Essendon's List

If Golden boy Suited up (joke i know ). But could we get Wheels as ours ( top up) :)

2 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Geez not sure cats fans will enjoy seeing stevie j in a giants jumper next year and kelly in a bombers one. Crowley and Kelly are more skilled than some of those 34 players that have been suspended. But I wonder how fit they have been keeping themselves over the pre season. 

Kelly is obviously looking forward to it. 

#donthesash @EssendonFC

Check everything!!!

5 hours ago, nutbean said:

Kelly looked like he needed to retire by the end of last year - he was a yard too slow to keep up with game and a couple of seconds too  slow in reacting. ( this is not meant to detract on how good he was for many years)

I don't recall him being overly quick in the first place however I don't doubt his pace would have dropped off similar to Cross.

He didn't have a bad year however, as he still got the pill more than most of our boys.  Having a quick look at his season, if you take away his Rd 11 & Rd 20 games where he got injured and his Rd 15 game where he was the sub he still averaged over 23 touches a game which is better than everyone on our list other than Jones & Bernie.

I honestly didn't watch a great deal of the Cats this year to see how much his pace & skills dropped off but if he was playing as an inside mid to counter that I think he will be a very handy recruit for them.

7 hours ago, dees189227 said:

So the punishment is players are rubbed out for 12 mths but suddenly then can draft good players like Crowley and Kelly. Yes I know they were older but they are still good players. Kelly will be very handy for them and I know we delisted Jamar but I will be shattered to see him run around in a bombers jumper. 

I don't think you can complain about Essendon being able to "draft good players". Anyone they're taking was necessarily passed over by the other 17 clubs already, or they'd be on an AFL list.

I think Essendon or the AFL need to provide compensation to clubs from whom they steal players (e.g. Crowley's club). But otherwise, this is the right thing to do I think. Keeps Essendon from being wholly listless and gives some players a second chance at their career.

It makes me sick that they get rewarded with pick #1 for finishing last after having an entire team full of elite players banned for drug cheating. Next year they can just re-inject these players with no further sanction and take home pick 1 for their troubles. 

If a team around the periphery of the top 8 deliberately dropped their 12 best players for an entire year purely to top-up with pick 1 before challenging for finals, they'd have their draft picks stripped and would be charged with bringing the game into disrepute!

But, nah, gotta protect Essendon so they get "back to being a powerhouse" as Gil keeps reminding us. He wants his Christmas bonus this year.

• Like 2

Port and the Doggies lose out more than other teams as well as they have lost best 22 genuine roll players in a Crameri (FF) and a ruckman in Ryder.  Absolutely impossible to replace unlike a flanker / mid which are usually a dime-a-dozen.

Imagine if that was us with say Maxy out for the year and then Spencil (or Lobbe in there case) gets injured.  We would be absolutely cooked in the centre.

The AFL has to allow all teams with a suspended player to go outside the rookie list and sign another player on.  Its the only way to make this fair

• Like 1

10 hours ago, binman said:

I have zero problem them taking Crowley and if i was an EFC fan would be annoyed if they didn't. I'm surprised a club didn't rookie him. He did the crime (which was was pretty minor compared to the supplements regime and IIRC the drug he used was not designed to improve his performance, more manage pain) and has done the time.

They have lost 9 senior player and 5 of their best 6. It is critical they get hardened AFL players playing for them or else they'll be cannon fodder. How many of them are floating around, who critically have done somewhere near an AFL standard pre season (Crowley apparently kept very fit during his suspension and has been training with a WAFL side). 

And why shouldn't they be cannon fodder?   The EFC should be made to suffer, badly, not be in effect compensated by the AFL   Yet another glaring example of the lack, more like total absence of integrity at AFL HQ 

6 hours ago, old dee said:

The EFC and AFL are endearing themselves to no one.

WAFL Club Swan Districts have demanded compensation for the loss of Crowley.

He was their playing assistant coach and they are now left seriously short.

We all know that contracts, especially coaching contracts, mean absolutely nothing in footy   

6 hours ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

That's a matter for Crowley and Swan Districts to negotiate, didn't they have a contract?

The AFL has to allow Essendon to sign top up players and create rules around that. You can't have a team enter in to a season with 34 players on the list and the majority of them being under developed kids.

If players break existing contracts with state or local clubs then they can seek compensation from those players or Essendon but it's not the AFL's fault. 

But it is.  That's the point.  They have bent over backwards, and bent other effected teams over forward, to help bail out a club that was caught out deliberately cheating the system.   What sort of message does that send?

2 hours ago, ENYAW said:

What would Dee supporters think if the EFC win more matches than the MFC,free red and blue hankerchiefs!! Slashing wrists. Allow them to have top up players but let them play for zero premiership points.

