Round 1, 2014. Who do you want?

mrtwister

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would like a interstate team at the G.

Port would be good. We will get a chance to test our selves against a decent team, and all demons suppoters will show up to see how the dees play. Therefore getting a decent crowd for an interstate team.

Couple of updates I've heard on bigfooty that sound reliable.

Round 1 GWS v Sydney will now be a traditional fixture.

First round will be a split round.

No games can occur at any of the cricket venues due to earlier start with no NAB cup - MCG, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, SCG all ruled out

Richmond v Carlton will kick off round 2

Port v Adelaide round 2 at Adelaide oval

The Kangaroos are likely to get one of the Friday night matches to kick off the season either week 1 or week 2 expect it to be against a high drawing club - Collingwood, Essendon etc.

So out of the 9 games expect 5 or 6 to be at Etihad, one maybe at Geelong, one in Perth, one on the Gold Coast and GWS v Sydney.

Obviously Geelong would be a nightmare in a lot of ways. In other ways if we are going to have our customary thrashing may as well be at Geelong. If we compete and don't lose by much (Say under 8 goals) we might take a lot from it for round 2.

About the best we could do is Gold Coast up there (would be tough), Carlton, the doggies or St Kilda at Etihad. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the saints so at least one struggling side gets an early win on the board. I'd actually prefer either of those than us hosting a game at Etihad, that would be bad football wise and financially.

Expect round 2 for us to get an interstate team at the G - West Coast, Brisbane or GWS would be my tip.

• Like 1

Couple of updates I've heard on bigfooty that sound reliable.

Round 1 GWS v Sydney will now be a traditional fixture.

First round will be a split round.

No games can occur at any of the cricket venues due to earlier start with no NAB cup - MCG, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, SCG all ruled out

Richmond v Carlton will kick off round 2

Port v Adelaide round 2 at Adelaide oval

The Kangaroos are likely to get one of the Friday night matches to kick off the season either week 1 or week 2 expect it to be against a high drawing club - Collingwood, Essendon etc.

So out of the 9 games expect 5 or 6 to be at Etihad, one maybe at Geelong, one in Perth, one on the Gold Coast and GWS v Sydney.

Obviously Geelong would be a nightmare in a lot of ways. In other ways if we are going to have our customary thrashing may as well be at Geelong. If we compete and don't lose by much (Say under 8 goals) we might take a lot from it for round 2.

About the best we could do is Gold Coast up there (would be tough), Carlton, the doggies or St Kilda at Etihad. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the saints so at least one struggling side gets an early win on the board. I'd actually prefer either of those than us hosting a game at Etihad, that would be bad football wise and financially.

Expect round 2 for us to get an interstate team at the G - West Coast, Brisbane or GWS would be my tip.

Most of these have popped up in various articles in the last month or so.

Melbourne hasn't been the away team in Round 1 since 2008 (vs Hawthorn at the MCG); that's five consecutive years of being given Round 1 as a home game. We also haven't been interstate in Round 1 since 1998 (vs Fremantle at Patersons).

If the AFL is going to send teams interstate in Round 1 to compensate for the lack of the MCG, you'd have to think we're in line for a trip. We've had a great run, to be honest. With Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney all ruled out, maybe West Coast in Perth or Gold Coast on the Gold Coast are options? If we get to stay here, it'll be an Etihad match, most likely away and most likely against St Kilda or the Bulldogs.

Edit: Can't see the AFL scheduling us against any decent side in Round 1 - they want to maximise the chances for each team to get a win in Round 1 to build up excitement and suspense. Putting us against Geelong in Geelong is an automatic Round 1 dud, they don't want that.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 1

The season starts a week earlier in 2014 meaning Cricket still has the ground.

I heard on SEN on Friday.

They were talking about Carlton and Richmond having to wait your round 2.

that boring sport should never get preference of using the MCG over the footy

a joke if true

Should be interesting. By my calculations we should have 11-12 games at the G :(

So far in round 1 as reported in the papers and afl.com:

North Melbourne V Essendon - Eithad

Gold Coast V Richmond - Metricon

Geelong V Adelaide - Simmonds

Hawthorn V Brisbane - Tassie

Carlton V Port Adelaide - Etihad

GWS V Sydney - Skoda (possibility but not confirmed)

So that leaves us to possibly playing Bulldogs, St Kilda or Collingwood at Etihad or Freo/West Coast at Pattersons.

I think it will be Freo or Wce in Perth in round 2 with hopefully a home game at the G in round 2.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

So that leaves us to possibly playing Bulldogs, St Kilda or Collingwood at Etihad or Freo/West Coast at Pattersons.

I think it will be Freo or Wce in Perth in round 2 with hopefully a home game at the G in round 2.

