Training - Friday 27th March, 2015

The Devil Inside

I swung by later in the session by the time the Casey guys were gone.

Seemed to be a focus on getting up and down the ground and then also on in tight handballing. Both were big problems against the Dons so I'm glad they're on to it. Got nice and physical with some tackles in the handballing stuff as well.

Frost again doing work with the rucks and Dawes chiming in for boundary throw in practice. Pedersen neither - seems he'll be used differently this year.

In some ways a shame that Howe did the full session but on the other hand he moved well. It does seem sub at best for round 1.

According to Adam Baldwin - @adamwbaldwin on twitter from fox footy, vandenBerg isn't named for Casey. Are you sure he'll play Saty? If he doesn't play for Casey then I'm concerned that if they rested him for half a training session this week they aren't looking at him for round 1.

Just on this last bit - Partrick Keane tweeted that Petracca has been placed on the long term injury list, but no replacement at this stage has been named. I think we could assume that if vandenBerg doesn't play for Casey then he is likely to be elevated to the senior list in time for Round 1.

I must admit, I'm not comfortable with a person coming back from a hamstring strain being the sub. Seems like a recipe for a recurrence given the inability to be properly warmed up when called upon.

Of course, I'm not a medical or sports science professional so my concerns may be completely unfounded.

I understand what you are saying but i think you are looking at it wrong (they don't bring them on the second someone gets injured from what Ive seen).

Normally with the sub they hold off for the end of a quarter. So say they plan to bring him on for the 4th quarter (they can warm him up prior etc). BUT if someone gets injured say in the first quarter, they will likely wait until the end of the quarter and activate him for the second quarter (so he will have easily enough time to get warmed up and be ready)!

I'm happy with him being the sub (maybe prefer vandenburg as the other option).

I must admit, I'm not comfortable with a person coming back from a hamstring strain being the sub. Seems like a recipe for a recurrence given the inability to be properly warmed up when called upon.

Of course, I'm not a medical or sports science professional so my concerns may be completely unfounded.

Unless he was named on the field and then got subbed off....more comfortable now :)

• Like 1

Unless he was named on the field and then got subbed off....more comfortable now :)

Nah you can't go in to a game naming someone who is expected to come off. He has to start as the sub knowing the earliest he gets on is 1/4 time and then he can play 75% of the last 3 quarters if needed but preferably he just plays most of the last quarter.

I don't see it happening really. He can be fully managed at Casey for a good percentage of a VFL game and be right for round 2 instead of just giving us 25 minutes as the sub. The difference between Howe and someone like Matt Jones/Bail/Toumpas/Vandenberg for 1 quarter really shouldn't be so much as to change a game.

Just on this last bit - Partrick Keane tweeted that Petracca has been placed on the long term injury list, but no replacement at this stage has been named. I think we could assume that if vandenBerg doesn't play for Casey then he is likely to be elevated to the senior list in time for Round 1.

The mail I was getting on twitter was he was rested from the second half of training and won't play VFL OR round 1. If he was playing round 1 without playing VFL he would've trained fully today like every other player. If he's playing VFL then it's to make up for missed time in the NAB challenge (he played less than a half v Freo and less than a quarter v WB).

In short I think he's a better chance to play round 1 by playing at Casey. I hope he plays (and plays well) tomorrow.

• Like 2

The mail I was getting on twitter was he was rested from the second half of training and won't play VFL OR round 1. If he was playing round 1 without playing VFL he would've trained fully today like every other player. If he's playing VFL then it's to make up for missed time in the NAB challenge (he played less than a half v Freo and less than a quarter v WB).

In short I think he's a better chance to play round 1 by playing at Casey. I hope he plays (and plays well) tomorrow.

Agreed.

Interesting bit on Howe too - the HUN is reporting Howe is now more than likely to play in Round 1 than not. Taken from an interview with Roos today, all depends on how he pulls up over the weekend and after training early next week. Seems as though they are very keen to get him out there for Round 1, even without any match fitness.

PING!

200414_ChrisJudd_800x600.jpg?itok=ucCzXY

(I know he was coming back from an Achilles, but, well, you know...)

Agreed.

Interesting bit on Howe too - the HUN is reporting Howe is now more than likely to play in Round 1 than not. Taken from an interview with Roos today, all depends on how he pulls up over the weekend and after training early next week. Seems as though they are very keen to get him out there for Round 1, even without any match fitness.

It was Howie who said to me he will be 'super sub', that being said, he was really good today, you wouldn't guess he was out for 9 weeks, covered 11km according to the GPS, he asked and then told me, he had one bit were his bib was grabbed and he propped on one leg and then spun, I closed my eyes but he came out ok. Best bit I liked was he stopped to have a chat to a couple of us, and then sprinted off at full speed to catch up to some other players, think a bit of show for any staff watching

• Like 2

Shouldn't be training, in fact shouldn't even be at the club if that was the case.