Now that does seem an almost fair compromise.   Is that what happened in the NRL over some cheating incident?   I guess, were it not one of the "elite clubs" then that may have occurred   

49 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

What date are the Essendon players suspended to, if suspended around draft time would they be eligible to be traded?

No doubt the good folk at AFL HQ will make up some favorable ruling on the run when the time approaches.   How do Gil and Fitzpatrick look at themselves in the mirror?  How do they sleep at night?   I guess Pol Pot and Stalin managed somehow, so why not them?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, monoccular said:

But it is.  That's the point.  They have bent over backwards, and bent other effected teams over forward, to help bail out a club that was caught out deliberately cheating the system.   What sort of message does that send?

Do you even remember in 2013 when Essendon were banned from playing finals, fined and had draft picks removed?

It is completely impossible to play an AFL season with 34 players. It's an OH+S issue and could do serious damage to innocent young players.

If you want Essendon banned from this season then that's fine by me. I understand that point, even if I don't agree with it. If you agree that they should be able to field some kind of team this year then you have to let them sign top up players to assemble a proper squad. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

Do you even remember in 2013 when Essendon were banned from playing finals, fined and had draft picks removed?

It is completely impossible to play an AFL season with 34 players. It's an OH+S issue and could do serious damage to innocent young players.

If you want Essendon banned from this season then that's fine by me. I understand that point, even if I don't agree with it. If you agree that they should be able to field some kind of team this year then you have to let them sign top up players to assemble a proper squad. 

Give those cheaters nothing!

If they can not field a team then let them forfeit the game.

Better still, kick out of the AFL.

10 hours ago, monoccular said:

And why shouldn't they be cannon fodder?   The EFC should be made to suffer, badly, not be in effect compensated by the AFL   Yet another glaring example of the lack, more like total absence of integrity at AFL HQ 

We all know that contracts, especially coaching contracts, mean absolutely nothing in footy   

Now that does seem an almost fair compromise.   Is that what happened in the NRL over some cheating incident?   I guess, were it not one of the "elite clubs" then that may have occurred   

No doubt the good folk at AFL HQ will make up some favorable ruling on the run when the time approaches.   How do Gil and Fitzpatrick look at themselves in the mirror?  How do they sleep at night?   I guess Pol Pot and Stalin managed somehow, so why not them?

The King  has no clothers!

• Like 2

Agree with GRRM re: OH&S. I don't give a fig about Essendon or if they lose by 150 points every week, but you just can't field a list 12 short. It's not any fault of, say, Darcy Parish that this occurred, but it's his like who would bear the extra workload in an environment that is already punishing on young bodies. 

I also can't see how the logic doesn't extend to the MFC, Port, St Kilda and Bulldogs, even if it is to a much lesser degree. I doubt conventional logic will come in to it when the AFL is involved, though.

• Like 2

"Fairybread said:

Essendon FC ‏@EssendonFC · 14m14 minutes ago
Crowley: "In time I'd like to sit down and have a chat to the 12 players. I could give them a real insight as to what they may go through."

This may well be the most important part he can play. Talking to our 12 guys, using himself as evidence that you do come back. Maybe he can point out how November will be here before they know it etc."

Took the above from Bomberblitz.

So Crowley's a role model and mentor now!! FM double dead! Bizarro world lives!

Anyway, as I understand it, he is not allowed to talk to "our 12 guys".

• Like 3

of course he can talk to the 12 guys at a house, a cafe, what have you.

he can't train with them and they can't come to the club.

the thing that really irks me is crowley and kelly, for example, would both be best 22 for us.

for other clubs with suspended players not able to draft a top-up player is a disgrace.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, old dee said:

The EFC and AFL are endearing themselves to no one.

WAFL Club Swan Districts have demanded compensation for the loss of Crowley.

He was their playing assistant coach and they are now left seriously short.

The WAFC does enough damage to the WAFL competition  as it is let alone the AFL getting their pound of flesh.

Mind you it is Swans the team I hated the most as a young Cardinals supporter.

Edited by DemonFrog

57 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

the thing that really irks me is crowley and kelly, for example, would both be best 22 for us.

for other clubs with suspended players not able to draft a top-up player is a disgrace.

If Crowley is currently best 22 for us then we are still [censored]!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DemonFrog said:

The WAFC does enough damage to the WAFL competition  as it is let alone the AFL getting their pound of flesh.

Mind you it is Swans the team I hated theost as a young Cardinals supporter.

Black and White that is not a good start DF

What should have happened ?

AFL to Efc... Got a "able' list ?

Efc..... No

AFL.cya next year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

I can't understand the logic in not allowing us a top-up, but I'm not really bothered by it.  2016 model James Kelly does zero for me and if we'd picked up Ryan Crowley I would have spontaneously vomited.  The pickings out there are very slim and Essendon are going to be crud because of it.  It means Mitch White will play instead of Melksham; I can live with that.

• Like 6