Fremantle's first game will be in Perth, as they're playing Round 2 in Melbourne (against Hawthorn).

If they host West Coast, then the other two games should be Collingwood v Bulldogs and St Kilda v Melbourne.

If they host a Victorian side, I'd bet on it being Collingwood (they don't really want to send St Kilda, Melbourne or the Dogs to Fremantle in Round 1, do they?). If so, then you'd expect something like St Kilda v Melbourne and Bulldogs v West Coast, or something like that.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 1

Week 1

Friday:

North Melbourne vs Essendon - Etihad

Saturday:

Carlton vs Port Adelaide - Etihad

GWS vs Sydney

Sunday:

Fremantle vs Meth Coast - Subiaco

Week 2:

Friday:

Collingwood vs St Kilda/Adelaide - Etihad

Saturday:

Geelong vs Adelaide/St Kilda - Skilled or whatever it is

Gold Coast vs Richmond - Metricon

Sunday:

Hawthorn vs Brisbane - Launceston

Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne - Etihad

Every State gets a game in Round 1 except for South Australia who have requested a Showdown for the Opening of the Adelaide Oval wihich also falls under the Cricket Ground issue. If AFL are looking for exposure on Friday night I think they will go with North vs Essendon on the first week and either of Pies vs St Kilda or Adelaide, I have not seen the AFL.com article so not sure whether Cats vs Crows is set stone. The above draw provides a good spread of games in Victoria over the two weeks.

Week 1

Friday:

Saturday:

GWS vs Sydney

Sunday:

Week 2:

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

Every State gets a game in Round 1 except for South Australia who have requested a Showdown for the Opening of the Adelaide Oval wihich also falls under the Cricket Ground issue. If AFL are looking for exposure on Friday night I think they will go with North vs Essendon on the first week and either of Pies vs St Kilda or Adelaide, I have not seen the AFL.com article so not sure whether Cats vs Crows is set stone. The above draw provides a good spread of games in Victoria over the two weeks.

Well we do have a Cross to bear so may as well get it over with!

• Like 1

So now Collingwood are hosting W Bulldogs at Etihad according to Simon Garlick.

Sorry folks but it's looking like we're off to Freo in round 1 - the worst way to start the season.

Freo must host a game in round 1 as they play Hawthorn at the MCG in round 2. Therefore West Coast would be on the road in round 1 to play St Kilda (or maybe Melbourne) at Etihad

Given that we're locked in to host games Darwin in rounds 11 and 16, get used to less MCG action.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Week 1

Friday:

Saturday:

GWS vs Sydney

Sunday:

Week 2:

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

While I like your logic, I'm not sure the AFL and Channel 7 will want to open with an Essendon game if there's a risk that the Bombers will be without a swathe of players. Of course, the AFL might already know, but can't publicly say, that such an outcome won't happen.

Koo Wee Rup thirds, we could beat them...... maybe :)

Seriously don't care as long a we get a 'good' amount of home games against the Vic. If the G is unavailable round 1 due to stupid cricket rules I would rather be away interstate than here at docklands

don't know if we would beat koo wee rup thirds atm

they have a couple of big farmer type kids who aint scared of anybody

So now Collingwood are hosting W Bulldogs at Etihad according to Simon Garlick.

Sorry folks but it's looking like we're off to Freo in round 1 - the worst way to start the season.

Freo must host a game in round 1 as they play Hawthorn at the MCG in round 2. Therefore West Coast would be on the road in round 1 to play St Kilda (or maybe Melbourne) at Etihad

Given that we're locked in to host games Darwin in rounds 11 and 16, get used to less MCG action.

Why are you assuming West Coast is on the road in Round 1? The Derby could easily be Round 1, leaving Melbourne to play St Kilda.

I'd be quite surprised if they schedule one of St Kilda or Melbourne, two of the three worst sides of 2013, to play Fremantle in Perth in Round 1. That'd be a 10-goal thrashing for either side, not the way the AFL would want to get their years off to a start I don't thin.

Why are you assuming West Coast is on the road in Round 1? The Derby could easily be Round 1, leaving Melbourne to play St Kilda.

I'd be quite surprised if they schedule one of St Kilda or Melbourne, two of the three worst sides of 2013, to play Fremantle in Perth in Round 1. That'd be a 10-goal thrashing for either side, not the way the AFL would want to get their years off to a start I don't thin.

I also heard that on the Freo bigfooty forum that it's Freo V Melbourne at Subi in round 1. I know it's bigfooty but where there's smoke there's fire...

Plus if it's the Derby, I reckon it would've been leaked to the public by now.

I've resigned myself to Freo in round 1 which is a huge disapointment to start the Roos era.