Might be MFCSS but I'm now predicting we have about 5 missing and 5 under the weather in round 1. You have gastro you stay home people.

All too true.

IF others get it, whoever allowed him near the club should be drawn and quartered.

Hopefully I am going to take the train down to Cranbourne again tomorrow and then the trusty scoot to Casey Fields, will put a report on later tomorrow night if the expedition is successful

I find it more interesting that they are giving Spencer and Pedersen a rest this week, are they under consideration for Rd 1 or just cover?

Hope not at his old mans restaurant

I think this was what all the mirth was about the couple of times he had to dash off

I am still amazed that his was the only "fitness' issue today, apart from Petracca, Trengove and possibly Hunt (although he did a bit of training today) and ANB, the rest of the squad is fit and ready to go

• Like 1

I think this was what all the mirth was about the couple of times he had to dash off

I am still amazed that his was the only "fitness' issue today, apart from Petracca, Trengove and possibly Hunt (although he did a bit of training today) and ANB, the rest of the squad is fit and ready to go

877024-david-misson.jpg

It was Howie who said to me he will be 'super sub', that being said, he was really good today, you wouldn't guess he was out for 9 weeks, covered 11km according to the GPS, he asked and then told me, he had one bit were his bib was grabbed and he propped on one leg and then spun, I closed my eyes but he came out ok. Best bit I liked was he stopped to have a chat to a couple of us, and then sprinted off at full speed to catch up to some other players, think a bit of show for any staff watching

TDI, what's your gut feel about Howe re-signing or requesting a trade?

• Like 1

TDI doesn't operate on 'gut feel'; he deals strictly in 'facts'. He will get back to you sometime in the future, when he has had time to mull over, entirely dismiss, and then warp your 'opinion' to suit the message that he wishes to convey.

Either that or he will 'ask' the player concerned and will post the 'answer' here, with said player's 'blessing', of course.

Just be careful, or 'onto ignore you go (chap)', even though he will continue to read, and reply to, your posts when it suits him.

Poop, this place has finally done it; it has sent me stark raving 'mad'.

Seriously ?

I have a feeling his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek when he asked the question.

Will be keeping an eye on Demonland tomorrow to see how the boys go for Casey. I still think there are a few spots up for grabs if there are some standout players from the weekend.

• Like 1

I have a feeling his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek when he asked the question.

Will be keeping an eye on Demonland tomorrow to see how the boys go for Casey. I still think there are a few spots up for grabs if there are some standout players from the weekend.

One can only hope, but some of the cringe-worthy questions that have been directed to him make you wonder.

I'll be at Casey tomorrow for a bird's eye view. That said, it's the worst spectator ground I've come across.

One can only hope, but some of the cringe-worthy questions that have been directed to him make you wonder.

I'll be at Casey tomorrow for a bird's eye view. That said, it's the worst spectator ground I've come across.

That's true.

If you can give a report on the game, or a few thoughts afterwards, it would be appreciated.

The Boyd move changed the whole landscape, followed by Griffen

Unfortunately I think we are going the way of European soccer where the managers are driving the change

Howe immediately knocked back an 11th hour trade to GWS last year

Not sure if they come knocking again with a ridiculous offer, might be too good to refuse, of course he needs a good year as well

Depends on what he sees as the future with MFC

Interesting the blurb said his manager was 'testing the market'

From what I have seen and heard from him, he is very happy at MFC, but then again one of his best mates still is Chip Frawley

From now on I won't believe anything about players contracts anymore until the end of the trade/draft period next November

(a new troll I see, may read if I need a laugh)

• Like 3

The Boyd move changed the whole landscape, followed by Griffen

Unfortunately I think we are going the way of European soccer where the managers are driving the change

Howe immediately knocked back an 11th hour trade to GWS last year

Not sure if they come knocking again with a ridiculous offer, might be too good to refuse, of course he needs a good year as well

Depends on what he sees as the future with MFC

Interesting the blurb said his manager was 'testing the market'

From what I have seen and heard from him, he is very happy at MFC, but then again one of his best mates still is Chip Frawley

From now on I won't believe anything about players contracts anymore until the end of the trade/draft period next November

(a new troll I see, may read if I need a laugh)

Nah mate, not a troll, just someone who has finally grown sick of the way you try to denigrate any discussion on this forum that may be critical of club or player. And, unlike others, I won't attack you personally, as I have all ready told you that I respect the work you do for the club (I bought raffle tickets from you on Family Day, you silly bugger).

And the post quoted above is good, because it is not pure arse kissing, but actually considers the issue at hand with some sense of objectivity.

• Like 3