2011 Draft

jackaub

I was perusing some draft history last night trying to figure where we went wrong in terms of draft outcomes selections etc

One thing that did stand out was 2011 national Draft

1) Available selections - Our first pick was 36 Taggert games 0

- Our seconf pick was 52 Tynan games 2

- Our third pick was 54 Sellar games 23

2) Rookies all failed

3) No preseason selections

My memory has failed me Why didnt we get a higher selection? Did we lose selections for some infraction?

Given that we finished 12th something must have happened?

Taggert looked okay at times to me, i understand why we delisted him but i thought he was probably worth one more year, or re-drafting as a rookie

• Like 1

I think all the midfielders we brought in (Vince, Cross, Michie, Tyson, Riley) were better than Taggert and he already couldn't get a game.

Wasn't likely to this year.

What would another year on the list do for him?

It was a pretty weak draft though, not a lot of stars shining through just yet.

I think all the midfielders we brought in (Vince, Cross, Michie, Tyson, Riley) were better than Taggert and he already couldn't get a game.

Wasn't likely to this year.

What would another year on the list do for him?

It was a pretty weak draft though, not a lot of stars shining through just yet.

Thought he had some attributes that were good, a year under George stone and Roosy we could know more about him

Thought he had some attributes that were good, a year under George stone and Roosy we could know more about him

He hardly inspired at Casey. That's usually enough criteria right there...

He hardly inspired at Casey. That's usually enough criteria right there...

I agree, and I can't for the life of me figure out what "weapons" he had.

What were his outstanding attributes?

Being a little bit taller than a stock standard mid?

Letter writing?

Letter writing?

He was an excellent kick, good decision maker and pretty good overhead. Biggest problem was his focus, he would drift in and out of the game too much. Injury in his first season didn't help things plus coming into the club during the last few years was not a bonus either.

Playing in SA this year and I hope he works hard enough to get another crack at it down the track.

• Like 3

Hairshirt thread....some posters do really need to get out from behind the keyboard now and again....move on nothing to see here....practice game against Hawthorn coming up

He's entitled to his say, dont read it if you dont like it. Now get back to stalking the players at training

Edited by DavidNeitz9
  • Like 5

Letter writing?

I didn't use the word weapons.. and he played some promising games at casey, i remember him kicking 5 goals from half forward towards the end of the season and alot of posters hoping he'd get a run in the 1's, can completely understand why he was delisted if you're on the list of a team that wins 2 games and don't get a run there is normally a reason for it, but i felt he might have shown enough to be looked at for one more year, even as a rookie

2011 just finished off an unbelievable period of trading and drafting blunders.

Then Todd Viney took over in 2012 and suddenly we started drafting like a professional club

Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Viney, Jesse Hogan, Dean Kent, Dom Barry, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich

Might go down as the draft that saved our club and set up future success.

Edited by hogans_heroes

Hairshirt thread....some posters do really need to get out from behind the keyboard now and again....move on nothing to see here....practice game against Hawthorn coming up

lol

What the hell is the problem with talking about past drafts?

Or is the drafts we do badly in we can't mention?

Honestly, think before you post.

• Like 2

lol

What the hell is the problem with talking about past drafts?

Or is the drafts we do badly in we can't mention?

Honestly, think before you post.

Why?....it's in the past...what does it achieve apart from the usual hair shirt wearers and Neeld bashers filling a thread with vitriol....what is the point?......if you want to discuss Taggert go and watch Sturt this season....not interested in any player who doesn't play for MFC ....again I can post what I like, same as you let everybody else, same if you don't like it...dont't read it

• Like 1

Then Todd Viney took over in 2012 and suddenly we started drafting like a professional club

Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Viney, Jesse Hogan, Dean Kent, Dom Barry, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich

Might go down as the draft that saved our club and set up future success.

Viney did a great job there, probably wouldn't put Barry and M Jones with the others though, they most likely won't be around in a couple of years.

Why?....it's in the past...what does it achieve apart from the usual hair shirt wearers and Neeld bashers filling a thread with vitriol....what is the point?......if you want to discuss Taggert go and watch Sturt this season....not interested in any player who doesn't play for MFC ....again I can post what I like, same as you let everybody else, same if you don't like it...dont't read it

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

• Like 3

I remember him kicking 5 goals from half forward towards the end of the season and alot of posters

I remember this game, it was against Bendigo when they were really struggling. It was good he jagged a couple but he wasn't great in the game. Magner had approximately 268 touches if I remember correctly.

I remember 1 game in his first year where he had a cracker picking up nearly 30 touches from the centre. I thought we had picked a winner and was excited at things to come.

Last year however he played on a flank for most of the year and he looked lost in a few games I watched. The recruiting of Magner & Couch probably didn't help his chance to get back into the guts either.

He was one who I could have understood both if we decided to keep him or cut him loose. I still wouldn't be surprised if we see him on a list again in the future.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the rookies that we have targetted [i.e. would you get rid of Georgiou to make room?] and i guess it was a toss-up between him and Bennell.

I remember this game, it was against Bendigo when they were really struggling. It was good he jagged a couple but he wasn't great in the game. Magner had approximately 268 touches if I remember correctly.

I remember 1 game in his first year where he had a cracker picking up nearly 30 touches from the centre. I thought we had picked a winner and was excited at things to come.

Last year however he played on a flank for most of the year and he looked lost in a few games I watched. The recruiting of Magner & Couch probably didn't help his chance to get back into the guts either.

He was one who I could have understood both if we decided to keep him or cut him loose. I still wouldn't be surprised if we see him on a list again in the future.

And that was the problem with Magner 268 touches 143 kicks to the opposition 122 handballs to players ankles or over their heads & 3 out of bound on the full.