Has Bernie Vince become our best player?

I think he's our best player this year. Apologies to Jonesy.

Paul Roos on 360 tonight held back from saying Bernie should be All Australian this year, but spoke glowingly of him and his last 15 weeks of form.

He also said that when we got Bernie, no one, including Paul, really had any idea that Bernie could play the run with/negating role, let alone play it this well.

He said Bernie has the incredible skill of knowing which dangerous areas to deny the opposition, so even if they get 20 possessions, they're not as damaging as usual. And on the flip side hits the attacking dangerous areas when he gets the ball. Which sums up his year and style perfectly.

I love the effect he seems to have had on the group too, everyone brightens up when they talk about him, Jones and Watts in particular seem to love him as much as we do.

• Like 9

looks like he's about to get one in

Edited by Wilbur

would love to have a beer with Bernie.

A5OEtu4CcAARvRq.jpg

faultydet, on 04 Aug 2015 - 01:51 AM, said:

There's a Bernie in that picture?

The sheila looking over his shoulder seems in good nick too! Shame her shirt seems a size too small. How will she button it up?

Edited by CBDees, Today, 06:27 AM.

• Like 1

Its not just the disposals and three goals but pendles had no impact on the game, the crows must not have thought he had this in him.

Listening to Roos on 360 last night, even he (Roos) didn't realise he had "this" in him.

What I'm loving is that Jones is having a very good year, yet it's doubtful he'll finish in the Top 3 of the B&F. Vince, Viney and Hogan will probably poll more than NJ, TMc would've go a cr@p load of votes early on, and Cross and Brayshaw will be getting regular votes too.

We're on our way. Thank Christ! (Aka Paul Roos)

• Like 1

Listening to Roos on 360 last night, even he (Roos) didn't realise he had "this" in him.

What I'm loving is that Jones is having a very good year, yet it's doubtful he'll finish in the Top 3 of the B&F. Vince, Viney and Hogan will probably poll more than NJ, TMc would've go a cr@p load of votes early on, and Cross and Brayshaw will be getting regular votes too.

We're on our way. Thank Christ! (Aka Paul Roos)

the Bluey count will be a ripper this year

A bit more exciting than the Neeld years when we got flogged every week and Terlich, Matt Jones and Sylvia were finishing top 5

• Like 2

His finishing off both feet is just outstanding. Really good player for us on so many levels, what a great pick up for the club.

Looking forward to next year a lot more now, we will develop to another level and be more consistent and this bloke will be one of the reasons for that.

I think he's our best player this year. Apologies to Jonesy.

Paul Roos on 360 tonight held back from saying Bernie should be All Australian this year, but spoke glowingly of him and his last 15 weeks of form.

He also said that when we got Bernie, no one, including Paul, really had any idea that Bernie could play the run with/negating role, let alone play it this well.

He said Bernie has the incredible skill of knowing which dangerous areas to deny the opposition, so even if they get 20 possessions, they're not as damaging as usual. And on the flip side hits the attacking dangerous areas when he gets the ball. Which sums up his year and style perfectly.

I love the effect he seems to have had on the group too, everyone brightens up when they talk about him, Jones and Watts in particular seem to love him as much as we do.

This is what I love about him too.

I've never really seen anyone negate so well whilst impacting the game so much as well. Normally a 'tagger' needs to sacrifice his own game to hold down a champion midfielder, but Vince does it, kicks goals and gets 30+ possessions (a lot of them damaging).

Viney also very good at negating whilst also impacting in a meaningful way, but Vince is on a whole other level.

I feel like the year Bernie has had he is in the box seat for the Bluey, with Jones coming in at a disappointing 2nd ( :P). I feel he has been the most consistent of the players and when the games been there to be won he's got us over the line. I must say I can't recall his time at Adelaide but it's also sounding like he's become a more rounded player with combining acquired defensive abilities to his already excellent offensive abilities.

Bernie is an example of what we have been missing for years now....Nathan Jones excepted. That is a class player who can win a match with his own individual effort when the game is there to be won. We all know what this is...Bernie's ability to kick vital goals in tight situations from either foot within or outside the 50 metre arc. You can't win matches without these players. Hopefully we have a few more coming down the track over the next few years.

• Like 4

This is what I love about him too.

I've never really seen anyone negate so well whilst impacting the game so much as well. Normally a 'tagger' needs to sacrifice his own game to hold down a champion midfielder, but Vince does it, kicks goals and gets 30+ possessions (a lot of them damaging).

Viney also very good at negating whilst also impacting in a meaningful way, but Vince is on a whole other level.

I have only seen one other person do it just as good and that was Andrew Carazzo in his prime. He could shut someone down and still get a heap of the pill.

Some of these comments do a massive, massive disservice to Jonesy. Why he is so perennially underrated I don't know. He's a gun. Some people just seem unwilling to accept that he's a gun.

Vince has had the better year and should win the Bluey, but there's hardly a huge gap between he and Jones as a player.

• Like 1

Having a look at the games he should poll:

Round 8: 39 point win vs Bulldogs- 26 touches and 2 goals (likely 2 or 3 votes)

Round 10: 25 point loss vs Collingwood- 34 touches and 2 goals (likely 1 or 2 votes)

Round 11: 2 point loss vs St Kilda- 38 touches (likely 1 or 2 votes)

Round 12: 24 point win vs Geelong- 38 touches and 2 goals (likely 3 votes)

Round 15: 9 point loss vs Essendon- 35 touches (likely 1 or 2 votes)

Round 18: 37 point win vs Collingwood- 30 touches and 3 goals (likely 3 votes)

I would have him on about 15 votes if he gets the best case scenario in each. Would likely need to have another BOG plus 2 more polling games to go close to a place finish.

I would like to think that Jack Viney will be a contender. Absolutely fantastic year - deserves some club recognition.

I think young Jack has had plenty of recognition and is a fantastic young player. If he aspires to be as good or better than Bernie (and succeeds) he will be gold, or even platinum.

What Bernie has that I can't recall seeing is an amazing ability to really hurt the opposition on the rebound, whist blanketing stars at the same time.

Having a look at the games he should poll:

Round 8: 39 point win vs Bulldogs- 26 touches and 2 goals (likely 2 or 3 votes)

Round 10: 25 point loss vs Collingwood- 34 touches and 2 goals (likely 1 or 2 votes)

Round 11: 2 point loss vs St Kilda- 38 touches (likely 1 or 2 votes)

Round 12: 24 point win vs Geelong- 38 touches and 2 goals (likely 3 votes)

Round 15: 9 point loss vs Essendon- 35 touches (likely 1 or 2 votes)

Round 18: 37 point win vs Collingwood- 30 touches and 3 goals (likely 3 votes)

I would have him on about 15 votes if he gets the best case scenario in each. Would likely need to have another BOG plus 2 more polling games to go close to a place finish.

$38 @ the TAB, $41 @ Crownbet....just saying. :)

While I wouldn't say Bernie is our best player, he is definitely top 5 on our list.

The trade for Bernie was the very definition of a win-win trade.

Adelaide were desperate to get a high pick following the Tippett saga, and we sorely needed someone that had any talent.

The free agency that gained us that pick though......all I can say is: sucked in, Ross.