Radio and football racists

Soidee

What are you booing him for? It only started after he stood up for the Indigenous people of the country, no one boo'd him before hand so the only conclusion is that you are booing because he stands up for Indigenous rights. Wouldn't that be a little racist?

I don't actually boo him . I couldn't care less to be honest. Im just calling [censored] on the reasons behind it. Long never got booed for the stance he made. You either do it with class or you don't and a paying audience, especially after a few frothy will give feedback.

What are you booing him for? It only started after he stood up for the Indigenous people of the country, no one boo'd him before hand so the only conclusion is that you are booing because he stands up for Indigenous rights. Wouldn't that be a little racist?

Lets see if Lewis Jetta gets booed now for 'his stance on racism'

oh please, this thread needs closing as it is going to spiral into even more BS about "he's rude, he's a diver, he whinges, he didn't deserve AOY". God help us if this is where the mentality is still at in this country.....plain and simple, if you stand at the ground like a pathetic sheep and boo this guy, you are either a redneck simpleton or a racist. To claim that a crowd full of opposition supporters would waste their time standing up and booing for any other reason is absolute shizen and you all know it.

So if an indigenous bloke in the crowd was booing a white player, is that racist?

• Like 3

are you?

Not at all. As you say, it is part of free speech, many people think it means they can say what they like, when they like, and there will be no consequences.

Lets see if Lewis Jetta gets booed now for 'his stance on racism'

Why did no one boo him before? If it isn't about that then why did it start then?

people can never actually answer this question, they just say so and so doesn't get boo'd so it isn't racist, or it is because he dives, or it is because he picked on a young girl. none of this answers why it only started when he made a stance for Indigenous rights.

Maybe, just maybe, it is because he doesn't stay quiet and tow the line the white fellas want him too.

• Like 2

I don't boo him but I don't like him as a person. If I were to boo him it would be because I consider him an incredibly weak footballer. A brownlow medallist, a premiership player and by all reports a good bloke but putting your face out in the media on a regular basis means you open yourself up to being heavily liked or disliked. I respect Goodes for making a stand, but I don't believe because he stands up for a good cause, I'm required to like him as a person and be immune to me choosing to boo him if I see fit.
I have forever boo'ed ex Melbourne players because it's an expression of my disappointment in them leaving us. I did it to Jeff Farmer and so did 40,000 others and thankfully I was never called a racist.

• Like 2

Why did no one boo him before? If it isn't about that then why did it start then?

people can never actually answer this question, they just say so and so doesn't get boo'd so it isn't racist, or it is because he dives, or it is because he picked on a young girl. none of this answers why it only started when he made a stance for Indigenous rights.

Maybe, just maybe, it is because he doesn't stay quiet and tow the line the white fellas want him too.

This idea that the booing only starting since the war dance is a false narrative. it started early 2013 and intensified late last year after the dive against Richmond.

• Like 3

There is no doubt racism associated with the booing of Adam Goodes, but it is also because he is a Rooster Smoker of the highest order. With that said, multiple players are boo'd for varying reasons and i remember reading one article drawing attention to the fact that Heritier was boo'd against collingwood and how it was further evidence of racism in sport.

The fact that this issue is continually having attention drawn to it, Essendon players, namely Jobe Watson, were boo'd last year most of the year and it was worse over in WA, i remember him even leaving the ground crying. Booing of Mitch Clark happened earlier in the year and umpires every game. People are getting on their high horse about one player also suggests a tone of casual racism in the fact that he should be exempt due to race.

• Like 4

I couldn't be bothered booing Goodes. But to claim that everyone who is doing so has a racist motivation is facile and weak. If that's all you've got to offer then keep your ideas to yourself. Base your comment on something tangible. Judge a person after you meet and interact with them. There's a good starting point

• Like 2

How loud was the booing for Eddie betts on the weekend or Stephen Hill? Just wondering

The correct question is "how loud was the booing (week after week) for players other than Goodes who are known stagers, sooks etc etc." Those who attribute the booing of Goodes to his on-field behaviour need to answer that question for a start.

So they dodge that and move on to saying he did not deserve a PC Oz of the Year and is too aggressive politically etc. Has anyone else got booed for being an undeserving Oz of the Year and pushing the issue for which they got the award?

Most of us take no notice of Oz of the Year - we'd would be hard pressed to name his predecessors (oh go ahead and google it and put me down). But suddenly it excites people to boo every time he goes near the ball.

Both racists and not-so-racist sheep are hiding behind these weak excuses. The racists can't stand he was made Oz of the Year and his politics, the sheep are just sheep.

• Like 2

This idea that the booing only starting since the war dance is a false narrative. it started early 2013 and intensified late last year after the dive against Richmond.

I didn't say since the war dance, I said since he made a stand for the Indigenous people. Many comments he made in 2013, including against the young girl. Lines up nicely with your timeline. Why not before then, he has been diving for as long as I can remember.

• Like 1

There is no doubt racism associated with the booing of Adam Goodes, but it is also because he is a Rooster Smoker of the highest order. With that said, multiple players are boo'd for varying reasons and i remember reading one article drawing attention to the fact that Heritier was boo'd against collingwood and how it was further evidence of racism in sport.

The fact that this issue is continually having attention drawn to it, Essendon players, namely Jobe Watson, were boo'd last year most of the year and it was worse over in WA, i remember him even leaving the ground crying. Booing of Mitch Clark happened earlier in the year and umpires every game. People are getting on their high horse about one player also suggests a tone of casual racism in the fact that he should be exempt due to race.

I have no issue with booing an Indigenous person, depending on why you are doing so. To boo them because the stand up for the rights of there people is not on, to boo because they dive, are a dirty player, leave your club etc etc is fine.

