• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sam Blease Concussion

watchtheeyes

Didn't realise it was such an issue for him.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/former-afl-player-sam-blease-speaks-about-concussion-will-donate-his-brain-for-research-20160215-gmu73n.html

Retired footballer Sam Blease has spoken about his struggles with mental and physical illness after suffering two severe concussions while playing.

Blease, who is just 24, told SEN radio that he had memory problems and had suffered migraines while training.

"I copped two pretty heavy concussions last year in isolation and after the first one I missed four weeks in the pre-season," he said on Monday morning. "Then three or four months later I just got a stray elbow in the VFL, came back and played but the symptoms from there were pretty severe. I had a bit of depression for probably a month and a half."

Blease said he also has headaches after running, and has been keeping in touch with a neurologist, as well as a friend who is a brain surgeon.

But despite the problems he has faced, Blease said he would not advise against playing football.

"I love footy, I've grown up with it, it's given me opportunities in life," he said. "I would never say to anyone do not play football because you can get a concussion."

The former Geelong and Melbourne player says he will donate his brain for medical research after he was approached by former WWE wrestler Chris Nowinski, who co-founded and is executive director of the Concussion Legacy Foundation.

"I was taken aback a bit," Blease said of his initial response to the request. "I've got a few years left, hopefully."

Blease is seeking compensation from the AFL over his head injuries, but he wouldn't go into detail over the issue.

"That's in a process at the moment and the lawyers are working through that – I'm not in a position to comment on that," he said.

Edited by watchtheeyes

7 minutes ago, watchtheeyes said:

Didn't realise it was such an issue for him.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/former-afl-player-sam-blease-speaks-about-concussion-will-donate-his-brain-for-research-20160215-gmu73n.html

Retired footballer Sam Blease has spoken about his struggles with mental and physical illness after suffering two severe concussions while playing.

Blease, who is just 24, told SEN radio that he had memory problems and had suffered migraines while training.

"I copped two pretty heavy concussions last year in isolation and after the first one I missed four weeks in the pre-season," he said on Monday morning. "Then three or four months later I just got a stray elbow in the VFL, came back and played but the symptoms from there were pretty severe. I had a bit of depression for probably a month and a half."

Blease said he also has headaches after running, and has been keeping in touch with a neurologist, as well as a friend who is a brain surgeon.

But despite the problems he has faced, Blease said he would not advise against playing football.

"I love footy, I've grown up with it, it's given me opportunities in life," he said. "I would never say to anyone do not play football because you can get a concussion."

The former Geelong and Melbourne player says he will donate his brain for medical research after he was approached by former WWE wrestler Chris Nowinski, who co-founded and is executive director of the Concussion Legacy Foundation.

"I was taken aback a bit," Blease said of his initial response to the request. "I've got a few years left, hopefully."

Blease is seeking compensation from the AFL over his head injuries, but he wouldn't go into detail over the issue.

"That's in a process at the moment and the lawyers are working through that – I'm not in a position to comment on that," he said.

Players hit harder now. Yes they always did i know, but you sit behind the interchange bench and actually listen to collisions. It's quite scary! 

The brain is still being studied..

• Like 1

I know this is a big issue but surely the players know that they can get hurt when they sign up to play.

Is it just me or is everyone now exempt from taking any responsibility for their actions.

In this case playing AFL football.

• Like 3

In The States the science is now well- and- truly in  as to long term affects of repeated concussions .  Players such as Sellwood , Rance and our very own Jack Viney who repeatedly dive head-first into packs should be made aware of the risks .

In The States the science is now well- and- truly in  as to long term affects of repeated concussions .  Players such as Sellwood , Rance and our very own Jack Viney who repeatedly dive head-first into packs should be made aware of the risks .

42 minutes ago, dee-eee said:

Absolutely. It seems to be pointing in the direction that repeated concussions can lead to severe depression. In one summer a few years ago, three professional NHL players committed suicide, and all three had suffered from multiple severe concussions throughout their careers. It's a hard thing to avoid when playing contact sports, but greater precaution needs to be taken to reduce concussion rates. I'm not too sure what to do, but pro sports leagues need to figure out something.

