Northern Blues v Casey Scorpions

Sounds promising for players like Riley, Michie and McKenzie.

Anyone else get the feeling Strauss has little hope of renewing his contract. Uninspiring reviews and stats week after week.

VFL Player Review - Round Six

This is the second week that Allison has made comments about Strauss being a lot better than what he is producing. I get the feeling he has untapped potential that they are trying to work out how to get to. Granted if he doesn't soon he will not be there next year.
  • Like 2

This is the second week that Allison has made comments about Strauss being alot better than what he is producing. I get the feeling he has untapped potential that they are trying to work out how to get to. Granted if he doesn't soon he will not be there next year.

Hidden talent brfe?

You know the rest

From reading that article, I too get the sense they have identified some things in Strauss that they like, and will persevere with him through this year to help him develop them. I have always wanted him to succeed but thought he had been tried too many times and not produced. Watch this space, I reckon, but I need some convincing about him now.

Good reports on Michie, Riley, Tappy and Jordie.

Interesting about Toumpas. Sounds like he has to learn to play much more than his natural game, and is only just coming to terms with it.

• Like 1

Riley, Blease, Mitchie, Toumpas & Tappy are the ones worth pursuing IMO. Not sure if there is much of a future for McKenzie & Nicholson. Both have poor skills, McKenzie is also to slow & Nichos decision making is deplorable. Clisby maybe worth persevering with also but I don't hold much hope for him. We need to develop another key defender also.

Riley, Blease, Mitchie, Toumpas & Tappy are the ones worth pursuing IMO. Not sure if there is much of a future for McKenzie & Nicholson. Both have poor skills, McKenzie is also to slow & Nichos decision making is deplorable. Clisby maybe worth persevering with also but I don't hold much hope for him. We need to develop another key defender also.

We need to find one first.

Great to have a queue for senior selection. Shame about Strauss, looks to have a great AFL physique and the requisite skills -maybe lacks the fire in the belly

Not sure about the AFL physique? Strauss is mostly another MFC vanilla recruit. Apart from a so called lethal left foot I am not sure what is weapons are. He was getting there until the horrible leg break so I have given him time but I just don't see where he can make a difference. Dunn has him covered for experience and smarts off half back, then there is Grimes, Garland and co, so I am not sure where he would fit now.

Not sure about the AFL physique? Strauss is mostly another MFC vanilla recruit. Apart from a so called lethal left foot I am not sure what is weapons are. He was getting there until the horrible leg break so I have given him time but I just don't see where he can make a difference. Dunn has him covered for experience and smarts off half back, then there is Grimes, Garland and co, so I am not sure where he would fit now.

Strauss isn't a left footer.

Strauss has a number of strengths. He's good good speed, is strong and a very good size. He's an excellent kick who can get the ball to travel quickly. That said, he has some things he needs to work on.

• Like 2

Strauss isn't a left footer.

Strauss has a number of strengths. He's good good speed, is strong and a very good size. He's an excellent kick who can get the ball to travel quickly. That said, he has some things he needs to work on.

Axis ( or is it sponge) Bob

I stand corrected, but he has a reputed lethal boot which we have seen little of. I hope your are right and he turns it around but I just don't see the potential this season. He looked run of the mill on Saturday but let's keep our fingers crossed.

Lets not forget Kent pushing for senior selection (I realize he will have to do a few more weeks in the 2's due to his suspension), but as has been highlighted before, at long last we seem to have some depth.

My parents live opposite Adem Yze's parents and I run into Adem every now and then. I also played several years of country cricket with Adem and his brothers, and yes, he was a freak with the willow. Talking to Adem several months ago we got talking about our list and he was all praise of Kent, he couldn't talk highly enough of him. Said he would love to have him on their list and we did well to get him.

• Like 2

If you watch the goals package, if McKenzie had 30 disposals he must have had 30 goal assists - he is involved in every one of them.

I know it is a step up from VFL to AFL but just from that package you can see he has got some "cheapies". That is the biggest knock on McKenzie - defensively and shutting down - he is good - but does not involve himself enough outside his defensive role. He looks from that 3 minute grab to be pushing forward and spreading.

• Like 1

From what I could make out, Strauss seemed to be playing as a defensive forward, tended to go anywhere except near the ball, maybe playing the decoy role giving Smith a one on one which worked to perfection in the first half, will have to wait and see coaches review.

Actually forgot to mention ventured on to the quagmire at 3/4 time was very impressed with Brad Miller's talk to the forwards, calm, quietly spoken, just stressing to try and do the 1 percenters and lock the ball in the forward 50 if they could, and jag a goal or two, worked to perfection

So review reveals he wasn't working hard enough, so that was the reason he wasn't near the ball

Sounds promising for players like Riley, Michie and McKenzie.

Anyone else get the feeling Strauss has little hope of renewing his contract. Uninspiring reviews and stats week after week.

VFL Player Review - Round Six

I imagine Strauss may need a new scene to progress, with all he's been thru, he may feel without hope in our surroundings. he needs to shake it up for sure.

Looks like Riley is the next one up.

I reckon midfield runners, either Clisby in that role or Nicholson, unless we lose an in&under type. #edit: I also forgot Kent*

and we need a small forward type to stepup, although Viney could move forward.

Edited by dee-luded

Great to have a queue for senior selection. Shame about Strauss, looks to have a great AFL physique and the requisite skills -maybe lacks the fire in the belly

maybe self belief. maybe he needs to rediscover it after his setbacks, & the formline of Melbourne over the last 5 years.