Name your rookie prospect

DeeSpencer

Yeah Barrass is a defender, Gibson is a defender. That is where the comparison mostly ends. Barrass plays mainly a man-on-man game, Gibson zones. Gibson's finishing move is the constructive spoil. Barrass takes contested marks. Gibson is a factor in the counter-attack/rebound game. Barrass has a long way to go in this regard. Barrass is also roughly 6cm taller, so they are completely different size/shape profiles. Its like comparing Nathan Brown to Nick Maxwell. It's just not right. I'll bow to you if you can find anyone with some clout comparing the two. Barrass is going to be a very big defender (195cm/95kg) down the track.

It will be a tragedy if Edwards isn't on a list, especially when he has spent much of the season cleaning up some of the mess Barrass' rawness creates. He's a terrific talent and has played senior footy.

Page and McKay are longshots, but in their different ways deserve it. Page has a 3rd in Sturt's B+F (ahead of Aiden Riley, who is just a good old-fashioned unconditional footballer, who outplayed Kerridge in the Sturt games I watched this year) as a lockdown defender at 19yo and has a management deal so he is closer than you think. I tried to get clubs and management companies to take a chance on him last year on the back of an outstanding SANFL under 18 game but they all basically said he didn't do enough and wasn't on radars and some hadn't heard of him and he played a couple of Sturt reserves games. He didn't even nominate. A year later he has played for SA under 23, has a senior B+F placing, a management deal and is nominating. He is probably too small to make it (173cm), but the kid can play.

McKay has been unlucky but in a weak year could get a shot for a club looking for hard-edged young mid. I suggested him as he could have added some depth, but Riley and Cross' pickups have mitigated against that.

I really don't know if you are taking the [censored], but I didn't shoot you down. Just the fact is Pongracic isn't well liked by most AFL clubs (it does only take one suitor, though) because he is vanilla and doesn't have enough tricks. Barrass is quite a fair bit different a player to Gibson. You're shooting me down, insinuating I'm blind et cetera, yet cannot fashion a reason why the players I suggested have no hope of finding themselves on an AFL list.

Guy Page and Shane Edwards are small defenders, don't win the footy enough and dont have enough runs on the board as yet. Both are prospects but I cant see them getting drafted or rookied. If I am wrong, that's life but this my opinion. Yes we all have an opinion. Mckay has not priven his durability. Good state league stock like Brayden O'Hara. Probably seen as not quite up to it.

If Barrass is overlooked in the draft, we would be wise to give him a shot. Smart, skilled, he knows when to spoil and when to back himself.

Guy Page and Shane Edwards are small defenders, don't win the footy enough and dont have enough runs on the board as yet. Both are prospects but I cant see them getting drafted or rookied. If I am wrong, that's life but this my opinion. Yes we all have an opinion. Mckay has not priven his durability. Good state league stock like Brayden O'Hara. Probably seen as not quite up to it.

If Barrass is overlooked in the draft, we would be wise to give him a shot. Smart, skilled, he knows when to spoil and when to back himself.

Not sure what runs on the board means in the context of 18 and 19 year olds, especially in relation to players that have played senior state level footy, you're supposed to draft players before they have runs on the board and they put those runs on the board for your club. Barrass is more an example of this than the three players you have potted and clearly have no idea about. Barrass Has actually played very little football of any substance, mostly school footy and some reasonably under 18 and reserve footy. He is promising and will be on a list in some way shape or form. What O'Hara, who has been playing SANFL footy for half a decade has to do with McKay, Page or Edwards I have no idea.

Not sure what runs on the board means in the context of 18 and 19 year olds, especially in relation to players that have played senior state level footy, you're supposed to draft players before they have runs on the board and they put those runs on the board for your club. Barrass is more an example of this than the three players you have potted and clearly have no idea about. Barrass Has actually played very little football of any substance, mostly school footy and some reasonably under 18 and reserve footy. He is promising and will be on a list in some way shape or form. What O'Hara, who has been playing SANFL footy for half a decade has to do with McKay, Page or Edwards I have no idea.

your words ... "I have no idea". Time will tell. Lets see what happens and make our judgement. The point to simplify for you is that the SANFL, Vfl & WAFL are full of league players like Brayden O'Hara (Myles Sewell, Freddie Clutterbuck etc etc) that are solid footballers but not up to AFL.

In an ideal world:

Pick 2: Sam Bennett (VIC Def)

Height: 189cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 22/01/1995

Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: Rookie - undrafted

Profile: Bennett is a strong mark overhead taking it at highest point, can win some 1v1s. Nice long kick. Hes relatively quick and a good running defender with good endurance. He also loves sneaking forward for a goal.

