Jobe took banned drug

jnrmac

The players only hope is that AOD was not banned at the time they took it. If so they'll get off but Essendon the club will still be whacked by the AFL for having such a program running. I'd be thinking similar penalties to MFC's non-tanking penalties. $500K and Bomber Thompson and/or Danny Corcoran get the Chris Connolly.

If Essendon cannot establish that AOD was not banned at the time then player suspension is mandatory for all the reasons explained - otherwise everyone will be saying "i didn't know" - and the suggestion that it can be served in the off-season is laughable. As the master points out the players were definitely duped and some way of mitigating the penalty down to the minimum 6 months is desirable and warranted. But Jobe's Brownlow is toast. God help Essendon the club in this scenario - for starters without the majority of their player personnel for 2014, if it's decided before the end of the H&A 2013 I'd say stripped of match points this year and excluded from R1 of the 2014 draft (because they'll finish last or near it). Corcoran, Hird, Thompson, Reid all gone. Massive fine - maybe $2M and probably civil suits from the players.

I won't claim to know much about the law there are others on here that do.

How can you sue the EFC if you signed a waiver saying I know I am taking AOD?

I won't claim to know much about the law there are others on here that do.

How can you sue the EFC if you signed a waiver saying I know I am taking AOD?

I guess it depends if they waiver would hold up in a court. If the players were acting on good faith and felt like they were pressured or deceived it might be considered differently

My knowledge on thing legal is very limited as well btw.

I guess it depends if they waiver would hold up in a court. If the players were acting on good faith and felt like they were pressured or deceived it might be considered differently

My knowledge on thing legal is very limited as well btw.

Whatever way I look at this It comes up "dont know all the Details"

I still have this feeling the EFC is going to get off lightly.

They just seem too confident.

Edited by old dee

Whatever way I look at this It comes up "dont know all the Details"

I still have this feeling the EFC is going to get off lightly.

They just seem too confident.

they will try to defend the indefensible

don't even think about it OD

G O N E

Edited by jazza

Isn't the technicality they are trying to use is that it wasn't actually listed as banned at the time? But from what I've read there is also a statement from WADA that if it isn't on the approved list then it is also banned. Which would therefore mean that it is banned and is illegal to use. That's my take on it anyway but I guess we will know soon.

Isn't the technicality they are trying to use is that it wasn't actually listed as banned at the time? But from what I've read there is also a statement from WADA that if it isn't on the approved list then it is also banned. Which would therefore mean that it is banned and is illegal to use. That's my take on it anyway but I guess we will know soon.

Not sure about that!

Keep that Avatar going it is still miles better than anything I have seen in the last decade

It is banned

It comes under the banned code S0 which covers all new drugs not (yet) approved for human use (which is the case of AOD)

this was also the case at the time essendon injected it into their players

incidentally there were other substances (apart from vitamins) which were injected too

we have not heard much about them and if they pose any problems yet

it may well turn out that the players were duped, but under wada this doesn't exonerate them but may help to reduce any sentences

the government are looking at legislation to compel danks to testify. this would be interesting. without dank testifying the whole issue is incomplete

Yeah but if you argue it's not actually a drug or performance enhancing then it has no place on either list. I think that's what they are aiming at. I mean I doubt water or lemonade is listed on the approved list or banned so if you want to go inject it 3 times a week for some strange benefit then so be it.

Yeah but if you argue it's not actually a drug or performance enhancing then it has no place on either list. I think that's what they are aiming at. I mean I doubt water or lemonade is listed on the approved list or banned so if you want to go inject it 3 times a week for some strange benefit then so be it.

I don't think there is anything officially published as the "approved list" Can you provide any links?

I think it is just a virtual list consisting of any drugs not on the banned list (including code S0 drugs (not yet approved for human use))

So i don't think your water/lemonade argument has any wings

If Wade Lees copped an 18 month ban without even taking possession of anything then Essendon and their Football Department have to be screwed in a very big way. The AFL cannot go light on them even if they want to.