Most people cant say why he is boo'd and as yet no one can say why it only started when he stood up for his people. There in lies the problem.

Its really grown legs because when it first happened the media jumped on it . otherwise it would've been like every other time players get booed. it would've gone on a few weeks, more at some grounds than others, but as soon as is it became a big deal on tv an twitter well it grew legs. a lot if it would just be [censored] up blokes getting in on the fun because they've heard all about it all week.

• Like 1

Its really grown legs because when it first happened the media jumped on it . otherwise it would've been like every other time players get booed. it would've gone on a few weeks, more at some grounds than others, but as soon as is it became a big deal on tv an twitter well it grew legs. a lot if it would just be [censored] up blokes getting in on the fun because they've heard all about it all week.

If Andrew Pridham thought his statement would help, he was off his head. It's only ignited it even further.

"If you're booing Adam Goodes I've got bad news for you," Pridham told Fairfax Media. "You're a racist".

PS: For all my comments and views here, I woudn't boo Adam myself. I'm not a big fan, but I reserve boos for the lowest of the low, like Ballantyne and formerly Campbell Brown.

Edited by Django

I have no issue with booing an Indigenous person, depending on why you are doing so. To boo them because the stand up for the rights of there people is not on, to boo because they dive, are a dirty player, leave your club etc etc is fine.

Most people cant say why he is boo'd and as yet no one can say why it only started when he stood up for his people. There in lies the problem.

But if people suggest they boo him because they percieve the way he acts to make him a tool, then it should all be fine. I agree that there is definite racism associated with the booing, there is also a pack mentatlity, partial rebellion, partial intended annoyance and as well because he is a genuine [censored]. Sam Mitchell recieved the booing treatment and still does most weeks due to his percieved dirty playing, it happens consistently, I remember i used to Boo Ben Johnson whenever he got the football after his incident with Daniel Bell.

I dislike the fact that people are suggesting the only reason for the booing is racism because multiple people in AFL get boo'd.

I don't care what color he is. I don't even care that he pointed the girl out in the crowd. for sure he didn't realize how young she was at first and perhaps would have his time again. but, pointing a 10 year old out is not Australian of the year worthy and this PC crap must stop.

People see the A of the Year nomination as the PC rubbish it was and his behavior on field with the dives and the continuous sooking only makes him a target. Some people will revel in it.

For me, Eddie Betts, Aaron Davey and Wonemairri do far more for the Aboriginal community than Goodes - by not being the [censored] that Goodes is

So you'd prefer Goodes to be a nice quiet little aboriginal boy then? Doing and saying as he is told and not speaking out against issues that have plagued his people since the first fleet?

• Like 1

But if people suggest they boo him because they percieve the way he acts to make him a tool, then it should all be fine. I agree that there is definite racism associated with the booing, there is also a pack mentatlity, partial rebellion, partial intended annoyance and as well because he is a genuine [censored]. Sam Mitchell recieved the booing treatment and still does most weeks due to his percieved dirty playing, it happens consistently, I remember i used to Boo Ben Johnson whenever he got the football after his incident with Daniel Bell.

I dislike the fact that people are suggesting the only reason for the booing is racism because multiple people in AFL get boo'd.

That comes down the question I have asked that no one has yet answered, why did it only start when he started standing up for his people?

Most people that would be booing him wouldn't have actually thought about it, and wouldn't realise why the booing started, but it had nothing to do with his on field play, that is the convenient excuse that keeps it going. I actually think he should be boo'd due to his diving, but that isn't what is going on, if only it was.

Adam Goodes says things that are uncomfortable for people to hear.

I don't think that the majority of people booing believe that they are racists, because they feel like the issue of indigenous rights has already been solved. The problem is that they are wrong.

So, rather than confront the uncomfortable issues Goodes raises, many would rather confront Adam Goodes.

Those that claim the booing is about his football (not about his stance on indigenous rights) are either willfully ignorant, or racists (even if they don't realise it).

• Like 6

So you'd prefer Goodes to be a nice quiet little aboriginal boy then? Doing and saying as he is told and not speaking out against issues that have plagued his people since the first fleet?

No speaking out is good. But if you put yourself out there and then act like he does on the field then he will make himself a target. Its the way it works.

His behavior on field only serves to de legitimize his message off the field.

How can you make a stand off field with grievances when on field your grievances are so obviously a crock of [censored]. The issues need attention but they would be better served by a better bloke.

That comes down the question I have asked that no one has yet answered, why did it only start when he started standing up for his people?

Most people that would be booing him wouldn't have actually thought about it, and wouldn't realise why the booing started, but it had nothing to do with his on field play, that is the convenient excuse that keeps it going. I actually think he should be boo'd due to his diving, but that isn't what is going on, if only it was.

I think someone elluded to it earlier and I agree that the booing definitely happened before this year, but it has only got legs due to the media attention. I am sure even last year he was boo'd at the melbourne game and if it wasn't that one it was the year before. Not by everyone but by some of the crowd?

So you'd prefer Goodes to be a nice quiet little aboriginal boy then and staying in their own community and not disturbing your peaceful existence.? Doing and saying as he is told and not speaking out against issues that have plagued his people since the first fleet?

That a little unfair on the three listed, you have insinuated that they don't do anything for their community, which is wrong

(why I added the bold bit), the difference is they are working directly within their community and not outside, Goodes is raising the voice to all Australians, as it clearly still needs to be.

I think someone elluded to it earlier and I agree that the booing definitely happened before this year, but it has only got legs due to the media attention. I am sure even last year he was boo'd at the melbourne game and if it wasn't that one it was the year before. Not by everyone but by some of the crowd?

It started around 2013, around the time he really started to get a voice, around the same time he made a stand against the young girl. Why was it not happening in 2005?