Pick 20: Jake Best (VIC Fwd/Mid)

Height: 182cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 20/10/89

Recruited from: Casey Scorpions (VFL)

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: Rookie -

Profile: Best is a mature ager who has changed his focus from cricket to footy. Hes a strong marking medium forward/midfielder with good pace who can take it on the lead and in the air.

Pick 38: Ben Mabon (VIC Ruck)

Height: 200cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 14/06/92

Recruited from: North Melbourne Kangaroos

Style:

Player comparison:

Profile: From North Melbourne, Ben Mabon is an athletic, running ruckman. With excellent work ethic and technique at stoppages, Mabon is always improving and frequently impressing at VFL level with the Roosters.

Pick 56: Khan Haretuku (VIC KPF/KPD)

Height: 198cm, Weight: 98kg, DOB: 19/10/89

Recruited from: Frankston Dolphins (VFL)

Style:

Player comparison:

Profile: ONCE on St Kildas rookie list, Haretuku has since made it his own pledge to prove his former club wrong. His former coach Ross Lyon sat him down in his office and told him that he was not good enough for AFL level. It hurt him deeply but soon got back on the track at the Dolphins and has added new strings to his bow under coach Simon Goosey. Not only does he play deep in attack, he has found confidence around centre half forward and further up the ground. Haretuku has the makings of an AFL career and Goosey knows it. He has spruiked his talent to most clubs and knows that one club will get him during the rookie draft.

This is some who missed out: (a bakers dozen)

James Battersby mid SA

Luke Reynolds HFF tall SA

Eli Templeton wing TAS

Nick Bourke HBF GEEL

Isaih Miller HBF NTH BALL

Alex Spina Mid/HFF SA

Darcy Hourigan HFF tall SA

Alex Spencer KPB SAND'Ham

Dwayne Wilson FP SA

Nathan Drummond HBF MURRAY

James Tsitas Mid/ HBF Geel

Ben Sokol HBF WA

Isaac Conway mid QLD

For me, Templeton, Battersby, Miller and Bourke would be suitable #2 rookie draftees.

Matt Sully from VFL Cats also must be a big chance in our rookie consideration. We will need Chb/FB cover.

Tsitas far too slow and can only kick about 30m.

I like him other than that, but those limitations are killers.

Battersby is a bit small, but I like him.

Not a fan of Hourigan for some reason.

Just seems a tweener to me.

Not big enough to be the KPF he needs to be at AFL level.

Not athletic enough to be a medium fwd.

Skills aren't amazing & looks like he has high skinfolds.

Templeton could be another Cross-type.

Hard worker, unspectacular but gets the job done.

#2 Matt Sully VFL Cats... we need another key backman

#20 Chris Cain VFL Port Melbourne... mature mid, skilled

$38 Nick Bourke TAC Geel Falcons... rebounding HBF, good skilled left foot and tough

#56 Scott Jones Swan Dists WA ... Developing ruck

just my opinion

Edited by spirit of norm smith

Darcy Hourigan - Good size nice left foot and would trim down in professional environment, could be future defender/swing man

Eli Templeton - looks raw but a bit to work with, disposal is not to bad and a bit to work with as future mid

Tom Shanahan - seen plenty of him all year and like the constant improvement, nice hands and knows how to play the percentages

Darcy Cameron - Raw young ruck from Claremont plenty of potential and really good ruckman for their colts side but needs 2 years at Casey and will know where he is at by that stage. Worth a punt as a rookie

Eli Templeton, i was suprised he didn't get picked in the ND i thought Essendon would have been on him with their first pick.

I thought we would go with Templeton for pick 57 when watching the live draft. His pace was a question mark but given we have some question marks over our guts I thought we would have a look at him just in case our recent acquisitions run into injury problems or do not develop at the level required.

Surely Eli gets a look as a rookie somewhere.

I think Mitch Harvey could be worth a look as a rookie prospect. He is going to take a while to develop, but we have some young tall timber developing so a 3 year rookie spot to see what he is like could be a good rookie listing.

Darcy Hourigan might be worth a look also.

Darcy Hourigan - Good size nice left foot and would trim down in professional environment, could be future defender/swing man

Eli Templeton - looks raw but a bit to work with, disposal is not to bad and a bit to work with as future mid

Tom Shanahan - seen plenty of him all year and like the constant improvement, nice hands and knows how to play the percentages

Darcy Cameron - Raw young ruck from Claremont plenty of potential and really good ruckman for their colts side but needs 2 years at Casey and will know where he is at by that stage. Worth a punt as a rookie

Let us hope that Hourigan & Co are still there at the Rookie Draft and we don't get gazumped again by the PRD as last year. Does anybody know if we are likely to delist anybody else to make room in the PSD? Also do we only get four rookies (as PSD has not factored in re-drafting Bennell)?