The Successor

mitch

Look here is an idea. Could we just have Roosey coach for a three year contract and if he wants out we look at the next best coach available at that time? Radical idea I admit but after what we have endured can't we just do this coaching thing well and by the normal formula. Succession plans are great but do they always give the best outcome? I think the jury is still out on this one, after all you may have groomed an apprentice to take over in a year when Ross Lyon is available. Why are we in our poor position playing these games?

• Like 3

I think Ling was the one we wanted, but said he wanted more time in the media.

Maybe to come on this time next year.

We could only hope.

I think it could be a good strategy. Wait and see if there is improvement in the first 12 months under Roosy.

If there isn't then we are in deep shite.

If there is improvement then watch the assistant coaches come running.

Edited by Chippy
  • Like 1

I think Ling was the one we wanted, but said he wanted more time in the media.

Maybe to come on this time next year.

We could only hope.

Yer sounds good - someone just needs to tell him his face was made for radio not tv.

Jokes I love Lingy and would be stocked to have him on board - would be a loss for channel 7 as he is the only one in the studio with a pulse. But then again who wants to watch channel 7 anyway?

Edited by Young Dee

Ling has only taken on a part time role with the Kangas

Cameron Ling taking on a part-time leadership consultant role.

I think he is testing the water at someone else's expense.

He will then decide if the time is right for him to get involved in coaching.

when this succession plan was announced i said it was fraught with danger, and its panning out that way

How & why?

Dew was clearly the guy we wanted. I guess swans offered him similar deal to take over from longmuire and his partner didn't want to leave Sydney.

Next....

How do you know this?

I was actually of the understanding that Roos and Co were looking at getting 2 -3 assistants that he would work with during the season with ONE being selected as his successor

Not sure the media think otherwise unless i have my information incorrect

M

Mahoney did say that he was our preferred candidate recently.

Not sure of Mahoney's exact wording on that but it seemed strange that he said they were looking at 5 candidates yet people on here are saying that Dew rejects Demon offer.

From the Age "In-demand assistant coach Stuart Dew has turned his back on overtures from Melbourne to sign a new three-year deal with Sydney."

Nothing about an offer, rejects overtures. Maybe no offer at all, he may have been one of a few preferred candidates. I really don't know but over the last few days I was trying to justify why Dew would be a good choice then felt a bit flat when he signed with the Swans but realised that it was no big deal.

I think the club are being very cagey with this position, lets wait and see what happens. The worst thing is we get Roos for an extra year or two, hardly a disaster.

Is it possible the announcement has taken this long because we offered Dew the job and it started a bidding war with Sydney? Perhaps he asked for some time to weigh up his options, and we lost. Hope we have a plan B. Surely 3 years under Roos could be enough of an apprenticeship to train up a coach that is a recently retired player ( this year or last) that seems to have the potential to be great. There must be plenty that could fit the bill that haven't been in the public eye. Whatever the scenario, I have faith in those with the power.

So now that Dew is out of the picture can we move on to Bassett? The guy has a proven record of building and motivating teams and his Norwood side was strong in pretty much every area we are lacking. Based on what he did with them he'd be almost a perfect fit for us. It's insane that he isn't in it up to his eyeballs already.

• Like 1

I think we are finding out that hiring a coach for three years down the track AND get someone that stands out.

Eddie wanted Bucks. GWS targeted Cameron. Sydney chose Longmire internally.

And Swapfox - it wasn't the media who said we are to sign a successor now. It was Roos and Jackson in the opening press conference.

So we don't have a SA for a year. Roos doesn't need one and he can have some luxury of time for the decision.

• Like 2

Well no signs of Roos panicking. Jacko seems unperturbed!!

Probably means its just everyone else getting knickers in knots !!

Itll häppening when it does.

Hasnt everyone forgotten we DO actually have a coach. Hes not töö bad Ive heard :rolleyes:

Roos doesn't seem to all that popular. Candidates aren't rushing the doors for a spot under the master. Nathan Bassett anyone?

I don't think its Roos, I think Footy people aren't convinced this club can change itself & improve.

I reckon after another season where Roos coaches us to better performances & a more harmonious club, the footy world will see the difference & feel more able to invest themselves into our plans.

Lets grab say a Jude Bolton and see what transpires

thats not a silly idea

he would be a useful acquisition, even as a 1Yr playing rookie assistant.

when this succession plan was announced i said it was fraught with danger, and its panning out that way

I think its showing just how skeptical footy people view Us as a real AFL Championship concern as a club, Fear to come hear outweighs any excitement about our Finals opportunities.

its showing us all including messieurs Jackson & Roos just how much work needs to be done here. our culture is really on the nose to all.

I think its showing just how skeptical footy people view Us as a real AFL Championship concern as a club, Fear to come hear outweighs any excitement about our Finals opportunities.

its showing us all including messieurs Jackson & Roos just how much work needs to be done here. our culture is really on the nose to all.

I don't think it's showing us anything apart from the fact that people on here are impatient for action.

I also wouldn't think Jackson or Roos underestimate the work that needs to be done.

Let's see where we sit at the end of the trade/draft period, not at the start.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

If we can't get a successor this year (or don't think the best candidate is available just yet), the Ling appointment at North could be a blessing.

Gives him a part-time grounding for coaching, exposure to the job to develop a hunger in him, and he is a part-time leadership consultant, rather than a line coach, meaning the successor role is a clear unambiguous promotion, making him ripe for poaching next year regardless of the length of his contract.

I was told we had actually decided on a senior assistant but if that was Dew it's back to square one. I was sort of hoping that they had someone else in mind but 12 months won't kill us!