WELCOME BACK TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - NEVILLE JETTA

Whispering_Jack

Sweet.

might be the kick he needs.

Ridiculous decision. The guy has shown nothing in five years and now we give him more chances.

We are light on for small defenders, Terlich/Nicholson struggle to kick, Strauss can't stay fit, leaving us with Clisby that looked Ok but was loose. There is not much difference between those guys and Nev, Nev can kick, Nev is hard can tackle, has a good mark for his size, the only issue he has is endurance not a good runner. He is good for pick 50 of a rookie draft.

Ridiculous decision. The guy has shown nothing in five years and now we give him more chances.

goes back to that same old argument - talent vs development. I have no idea whether a lot of the boys we have picked had any talent to start with. I do believe we have been very poor in developing as even our success stories have reached a good level but never any higher.

Therefore I am going to give a clean slate approach to Nev and see what he can do in one year.

I have not seen anything yet to give me great hopes except a fierce approach to the contest - maybe the development boys can teach him to find the ball more.

That is an absolute nonsense...I am really happy for Nev as this season just as he was starting to show quite a lot, he was rubbed out by the MRP and then left at Casey which would not have done his confidence much good at all. He has never been given a great run and his delisting coupled with this lifeline may be just what he needs to apply himself. I think he will probably prosper under Roos.

We are light on for small defenders, Terlich/Nicholson struggle to kick, Strauss can't stay fit, leaving us with Clisby that looked Ok but was loose. There is not much difference between those guys and Nev, Nev can kick, Nev is hard can tackle, has a good mark for his size, the only issue he has is endurance not a good runner. He is good for pick 50 of a rookie draft.

I think if he has a chance its as a small forward next year.

Small backs: Terlich, Grimes, Clisby, Strauss, ....Nicho

Small forwards: Byrnes.......... (barry/JKH both not ready)

Edited by Young Dee

Hahahaha hilarious post!

Honestly, who the hell do you think we could have taken at that pick that would be better?

Even if Jetta is only good as a role model, helping the kids integrate, keeping the VFL side a little bit stronger by having a mature body in there, and hopefully letting the kids experience winning a little bit more... he'll be worth more than the scraps we could have brought in.

Apart from his lack of speed, strength, size, power and his lesser skill set, he's a gun.

No one is saying he is a gun but he is an option down back. His best footy was down back last year and at the moment that small defender spot is up for grabs. His skill set is OK as mentioned above his biggest issue is his endurance, when he gets the footy he uses it well he hasn't been able to run for longer enough periods

Hahahaha hilarious post!

Honestly, who the hell do you think we could have taken at that pick that would be better?

Even if Jetta is only good as a role model, helping the kids integrate, keeping the VFL side a little bit stronger by having a mature body in there, and hopefully letting the kids experience winning a little bit more... he'll be worth more than the scraps we could have brought in.

Jetta is a guy who can fill a bunch of needs in a pinch. He'll have increasing value the better the team is. There are certainly players on the full list who Neville deserves to get games over. Seems a low-risk move that the club decided to carry through some time ago.

No one is saying he is a gun but he is an option down back. His best footy was down back last year and at the moment that small defender spot is up for grabs. His skill set is OK as mentioned above his biggest issue is his endurance, when he gets the footy he uses it well he hasn't been able to run for longer enough periods

The number 39 on my game day jumper thanks all of the above, I was going to post but all three cover it perfectly

The only thing I could add was Nev always gives 100% whether it be in MFC or Scorpions jumper

Edited by Satyriconhome

post-7179-0-40236900-1385515326_thumb.jp

All smiles here.

Good news. Keeping him as a rookie fits exactly right.

We have recruited a lot of mid-fielders - experienced with bigger bodies

We have also brought in a handful of younger draftees.

Our other rookies are a mixed bag. Nev Jetta completes this mixed bag that means we have options for all positions over the ground. Some might not be 100% options but are options none-the-less. Nev has been in the system and has the one thing Roos seems to prize above everything else - grunt/hunger for the contest. Likely to spend most of his time at Casey but you never know.

Waste of time. His only chance is as a small defender, but despite a terrific preseason last year he was found wanting. His dispoal and decision making under pressure isn't good enough and he has no other weapon as a player. He has a crack, which everyone respects.

That said, my care factor is relatively small.

Edited by Ben-Hur

That is an absolute nonsense...I am really happy for Nev as this season just as he was starting to show quite a lot, he was rubbed out by the MRP and then left at Casey which would not have done his confidence much good at all. He has never been given a great run and his delisting coupled with this lifeline may be just what he needs to apply himself. I think he will probably prosper under Roos.

I agree. Wouldn't be the first time a guy was de-listed, rookied and then gone on to finally make something of his career. I'm very please for him, and also really hope he can prosper under Roos & Co. Clearly they can see something in him. Otherwise, wouldn't have given him this life line.

Do you seriously think that a proven coach and developer of player like Mr Roos would re engage Neville if he felt he was a lost cause?

Roos obviously sees something that Neville hasn't produced, and that his previous coaches have been unable to get out.

It will be an interesting excercise but I look forward to seeing how the season develops for Nev.

I have held Roos in the highest regard since 2004. I think this is a flat-out error of judgement. You can't make a leather purse out a a sow's hearse, as I say...now.

But if anyone can do it, Roos can. I just thought it made more sense to work his magic on someone raw with some guts and speed for example.

This may be the only time I'd ever be able to say to PR, "I told you so".