Illegal drugs in the sport will kill the whole game.

The game must be kept clean.

• Like 1

jazza I think you are over simplifying it.

It is not that simple

Jazzas correct , it is that simple, when they start using your body as a pin cushion the alarm bells should have activated, I suspect the players will get 2years each only because it was so heavily used, people that think nothing will happen have there head in the sand.

If Wade Lees copped an 18 month ban without even taking possession of anything then Essendon and their Football Department have to be screwed in a very big way. The AFL cannot go light on them even if they want to.

Illegal drugs in the sport will kill the whole game.

The game must be kept clean.

I think they view IMPORTING banned substances as a serious offense in its own right

ie worse than just buying from a chemist or other local source

having said that, he was harshly treated

It is banned

It comes under the banned code S0 which covers all new drugs not (yet) approved for human use (which is the case of AOD)

this was also the case at the time essendon injected it into their players

incidentally there were other substances (apart from vitamins) which were injected too

we have not heard much about them and if they pose any problems yet

it may well turn out that the players were duped, but under wada this doesn't exonerate them but may help to reduce any sentences

the government are looking at legislation to compel danks to testify. this would be interesting. without dank testifying the whole issue is incomplete

With one day of Parliament to go dc I doubt this will get up before Mr. Abbott returns as PM.

2014 looks the earliest that legislation will fly.

I seriously doubt we will hear from Mr Dank before the EFC decision is announced

Jazzas correct , it is that simple, when they start using your body as a pin cushion the alarm bells should have activated, I suspect the players will get 2years each only because it was so heavily used, people that think nothing will happen have there head in the sand.

You are missing the point of the discussion as it started.

I said in reference to Jazza saying the players took the drug they are to blame end of story.

My comment was that the situation was more complex than that and they were in a difficult situation at the time

Oh and buy the way I do not have my head in the sand.

I think they view IMPORTING banned substances as a serious offense in its own right

ie worse than just buying from a chemist or other local source

having said that, he was harshly treated

i think they view any level of association with banned substances very harshly, and so they should.

The Bummers are in a world of pain and it is still to get worse.

I wonder whether Dank will leave the country. He is a Wanted Man.

i think they view any level of association with banned substances very harshly, and so they should.

By who WYL? under current legislation he cannot be forced to appear anywhere.

He is best staying here and enjoying the protection he has at present.

By who WYL? under current legislation he cannot be forced to appear anywhere.

He is best staying here and enjoying the protection he has at present.

i am sure the Federal government would like to hear a testimony for starters considering how much money they have committed to the game (training facilities)

Dank & Bomba hold the Aces. Both have been very well treated by the media which suprises me.

We will end up with an extra 4 points from the Essendon game i think

Same with anyone else that has lost to them

I would be too embarrassed to take them after the pitiful effort we put in that day.

Essendon seconds would have beaten us that night

• Like 1

With one day of Parliament to go dc I doubt this will get up before Mr. Abbott returns as PM.

2014 looks the earliest that legislation will fly.

I seriously doubt we will hear from Mr Dank before the EFC decision is announced

probably true od and that will be a great pity. there is always two sides to any story

dank didn't hold gun to players heads

they had a chance to say NO

kyle riemers evidence will be the downfall

he was persecuted for saying NO

• Like 1

i am sure the Federal government would like to hear a testimony for starters considering how much money they have committed to the game (training facilities)

Dank & Bomba hold the Aces. Both have been very well treated by the media which suprises me.

But they have no power to force him wyl, he can thumb his nose at the them and everyone else as it stands.

He has threatened legal action that has shut up the media in the short term.

But they have no power to force him wyl, he can thumb his nose at the them and everyone else as it stands.

He has threatened legal action that has shut up the media in the short term.

they just got granted new powers to fine someone $5,100 per day if they are called in for an interviews and dont show

Dank will get called up soon