Jeff Farmer - 8 goals in 2000 Prelim final

What

Somehow, Jeff Farmers 8 goal haul in the 2000 Prelim vs the Kangaroos is almost a forgotten performance.

How often does a player kick 8 goals in a final, let alone a preliminary final? In fact when was the last time any player kicked 8 in any final?

I was pretty shocked to see there was no highlights on Youtube of this classic game from the Wiz.

• Like 1

I thought the 9 he kicked against the Pies H&A in a half of footy was better IMO.

But yeah 8 goals in a Prelim is damn awesome. Lets face it he was awe inspiring!

Was the next big thing from the Allen Jakovich & Schwarta Glory days at that point...

None of us will forget Wiz...shame he went to play for those tacky coloured morons in the west..He wasn't the same....Grew a big mane...and knocked us off after the siren one time..

That was hard to watch..

• Like 5

I thought the 9 he kicked against the Pies H&A in a half of footy was better IMO.

But yeah 8 goals in a Prelim is damn awesome. Lets face it he was awe inspiring!

Was the next big thing from the Allen Jakovich & Schwarta Glory days at that point...

None of us will forget Wiz...shame he went to play for those tacky coloured morons in the west..He wasn't the same....Grew a big mane...and knocked us off after the siren one time..

That was hard to watch..

Understatement.

Also had a great run leading into the '98 finals, pretty sure he kicked 6 goals in each of the R22 game vs Richmond, the QF vs Adelaide and the SF vs St. Kilda (may have been only 5 in one of those).

But yeah the 2000 game vs Collingwood is still one of the best individual performances I have seen from a player in a half of footy. Took a speccy late in the last as well and had a relatively easy shot to make it 10 goals but unfortunately missed.

On a semi related note, what happens in 2 years when Farmer's first son is eligible for the draft? Assuming he inherited his dad's magic? 100+ games for both the Dees and Freo, but would guess we'll finish lower on the ladder than Freo in 2016.

Edited by Lamashtu

On a semi related note, what happens in 2 years when Farmer's first son is eligible for the draft? Assuming he inherited his dad's magic? 100+ games for both the Dees and Freo, but would guess we'll finish lower on the ladder than Freo in 2016.

Pretty sure it's up to the kid if he wants to nominate for F/S for either club?

• Like 1

Just on that Jeff Farmers missus got on the MFC facebook page and made a comment at how much the Wiz regretted moving to Freo and that he will always be a Demon first. Apparently Freo gave him the heave ho and cut all ties with him even club at functions, where to this day our great club always welcomes him into the rooms and past players over in Perth whenever we play there. In fact last year Wiz was at the training day before the Freo game over there. Players were in absolute awe of him.

One of my all time favourite MFC players. Loved him as a kid straight away and still love him to this day.

If he had stayed in Melbourne we would have won a grand Final he was seriously so electrifying for us.

• Like 4

Just on that Jeff Farmers missus got on the MFC facebook page and made a comment at how much the Wiz regretted moving to Freo and that he will always be a Demon first. Apparently Freo gave him the heave ho and cut all ties with him even club at functions, where to this day our great club always welcomes him into the rooms and past players over in Perth whenever we play there. In fact last year Wiz was at the training day before the Freo game over there. Players were in absolute awe of him.

One of my all time favourite MFC players. Loved him as a kid straight away and still love him to this day.

If he had stayed in Melbourne we would have won a grand Final he was seriously so electrifying for us.

I'm sure he carried broken ribs into that granny? Or just rumour?

• Like 1

I'm sure he carried broken ribs into that granny? Or just rumour?

I think he did because I remember in the GF when his jumper got ripped off he had some sort of padding around them.

But how good was he in the game against richmond when he sat on top of Gary's head and took that mark. The 2000 finals series he was just awesome. Against the saints and crows and he was a great player to watch. I was shattered when he left to go to freo.

Great post and nice to hear where his heart lies.

What an interesting game. Brad Scholl kicked 7 for North and it was Martin Pike's last game for North before being shown the door to his 3rd AFL club. Who would think he would would three more premierships?

And Melbourne kicked 6.14 more than North.