AFL LIVE APP

sue

Has any one used a tbox to watch AFL?

I use a tbox to watch replays of AFL and find the quality be be adequate.

The tbox in general is a pretty crappy device (I got it for free) but fine for bigpond movies.

I have just purchased an Apple TV and a large Panasonic -last of the plasma- TV and will give the AFL app a go.

Living in the country has many advantages but ADSL quality is not one of them!

One thing to be wary of when streaming from iPad to AppleTV is interference - I was having problems with my NFL Gamepass earlier in the year and figured out it was because the baby monitor I had set up in the same room was interfering with the wifi streaming. Even after removing this I still had problems with lagging/quality so ended up just watching through my laptop plugged straight into TV (NFL doesn't have an AppleTV app yet unlike NBA, NHL & MLB).

One thing to be wary of when streaming from iPad to AppleTV is interference - I was having problems with my NFL Gamepass earlier in the year and figured out it was because the baby monitor I had set up in the same room was interfering with the wifi streaming. Even after removing this I still had problems with lagging/quality so ended up just watching through my laptop plugged straight into TV (NFL doesn't have an AppleTV app yet unlike NBA, NHL & MLB).

watching game one on Apple TV and it's pretty good. A tiny bit pixels but I'm happy. fooooottttyyyyys baaaaaack

Everyone always complains about the afl app, but since the start of 2013 I think it's been fantastic. I am with Telstra so am often accessing via 4G but I'm watching on my 8 inch tab right now and the picture quality really is great under the circumstances.

• Like 1

I purchased a 1 week pass on the AFL Live app on my iPad and then streamed it onto my Apple TV via Wifi. It worked better then i thought it would and I am very happy with this service. Apart from the occasional 10-20 second drop in quality the the resolution was pretty good, even on the 60inch plasma.

Definitely worth the money if your like me and refuse to buy Foxtel just for Fox footy. I would probably recommend buying just a 1 week pass at first to make sure it works on your setup though.

• Like 1

I've bought a weekly pass and will be trying it tonight. Will let you know how I find it.

But getting it to work has been a struggle. After I bought the pass, it still demanded a username and password with no hint of where that would come from. They told me (after the usual struggle with their helpdesk(s)/chats that I should use my telstra username. Funnily enough I don't have one and noone in Telstra could tell me how to register a new one. If you run it on an iphone it does have a register option. But when you hit it it says 'coming soon'.

Nowhere in the doco does it say you must have a telstra username to use the app. If I go on-line to the telstra website it has a rego option but when I try that it says look on your bill to check you are entering the correct info since what you entered didn't match their database. Not surprising since I am not in their data base and don't have any bill. Fortunately my other half has an old telstra username for a defunct account and that worked.

But the app still wouldn't play premium video until I hit the restore in-app purchases button. Whoopee. All blindingly obvious really. So iPad now fine.

I can't get it to work on my iphone. It accepts the username/password but then acts as if I don't have a pass. The doco says the pass will work on all your devices. I now suspect that the what is needed for that is the 'coming soon' afl username not the Telstra one. Anyone know?

I see that the afl username rego page says that there will be a free trial pass. Perhaps good if you want to wait till the afl username rego option has 'come'.

Now don't any of you effers laugh but I'm no technological whizz - I'm competent at what I need to be. My question. I have a recent model i phone and use amaysim. What will I get via this app?

Maybe you already have this, but the details are at:

http://www.afl.com.au/mobile

Read the stuff at the bottom about network charges if you are not on the Telstra network (and even sometimes if you are).

As you'll see from earlier posts, some people have found the live video really good and some the opposite with various problems and some in between. It's not clear why it works well for some and not others. Some people can display it on a large screen, some can't depending on what hardware they have. As I said earlier, I don't find the other features useful - most of that guff about footy is available by other means, but you might like having it all in one place.

One things for sure, it is hard to get any help out of Telstra. If what I said in my last post is true, then not everything works as advertised just yet. Telstra have promised someone who actually knows will call me tomorrow to answer the questions/problems I raised. Happy to add some more if anyone has some.

• Like 1

Just watched 15 mins of Hawthorn v some young blokes at the start a bit in the middle and now most of the last quarter and I'm pleasantly surprised. Transfers well from iPad to TV through appletv box over airplay.

Ha ha, just as I typed that it stopped. The iPad decided I needed to restart airplay.

So my main concern now is whether Tesltra's servers would handle a bigger load when a match a lot of people wanted to watch was on.

My other concern is the Fox commentators. Here is a Brisbane team with a lot of new faces, a few also at Hawthorn I guess. Rather than concentrating on the play and who is involved to help viewers identify the new blokes, the commentators just waffle on trying to show how much they know about footy.

• Like 1

Where did you see the info about the free trial pass sue was it on the app or AFL website? I couldn't see it on the app on my iPhone.

It's in the app when you try to register a username (Also see below). It says 'coming soon' but below that there is a pile of guff about the product including the free trial.

But the thing is flakey in odd ways. Initially I could only see the option to register a username on the iphone and not the ipad. But just a while back it suddenly appeared on the iPad. No idea why. So I'm guessing the free trial will only start when the 'afl username' thing actually comes.

ed to add: But you may only see those panels after you buy a pass. I can't recall seeing it before I bought the week pass.

Also, the Login/regiser option appears in the main menu right at the bottom - may have to scroll down.

Another addition: The app actually points to this web address which has all the guff. COuldn't see a link to this on the afl website however.

http://www.afl.com.au/register

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

Just some more info in case anyone has been struggling like I have been.

While my iPad as working fine with the app, on my iPhone it kept trying to get me to buy a new pass. This is usually solved by hitting a button labelled "restore in app purchase" but there was none to be seen. A very helpful chap in Telstra AFL (who puts the rest of their helpdesk system to shame) said there was that button on his phone. This made me think about how flakey the app is - you see different panels in different circumstances/devices for no apparent reason. So I tried turning off WiFI and running it using mobile data. Suddenly I had a 'restore in app purchase' button. Hit that, went back to WiFi and it all works.

As for the free trial pass, it looks like you'll have to wait for the AFL username thing to become available.

• Like 1