Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

James Worm

Zaharakis says he definitely was NOT injected, so he in my mind would avoid the label. He must by now be bloody disillusioned and surely would consider another club (dependent on contract status).

It's not been said anywhere that Zaharakis has been exonerated. There was a suggestion that he wasn't injected because he doesn't like needles but I understand that peptides can be ingested without injecting which is used because its quicker acting. So really, they all remain under suspicion of being drug cheats and won't be exonerated in the minds of the majority of the public until the case has been heard.

Anyone watch the lance Armstrong story on abc tonight?

Similar to essendon defence - attack the process, attack the accuser and dodge/deflect answering the real questions.

Eventually Armstrong exposed, you can't hide the truth forever.

• Like 1

Absolutely disgusting, I hope every single players takes the club to court, this could haunt them for the rest of their life and all for an extra 1%, Hird is a disgusting excuse for a human being if all this is true.

I just noticed this on the fox footy facebook page, all the bombers supporters somehow see this as a positive

totally ignoring the huge health risks for the players, the utterly dishonest and blatent cheating associated with it

the amazing lack of any sort of ethical consideration whatsoever

the fact that imo this is more than a killer blow for the bombers, I can't see any technicality saving them from this.

• Like 2

Anyone watch the lance Armstrong story on abc tonight?

Similar to essendon defence - attack the process, attack the accuser and dodge/deflect answering the real questions.

Eventually Armstrong exposed, you can't hide the truth forever.

Yes, and friends in the highest of places, 3 nearly 4 presidents, wow!

And in common with essendon, spin, very sophisticated spin

• Like 1

the players technically sign contracts with the AFL not the clubs, this system is in place to give ASADA huge powers in terms of making sure teams don't cheat using drugs, Essendon are absolutely cooked if they're suggesting they don't have the power to conduct a joint investigation with the relevant sporting body that he players in question are contracted under, if anything ASADA would be breaching their requirements if they weren't keeping the AFL informed.

I'm not too sure on the process beyond this but it seems that Asada are big favourites to come out of this court challenge on top now, not sure where that leaves Essendon but presumably the players won't be impressed if they don't already know about the potential medical ramifications of the drug program, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some of the players turn on the club and Hird find himself in a whole world of hurt.

The media war seems to have been stepped up by all sides over the past 24 hours. Some Essendon tragics a appear to have picked up on Dr. Peter Harcourt's comments about sending players' samples to a Cologne laboratory "but nothing came out of it". They claim this means there were no illegal drugs involved. What Harcourt didn't tell was about the timing of the tests which is all-important in detection. It often takes years before testing methods are sophisticated enough to locate some substances in the samples.

Others are claiming his comments are proof of an illegal joint investigation which is more rubbish.

An interesting item is the revelation that Dank is withdrawing an appeal to the AAT against the ADVRP Stephen Dank withdraws appeal against drugs panel with administrative appeals tribunal. The fact that he had lodged the appeal early last month would be news to many. We don't know why he's changed his mind. Is it because of the costs involved or was there a deal done with ASADA? I wonder if we'll ever find out?

The one I like the most is about Essendon players determined to protect their anonymity.

Strangely enough, before Mark Robinson of the Herald Sun announced the names of 14 current and former Essendon players supposedly involved in the scandal, neither the AFL, nor Essendon, nor the AFLPA, nor any player took any steps to protect reputations by preventing publication of the names.

Now, why do I think the reason might have something to do with the identity of the party that leaked the names to Robinson in the first place?

• Like 3

How can Hird and anyone else in the fotball department be still employed. If I did that to my staff I would be sacked immediately and me and my employer investigated and probably charged by workcover.

Its mind boggling that a businessman like Little has taken the stance he has. Even if (and its a big if) no banned substances were taken, the use of products not approved for human comsumption IMO is enough to sack the lot of them. And that includes that little rodent of a doctor who should hang his head in shame. I would rather be treated by a fish slapping stone worshipping faith healer than that hack.