It's always a bit of a conundrum with players and concussion. The game would not be the same without the physical contact that leads to head injuries. I am sure most players are aware of the risks as will the parents of juniors. Considering the amount of money the AFL generates there  should be a fund set aside to help players in the future who may suffer long term side effects. Though the dangers are very real for all players, diagnosis can be difficult with some forms of acquired brain injury leaving the door ajar for opportunists to take advantage. 

Edited by america de cali

4 hours ago, dee-eee said:

If I recall the AFL approached the NFL a couple of years ago asking to partner in their research into Acquired Brain Injuries and were knocked back. 

Also, looking back to the case of Viney's hit/not hit on Lynch from Adelaide.  Part of his defence was that he had suffered concussions as a junior and the club were trying to teach him not to lead with his head so much which is why he could be seen turning and bracing rather than running headlong into the man. 

It should be noted that the "head over the ball" thing that is regarded by most these days as the proper way to attack a loose ball has only existed for a little over a decade.  It is the direct product of one of the more impressively bad rule changes from AFL House whereby they declared any and all contact to the head to be illegal, prompting players to lead with their heads in search of cheap free kicks where before they were taught to turn side-on and take the impact on their hip or shoulder.  Not only has it lead to more concussions, it has also spawned other rule-changes in an attempt to control the players wildly flinging themselves into the fray head-first, injuring themselves and others. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elusive Tunbridge said:

It's a work-related injury, od.  Think about that.

Playing football professionally is a job like any other - albeit very well paid. There are insurances in place. The insurance premium would reflect the risks involved with football. Blease is claiming compensation and the lawyers look to verify the claim - as every claim made ( as you would suspect a claim of this sort that has ongoing ramifications would be for a significant amount) would have impact on premiums going forward.

IMO It has zero to do with taking responsibility - it is an "injured in the workplace" discussion. 

The only thing that has me a little puzzled is that it appears insurances are held by the AFL  rather than at club level - I would have thought that it would have been a club insurance as each club has different risk profile - for example - the interstate clubs that travel every other week would have a higher risk than the Melbourne based clubs. Also clubs with state of the art facilities would have lower risk profile than when we trained in the old sheds at Junction Oval.  Although the lines would become blurred as the AFL is responsible for safe grounds  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-06-23/afl-players-could-sue-over-docklands-surface/877720)

FYI - when you play any organised sport down to the lowest levels for a club, part of your annual fee goes to insurance against injury be it short or long term. 

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

If I recall the AFL approached the NFL a couple of years ago asking to partner in their research into Acquired Brain Injuries and were knocked back. 

Also, looking back to the case of Viney's hit/not hit on Lynch from Adelaide.  Part of his defence was that he had suffered concussions as a junior and the club were trying to teach him not to lead with his head so much which is why he could be seen turning and bracing rather than running headlong into the man. 

It should be noted that the "head over the ball" thing that is regarded by most these days as the proper way to attack a loose ball has only existed for a little over a decade.  It is the direct product of one of the more impressively bad rule changes from AFL House whereby they declared any and all contact to the head to be illegal, prompting players to lead with their heads in search of cheap free kicks where before they were taught to turn side-on and take the impact on their hip or shoulder.  Not only has it lead to more concussions, it has also spawned other rule-changes in an attempt to control the players wildly flinging themselves into the fray head-first, injuring themselves and others. 

And in a roundabout way, the issue of concussion (and other collision injuries) is driving the rules changes regarding interchange rotations and the ill-fated substitute rule. The theory is that multiple rotations allow players to play more in high-speed, short bursts leading, so the argument goes, to collisions of greater force. While it sounds logical to me, I don't really know if there is evidence to back that argument up. But if there is, I think the rule makers should be looking at drastic rather than minor changes to the limit on rotations. If it meant protecting players better,  I'd be happy to bring rotations down to, say, 4.

• Like 1