Creative solutions required

In no certain order. Not creative but simply what we must do and that (i'm sure) every other team does, or at least most of them.

1. give a damn.

2. relish your opportunities to play football professionally.

3. be hungry for every contest.

4. go first, don't wait for others.

5. know your deficiencies and work on them, in your own time if need be.

6. think/care for/about your supporters

7. aim to win not just to be competitive.

8. care for your team mates, and play for one another.

9. be embarrassed, and learn from it. Shame has a place as an emotion.

10. build your own team's legacy/history/reputation (positive)

11. listen to your coaches, trainers, leaders, parents, team mates etc.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 5

1. Never handball to a stationery player STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!!

2. run run run and run

3. move the ball quickly forward (with intensity)

add more ... aim for a top 10 list of demands

These aren't creative - they are basic, simple parts of the game that every AFL team does

Well every team besides Melbourne

Creative solution: Everyone watch Jetta, Stretch and McDonald and what they do after passing. They are the ONLY 3 players who shepherd after disposing of the ball. We talk about wanting space, well there's a pretty effing simple way to start.

From a more broad point of view....

The way I see it currently we have 3 major problems:

- Clearances/midfield: We're dominating the hitouts but being smashed in the clearances. Would mainly be due to the mids having not had enough time playing with Gawny so hopefully it gradually gets better. The secondary part of that is a few of our mids have gotten into selfish habits (which Roos has talked about) and started going away from the game plan and just bombing away.

- Forward line structure: The players crowd, they don't lead at the right times, and a few of them don't work hard enough defensively. McDonald should not have played there yesterday and Roo turned the game due to having Garland on him.

- Disconnect between coach and leadership group: From what Roos and the players are saying, the players just aren't doing what the coach asks. For mine, it's the leadership groups job to make sure that happens once the ball bounces. Watching Jones walk off with his head down after another miserable loss was really disappointing.

• Like 2

2. run run run and run

I think we were actually trying to do the last two on the weekend and that resulted in the handballs - constantly trying to play on leaving all our players in a " state of Lumumba"

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

2. run run run and run

For me it is for all our players to lead into space in front or sideways of our ball carrier. So often we get a turn over in our back half and our player is looking for options to go forward and he sees nothing so has to put the long one in up the line to a contest. To me if everyone leads into space, if I am the ball carrier, I am confident I can kick forward 15 to 25 metres to a target and run on and perhaps get the overlap happening. And a quick pass to a leading forward.

2. run run run and run

Don't stand flat-footed next to the ball carrier. And especially don't call for it if you're flat-footed and under imminent pressure. Consider shepherding instead.

Don't stand flat-footed next to the ball carrier. And especially don't call for it if you're flat-footed and under imminent pressure. Consider shepherding instead.

As matter of interest, who is more at fault: The player in a poor position calling for the ball to be kicked or handpassed to him? Or the player who sends the ball that way when it's a poor option?

My creative solution is to educate players to call for the ball only when they are in a position to do so. (Sub-clause: They have to be prepared to work hard to get into that position).

With the pace of the AFL and hierarchies in age and experience etc where a young player might feel obliged to off-load to a senior (especially including the amount of youngsters we have) I'd say genuinely calling for it when out of position deserves greater blame and makes choosing the right option harder to assess. It would be great if we could cultivate the instinct to attack but it can only come when the carrier knows they will likely be protected and can forge a path out of the scrum.

Bernie got cussed out for a htb on the w/e for not offloading to Jetta (who was cms away). I'd have to watch it again but I recall thinking when seeing it live that Jetta sort of got in his way and it slowed Bernie's reaction time.

We have been handballing to stationary players or players already under pressure for as long as I can remember. How do we stop this?

I'm sure players are told to spread their arms and create an option. We need players who WANT the ball and will create the right option and space to make it happen rather than just doing it to look busy.

Kick it to a teammate. I would even settle with 'aiming' to kick it to a teammate, even if the ball doesn't reach it's intended target.

At present, we are just bombing the ball in, no direction, under 10's footy mentality.

Take a little extra time, I don't care if you get caught holding the ball a few times - trying to pick out a player. Stick at it.

I think it's a mix of not being confident and not knowing the guys you are playing with as well as we need to. This is inevitable with such high turnover of players and should be less of a factor the more they play together. The confidence should come as the players settle into and understand the game plan better.

It might not be so apparent to us at the moment, what they are trying to do, but I think that when it all comes together it will be much more effective and much more attractive to the supporters. Geelong was a glimpse of this.

The fact is that Roos has been working hard on building a good defence - he stated that when he first came on board. We're slowly improving in terms of offence (which isn't helped by having key personnel missing, in Pedersen and Kent, or not having them at all).

I have faith that we will get there, but the patience required is so infuriating. We should get paid to be members at this rate.

Demonland: We never take the first option. Demonland: Why do we always handball to players right next to us? Demonland: We never lower our eyes from half-forward. Demonland: That was a fantastic goal from 50.

In no certain order. Not creative but simply what we must do and that (i'm sure) every other team does, or at least most of them.

1. give a damn.

2. relish your opportunities to play football professionally.

3. be hungry for every contest.

4. go first, don't wait for others.

5. know your deficiencies and work on them, in your own time if need be.

6. think/care for/about your supporters

7. aim to win not just to be competitive.

8. care for your team mates, and play for one another.

9. be embarrassed, and learn from it. Shame has a place as an emotion.

10. build your own team's legacy/history/reputation (positive)

11. listen to your coaches, trainers, leaders, parents, team mates, Demonland etc.

Fixed the last one Song. You missed some very important people.

• Like 1

1. Forfeit part of your pay if you miss a set shot from less than 25 m out on a less than 45 degree angle.

2. Forfeit part of your pay if you lay in someone's back while tackling them without having at least attempted to roll them to the side

3. Forfeit part of your pay if you allow an opponent to get his arms free when initially pinning both arms in a tackle.

4. Forfeit part of your pay for coughing up possession when under no pressure from an opponent.

We have been handballing to stationary players or players already under pressure for as long as I can remember. How do we stop this?

Wider options running in the vision of the target-6-10 metres .

Running in the V of the player attacking the pill.

Bumping shepherding ,pushing others out of the way.

We tend to clump around the ball and handpass it in a diminishing circle.

Wide handball-longer kicks to space.

More effective tackling, then pushing the player down again as you get up.

Elbow in ribs,stomp on foot,bringing your man to ground as he marks and holding him down.

Blocking,chopping,diving ,faking high contact.

throwing on the blind side,chopping arms,sandwiching.

Blocking the man on the mark so your kicker can run around him.

Everything they do to us that is within the ever changing rules.

So much of it is running. We just don't run hard enough. Forwards don't run hard enough to lead, they don't push back hard enough on turnovers. Midfielders don't work hard enough to get from one end of the ground to the other. Defenders don't run hard enough when we're bringing the ball out of the backline.

There are a few other key issues (leaders don't lead, freezing under pressure), but running has been a problem for years, and remains a problem.