Top 10 out of contract targets

The team we love

I'd have Treloar or Shiel before Toby Greene.

He's a pest off the field and we've got Viney in the wings who is a similar type of player with similar attributes.

We need a dynamic midfield and the missing ingredient atm is class and finish.

Greene wouldn't give us that.

He had been chosen by the Giants at No.11 in the 2011 draft, and finished second in the club's best and fairest award in his debut season, averaging more disposals a game than any other 18-year-old in AFL history.

Throw money bags at Treloar and Danger next year and we're on our way

Imagine a midfield rotation of:

Jones

Dangerfield

Tyson

Treloar

Viney

Vince

Brayshaw

Salem

Toumpas

That's disgusting is what that is.

grunt types

*Jones

*Kennedy2015 trade?

*Viney

inside/outside types

*Tyson

*Shiel

*Vince

*Brayshaw2014draft?

*Salem

*Toumpas

*Laverde2014draft?

*Stretch2014deraft

"That's disgusting is what that is".... so is this deespicable lot

Edited by dee-luded

Throw money bags at Treloar and Danger next year and we're on our way

Imagine a midfield rotation of:

Jones

Dangerfield

Tyson

Treloar

Viney

Vince

Brayshaw

Salem

Toumpas

That's disgusting is what that is.

It's got a decent mixture of types, but aside from Danger and Treloar lacks a bit of toe. What's Brayshaw like? Quick? It has me salivating though.

Oh and I'd take Greene as well, if we could swing three, but Danger and Treloar will do me fine. ;) I can't see Danger signing anywhere but Geelong at the moment. We shall see.

Edited by AdamFarr

Our most important target isn't on that list - Nathan Jones.

I'm sick of bleeding players out of this club.

Make a statement and re-sign Jones then move on to external targets.

Well said and so true.

Go Nathan - we love you.

I would have thought Tom Hawkins would be equal no 1 on that list along side Danger

Hawkins has 3 premiership medals...he may now want $$$$. Will cost Geelong a pretty penny to keep him...Tommy contract has snuck under the radar so far

In the wake of the Boyd deal every football manager in the country is redoing its sums for salary cap problems...a rude awakening for some. To some extent we are fortunate that we haven't had any stars commanding big $.

For mine, Hawkins is the one to watch!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Our number one priority needs to be turn a fair few of the those 9 " leading in the last quarters" last year into wins this season.

We as supporters saw genuine improvement last year under Roos but that didn't translate on the scoreboard or in the wins column.

We need to give any of these out of contract players concrete proof of the direction we are heading - it will making bagging one or two of them so much easier.

Tex Walker as a Free Agent and one of Treloar/Shiel (doubt we could come up with the combination of picks/players to satisfy for both) would make me very happy.

• Like 1

Tex Walker as a Free Agent and one of Treloar/Shiel (doubt we could come up with the combination of picks/players to satisfy for both) would make me very happy.

i think tex is a tad over-rated

no doubt his best days are really good........but he is very inconsistent

I would have thought Tom Hawkins would be equal no 1 on that list along side Danger

Hawkins has 3 premiership medals...he may now want $$$$. Will cost Geelong a pretty penny to keep him...Tommy contract has snuck under the radar so far

In the wake of the Boyd deal every football manager in the country is redoing its sums for salary cap problems...a rude awakening for some. To some extent we are fortunate that we haven't had any stars commanding big $.

I'm all for it. He is a gun who steps up in the big games, also a bit of revenge for taking Rivers, Clark and trying to take Frawley!

absolutely with you grazman

Or have another crack at Joey Kennedy, the leader we need in the guts.

Hawkins will never leave Geelong.

Old man played for them, grew up a Geelong-mad kid.

Country boy who loves living in Geelong and the Barwon Heads golf courses.

No chance of him ever leaving.

• Like 2

absolutely with you grazman

Or have another crack at Joey Kennedy, the leader we need in the guts.

Only problem is he's not a free agent and I don't think a pick in the low teens will be enough to satisfy the Swans. :blink: Otherwise I agree we should have a crack at whoever we can get.

Only problem is he's not a free agent and I don't think a pick in the low teens will be enough to satisfy the Swans. :blink: Otherwise I agree we should have a crack at whoever we can get.

Pick in the low teens won't get his old boots. if he wants a trade out, we'll have to cough up TWO 1st Rndrs. The Swans are stuck tight between the Salary cap & Cola ropes.

They can't trade players Into their list; so have to work the draft & their academy. So IMO will be looking for picks & salary cap relief, before their maturing young mids are ready for new contract negotiations.

