes, Trengove and Pedersen to get 1 year contracts(possibly 2 for Dawes) unless we get offers for them, Newton and M.Jones left to sweat on the number of people we bring in and the depth of the draft.

Tyson is contracted till end of 2017.

• 3 weeks later...

in the quicksand: Terlich, Max King (r)

on shaky ground: Dawes, Grimes, Matt Jones, Newton, Pedersen, Michie (r)

Medical question mark: Lamumba

Dunn and Garland stay on under contract. JKH (contracted to end 2017) also needs to show his ability or he is gone. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Dunn and Garland stay on under contract. JKH (contracted to end 2017) also needs to show his ability or he is gone. 

I think we give contracts 2 depth players for 2 long a period eg Terlich getting 3 years and really only getting games in the first year of that contract also Garland getting 3 years and struggling in his first year. I think list mangement need 2 b smarter & not offer longer contracts 2 depth players thought 1 yr for Pedersen was better than 2 I'd only offer a player like M Jones a yr  not 2 or 3 because he's just as likely to go backwards and b a list clogger.

13 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Losing Garland will hurt the most.  He has been a real team player and tried hard to adjust to the new regime.  He seemed to be doing well with Roos but I wonder whether this year Goodwin is having a greater say in selections - I doubt he would have known he would be at Casey when he signed his 3 year contract last year.  He could have gone last year to a club of his choice, as an FA but stuck with us.  He would have been in demand!

It saddens me greatly, that he now falls into the 'trade bait' category or is destined to see his contract out in the reserves/depth as others go past him.  And who can forget his response to Frawley winning his first premiership; something like '...I would love to win one but if not with Melbourne, it won't mean anything'.   That really tugged at the heartstrings.

I understand there is no room for emotion anymore and the game and the club has changed but it feels like abandoning a life long friend who has stood by me through thick and thin.  I would rather help him go somewhere else than watch him wallow at Casey so if there is no future for Garland at Melbourne, I hope he requests a trade and we readily let him go. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1