Adam Goodes

picket fence

So you don't want these communities funded from the public purse ? They're self sufficient ?

I'm saying they're at a disadvantage.

What's the answer ?

The Government needs to work closely with the community and its leaders to ensure indigenous voices are being heard. You can't please everyone, but providing a forum for a positive discourse between politicians and respected indigenous voices is paramount. This would ensure tax payer money is spent wisely and economically, and contributes to meaningful and beneficial outcomes for all involved. Ultimately, that's true democracy too.

The last two paragraphs are so patronising I don't even know where to begin.

You're not the first poster to criticise those sentences but I don't see what the fuss is.

Indigenous leader Noel Pearson said much the same thing earlier this month - that Aboriginal people needed to throw off the cloak of victimhood and the traumas of history and deal with the problems of the present - and there's more than enough of those.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/indigenous/get-over-historical-indigenous-wrongs-noel-pearson/story-fn9hm1pm-1227339783341

I'm a supporter of reconciliation, and the steps that have been taken (saying sorry) and should be taken (fix the constitution) to continue that process.

But it's folly to think that the tangible things - health, education, jobs, economic prosperity, incarceration rates etc - will be changed by anyone but Indigenous people. It's called empowerment.

A lot needs to change for that to happen, on both sides of the fence. As it is now, about 70 per cent of the money the Commonwealth dishes out under the Indigenous Advancement Strategy goes to non-Indigenous organisations and just 30 per cent to Indigenous orgs.

Surely we will start seeing better results in efforts to 'close the gap' when those percentages are reversed, and Indigenous people are running the show.

The Empowered Communities initiative which is being run in eight Indigenous communities across Australia is a good example of the type of policy approach that might deliver better outcomes in all those indicators listed above.

"Instead of a variety of policies and programs that don’t fit together, the aim of Empowered Communities is to ensure that government policies and programs are well co-ordinated. The idea is for Empowered Communities, no matter where they are located, to identify their own needs and develop local programs for their unique local priorities.

"To make real change, funding arrangements will need to more closely reflect local needs, governments would need to be less prescriptive and Indigenous organisations would need to be more accountable for delivering outcomes in communities. Both would need to adopt a new way of working."

http://capeyorkpartnership.org.au/empowered-communities/

• Like 2

You're not the first poster to criticise those sentences but I don't see what the fuss is.

Indigenous leader Noel Pearson said much the same thing earlier this month - that Aboriginal people needed to throw off the cloak of victimhood and the traumas of history and deal with the problems of the present - and there's more than enough of those.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/indigenous/get-over-historical-indigenous-wrongs-noel-pearson/story-fn9hm1pm-1227339783341

I'm a supporter of reconciliation, and the steps that have been taken (saying sorry) and should be taken (fix the constitution) to continue that process.

But it's folly to think that the tangible things - health, education, jobs, economic prosperity, incarceration rates etc - will be changed by anyone but Indigenous people. It's called empowerment.

A lot needs to change for that to happen, on both sides of the fence. As it is now, about 70 per cent of the money the Commonwealth dishes out under the Indigenous Advancement Strategy goes to non-Indigenous organisations and just 30 per cent to Indigenous orgs.

Surely we will start seeing better results in efforts to 'close the gap' when those percentages are reversed, and Indigenous people are running the show.

The Empowered Communities initiative which is being run in eight Indigenous communities across Australia is a good example of the type of policy approach that might deliver better outcomes in all those indicators listed above.

"Instead of a variety of policies and programs that don’t fit together, the aim of Empowered Communities is to ensure that government policies and programs are well co-ordinated. The idea is for Empowered Communities, no matter where they are located, to identify their own needs and develop local programs for their unique local priorities.

"To make real change, funding arrangements will need to more closely reflect local needs, governments would need to be less prescriptive and Indigenous organisations would need to be more accountable for delivering outcomes in communities. Both would need to adopt a new way of working."

http://capeyorkpartnership.org.au/empowered-communities/

I thought I alluded to as much in my last post. :)

I thought I alluded to as much in my last post. :)

I hadn't seen that when I wrote mine. I was responding to your comment about that sentiment being 'patronising'.

Was interesting to see Sam Newman have a crack at Goodes on the Footy Show tonight, with much support from the audience.

I'm guessing that the booing will only increase in the future.

• Like 1

I hadn't seen that when I wrote mine. I was responding to your comment about that sentiment being 'patronising'.

Was interesting to see Sam Newman have a crack at Goodes on the Footy Show tonight, with much support from the audience.

I'm guessing that the booing will only increase in the future.[/quote

Sam Newman!!! Now the real dh's are entering the debate.

He is the main (not the only) reason I will not watch that drivel.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that the booing will only increase in the future.

Which will mean the debate that has been swirling since the hawks fans booed him will continue. Which will please goodes and others who believe the related issues need to be discussed. The beautiful irony is that such debate will frustrate the hell of many of the dimwits who are booing. Another irony if booing continues is that it won't be about playing for free kicks.

Well played adam

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

Why , bacause its true?

Are you one of the heroes that think they can change an innate human condition overnight LOL Racism will always exist, like it or not.

Just goes over your head doesn't it?

• Like 1

Nah, science is pretty self explanatory mate, thats whats great about it.

But I am not surprised its too much for you.

Not sure you actually understand what evolution means seeing you think something "innate" will never change.

You trip over yourself every time you talk.

• Like 1

I didnt say it will never change. I said it wont change overnight.

Looks like you tripped over yourself, again.

Why , bacause its true?

Are you one of the heroes that think they can change an innate human condition overnight LOL Racism will always exist, like it or not.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-26715-1368614294-0.

• Like 2

I didnt say it will never change. I said it wont change overnight.

Looks like you tripped over yourself, again.

Things really do fly over your head. Racism will always exist, 100%.

Funniest-Fail-GIFs-28.gif

Yes, reply to my scientific article with a hilarious GIF. Well done.

Now I know how Richard Dawkins must feel when he debates religious morons.

I thought you would appreciate the irony of someone tripping over when they saw something that is white, black, and Asian all in one...

The problem with simpletons like Stuie is that when I point out that every human possesses subconscious biases, they confuse it with outward racism.

Humans cant help having subconscious biases towards races, but theres no excuse or place for blatant racism obviously.

Heres some more reading material for Stuie and others https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-the-lines/201204/studies-unconscious-bias-racism-not-always-racists

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

HH weren't you the poster who made a ridiculously racist comment on a thread about 6 ot 8 months ago and got a two week holiday for it? Was it a Dayle Gartlett thread or a Jurrah thread? CBF searching, someone who remembers better might find a link.

Repeat offending clearly shows you haven't evolved at all.

HH weren't you the poster who made a ridiculously racist comment on a thread about 6 ot 8 months ago and got a two week holiday for it? Was it a Dayle Gartlett thread or a Jurrah thread? CBF searching, someone who remembers better might find a link.

Repeat offending clearly shows you haven't evolved at all.

that's a very evolutionist statement, moonie. you should be ashamed.

as hh demonstrates we all have different levels of innateness and evolve at different rates and times

maybe we should review this thread in a few millennia to give others the opportunity to catch up

Biases are based on fear, which is often due to a lack of exposure to something. You can treat fear (and therefore racism) by educating. HH, society can change, there will always be pockets of racism, due to a lack of universal education, but to just put your hands up in the air and say it's all too hard, racism will exist whatever, is kinda beside the point. It certainly doesn't and shouldn't excuse it either.

• Like 1