.... there Will Be one or two interested to return home, at some time.

Pick in the low teens won't get his old boots. if he wants a trade out, we'll have to cough up TWO 1st Rndrs. The Swans are stuck tight between the Salary cap & Cola ropes.

They can't trade players Into their list; so have to work the draft & their academy. So IMO will be looking for picks & salary cap relief, before their maturing young mids are ready for new contract negotiations.

.... there Will Be one or two interested to return home, at some time.

We're in furious agreement - a pick in the low teens was tongue in cheek - it's more likely to be a top ten pick even with FA compensation to other clubs unless something really does click, but the point still stands we need to trade in a low pick which means giving something up. Accepting that you may have to give up a good player and your first rounder to get a player who isn't available as a free agent who would you take out of Treloar, Shiel and Kennedy? (My order of preference mainly due to age).

Daisycutter,

Personally I don't think Tex is overrated. Off a knee reconstruction his stats are more than favourable in comparison to Hawkins for example:

Walker: 15 games averaged 14.7 possessions (6.8 contested), 5.6 marks, 2.3 goals (34 total)

Hawkins: 23 games averaged 12.1 possessions (6.5 contested) 6.4 marks, 2.7 goals (63 total)

I think he's a better match for our game plan being a very mobile forward and more value for money. I also think in terms of gettable targets he's the one I'd be working on more than Dangerfield (though one doesn't preclude the other) - we've probably been putting some work into him and his manager. I doubt Hawkins will leave Geelong. The time to start working on trading is now - put the effort into managers by talking dollars and years and hope that the right combination of circumstances will prevail to facilitate the movement. A lot will depend on Phil Walsh and how Adelaide perform of course, the same with Leon Cameron. The pressure will definitely be on in the first half of the year. Its a funny sort of game now - a bit like RL when players are playing out a season knowing they're going to be playing for someone else the following year.

Edited by grazman

We're in furious agreement - a pick in the low teens was tongue in cheek - it's more likely to be a top ten pick even with FA compensation to other clubs unless something really does click, but the point still stands we need to trade in a low pick which means giving something up. Accepting that you may have to give up a good player and your first rounder to get a player who isn't available as a free agent who would you take out of Treloar, Shiel and Kennedy? (My order of preference mainly due to age).

Daisycutter,

Personally I don't think Tex is overrated. Off a knee reconstruction his stats are more than favourable in comparison to Hawkins for example:

Walker: 15 games averaged 14.7 possessions (6.8 contested), 5.6 marks, 2.3 goals (34 total)

Hawkins: 23 games averaged 12.1 possessions (6.5 contested) 6.4 marks, 2.7 goals (63 total)

I think he's a better match for our game plan being a very mobile forward and more value for money. I also think in terms of gettable targets he's the one I'd be working on more than Dangerfield (though one doesn't preclude the other) - we've probably been putting some work into him and his manager. I doubt Hawkins will leave Geelong. The time to start working on trading is now - put the effort into managers by talking dollars and years and hope that the right combination of circumstances will prevail to facilitate the movement. A lot will depend on Phil Walsh and how Adelaide perform of course, the same with Leon Cameron. The pressure will definitely be on in the first half of the year. Its a funny sort of game now - a bit like RL when players are playing out a season knowing they're going to be playing for someone else the following year.

I new you were kidding grazman.

Josh Kennedy would take our 1st pick & another around p-16.... although I would have to think hard about getting one of shiel or treloar for a top pick (6ish) & say a 3rdRnd pick. Then use the later 1st Rnd pick on another player

the Ideal would be to get 2 free agents after tying up Garland. A Mid & big Tex.

I'd rather now, joey Kennedy & tex Walker, as a pair of recruits before the 2016 season.

Anything that makes the team definitely better right now, yes I see what you're saying.

But 2 and 3 could be 'Ollie Wines X 2'. Would you be happy with giving those guys up to get a player 1 year ahead of time that you could potentially get for free as FA?

Anything that makes the team definitely better right now, yes I see what you're saying.

But 2 and 3 could be 'Ollie Wines X 2'. Would you be happy with giving those guys up to get a player 1 year ahead of time that you could potentially get for free as FA?

I'm not sure if you understood me? IMO take Brayshaw & Lever now, & let Petracca if he is still there, slide to GWS.... gut feel, I reckon he'll need 2 yrs to build his engine, as he's a power build. I think he'll struggle to run out games.

They'll have to play him as he develops, forcing another out of the team. End of 2015, time for us then to strike, to pickup one of theirs who wants to return. Then after 2 Yrs, see if Petracca is ready to come back to Vic for the 2017 season..