• Like 1

And it will all ramp up to mega hot once infractions are issued.

Bummerland will go into meltdown..

Stay true ASADA !!! The force is with you

We want the trial :ASADA

""

In arguing what documents would be supplied, lawyer Daniel Starr, acting for ASADA, said he could not yet reveal what the anti-doping body's defence would be but he wanted to ''get to the real legal issues'' and banish the ''white noise'' around the issue since Essendon self-reported in February last year.

''There is a way to cut through this. We want the trial. The viability of it is tenuous,'' he said

""

• Like 2

And it will all ramp up to mega hot once infractions are issued.

Bummerland will go into meltdown..

Stay true ASADA !!! The force is with you

I agree. I think infractions issued to the players will result in a flurry of ASADA/AFL action against the FD aministration and the club. If costs are awarded against Hird and the club from this trial it will be in the millions. Based on Hird and Littles behaviour to date further legal action or appeals to the court of arbitration are likely that will cost more millions. I still think workcover will whack the club which will be significant fines. Long term the players will retain the option of law suites if they get crook or suffer adverse effects.

Not sure what the AFL will do but its hard to believe many in the Essendon hierachy will survive the impending purge. The AFL will have to try and ensure the club remains viable for the good of the competition but I am not convinced the even Essendon has the capacity to absorb the potential losses.

You might find the odd sponsor bails in the wake of infractions not so much in response to the Australian market because there is a relatively compassionate view at least in melbourne, but globally the clubs brand will be trashed and by associated so will brand of associated sponsors. I will bet that Adidas wont want to be associated to a club that has been found guilty of doping.

• Like 1

Im honestly surprised Essendon has even one sponsor left.

Im honestly surprised Essendon has even one sponsor left.

That's a good point, they have to be concerned about their association with the bombers, everyone there is now labelled as drug cheats, that's a hard tag to shake.

• Like 1

That's a good point, they have to be concerned about their association with the bombers, everyone there is now labelled as drug cheats, that's a hard tag to shake.

it is...and Im really and truly amazed they have anyone there still. Blind Freddy can see this wont end well

Id be asking of any sponsor if they were an option for purchase, "what the hell are you still there for ?"

it is...and Im really and truly amazed they have anyone there still. Blind Freddy can see this wont end well

Id be asking of any sponsor if they were an option for purchase, "what the hell are you still there for ?"

Surely there has to be a breach in their contracts because of this, I would imagine sponsors would be protecting themselves from this sort of thing as standard.

Until the Bombers are actually found guilty of something I imagine it would be a breach of the contact to pull out.

Also imagine the exposure the sponsors are getting at present.

Don't they say all publicity is good publicity!

• Like 1

I think the Armstrong thing will be the template for any action by the sponsors. I think they will want to be seen to be loyal because that is good for the brand but there will be a tipping point where they are comfortable to bail. My guess is it will be once the case against Essendon has been proven in the court of public opinion the trigger will be pressed.

Until the Bombers are actually found guilty of something I imagine it would be a breach of the contact to pull out.

Also imagine the exposure the sponsors are getting at present.

Don't they say all publicity is good publicity!

they say that but its not...is it ...just saying

They dont need to found guilty of anything in order to drag all and sundry through the mud.

Many get out clauses only go to "Bad behaviour" "Unconcionable or detractive actions " etc

I understand what your saying Old but companies normally like to be somewhat squeaky clean.. Wouldnt have thought Family Orientated Kia would be overly amused

Except that Toll Holdings = Paul Little

Until EFC are found guilty of something 'illegal' then sponsors can't cancel contracts but when contracts come up for renewal - different story. Even Toll Holdings would struggle to remain. Kia, Fujitsu, Hostplus et al will be gone as fast as!

Paul Little may have to tip in part of his personal $750m to keep the club he is destroying viable! Some nice karma, eh!