• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

An insider's POV - Comments from Russell Robertson

deanox

Moloney left Demons after 'snub' over captaincy

Moloney cracked the sads because he wasn't captain.

Sylvia will re-sign.

Rodan has had a bigger impact than we see on field.

Stef Martin was moved on for good reason.

Other senior players were old enough to be moved on.

Peter Jackson has given some truths to the club, there will be changes, but we will improve.

Great article and interview from ex player Russell Robertson, which touches on some issues we haven't heard about but have discussed ad nauseam. Maybe there is some method to all the madness even if there are some things that are not perfect?

• Like 12

As I will be lambasted for this, I'm actually a supporter of Neeld. one massive mistake he made though and I've said this a few times is why why why did he appoint Grimes/Trengove as captains when he and everyone else know we would be in the furnace for the next 2-3yrs (now possibly longer). I'm not saying those guys aren't good leaders or will be but I agree, why wasn't Moloney or Nathan Jones made captain up front and Grimes or Trengove could've played a dual role with them.

Question? Would Moloney have stayed if Jones had been made skipper?

• Like 5

Good to hear some re-infrocement from a past player who I think puts a lot of effort into the club. I am happy to see where Peter Jackson decides this club needs to go and what decisions he makes. I'm interested to find out if he thinks Neeld is a coach on the right track and endorses him will we be happy to follow his decision? Or will everyone be angry about it?

As I will be lambasted for this, I'm actually a supporter of Neeld. one massive mistake he made though and I've said this a few times is why why why did he appoint Grimes/Trengove as captains when he and everyone else know we would be in the furnace for the next 2-3yrs (now possibly longer). I'm not saying those guys aren't good leaders or will be but I agree, why wasn't Moloney or Nathan Jones made captain up front and Grimes or Trengove could've played a dual role with them.

Question? Would Moloney have stayed if Jones had been made skipper?

I have the answer to your question, received it at a Club function straight from Neeld and Craig, haven't bothered posting anything on the function, because the anti-Neeld/anti MFC everything brigade will only hijack the thread and turn it into a bashing again

• Like 2

The article fills me with some hope for the future.

Seems very clear to me that certain players were only going to ever be destructive to the growth of our young talent.

Interesting direct insight on last years recruiting too.

Rodan's recruitment was explained clearly, and we are crucifying the new recruits only 9 games in when we haven't had a real chance to see what they are made of yet.

Pedersen seems to be finding form as a solid backman, Terlich and M Jones have shown they are capable at this level. Byrnes was recruited for the same reasons as Rodan IMO. Gillies....well you can't win them all.

Add to that the man mountain Hogan coming in next year (see here - Photo gallery: Thursday training) and Sylvia staying (hopefully) with the chance of a couple of free agents or homesick GC or GWS players coming on board and there is potential for a quick(ish) turnaround.

• Like 1

I have the answer to your question, received it at a Club function straight from Neeld and Craig, haven't bothered posting anything on the function, because the anti-Neeld/anti MFC everything brigade will only hijack the thread and turn it into a bashing again

Can you fill us in? I'm no basher I like open dsicussion without prejudice

• Like 2

Robinson would really know about dropping his head, a cheap shot at a B&F winner, if this is his new role at the MFC he should go back to singing for his supper.

• Like 2

I have the answer, but I'm not telling you. I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW DOO DAAAAA.

Spare us, please.

• Like 13

Robinson would really know about dropping his head, a cheap shot at a B&F winner, if this is his new role at the MFC he should go back to singing for his supper.

Cheap shot? That's a little hypocritical. Where were you when Moloney was on afl360? Nowhere to be seen...

That you think Brent Moloney deserves any form of defence or protection is exactly what's wrong with Melbourne supporters culture right now. He left, he didn't want to play for the club. He wanted to play for Brent Moloney. Good riddance to him and if you wish to keep sulking about the past, good riddance to you also, sir.

• Like 17

Robbo might be a little bit of a "look at me" kind of bloke at times, but he is not a planner and schemer who shapes his words and comments to make people conclude matters in a certain way. He is a laid back, genuine kind of bloke who every so often gets fed up and just speaks it as he sees it.

He is right about Sylvia.

Both he and Moloney are right about Moloney's departure.

Stef Martin was let go because his athletic ability is undermined by a total lack of football brain.

• Like 4

I'm not sure what Satyriconhome is referring to buy I have heard people from the club say publicly that when the players voted for captains, Grimes and Trengove were the two they chose.

They players wanted to follow these guys, not the others.

• Like 4

Moloney sulking he wasn't made captain - what a clown, he isn't a leaders bootlace.

Sylvia staying with the MFC - lets hope Robbo is 100% right.

PJ coming in and telling everyone home truths and beginning to get business in order - music to all our ears.

• Like 6

I'm not sure what Satyriconhome is referring to buy I have heard people from the club say publicly that when the players voted for captains, Grimes and Trengove were the two they chose.

Yep.

Also worth noting that Jones wasn't near the footballer he is today when that decision was made.

• Like 3

Robbo is also one of the senior players who was pushed out by the previous administration and was possibly disenfranchised with the club, but regardless he has more understanding than what we do.

Regarding Moloney, I loved the guy and I wanted him to stay, but anyone who wants to say "if I'm not captain, I'm going to crack the sads" instead of saying, "I love this place I want to work with everyone to make it better" should leave because we will go no where fast with those attitudes and that culture of selfishness.

• Like 5

Me thinks MN needs an apology from all the people who used Moloney as an example of how the players dislike him and why Moloney left.

I know I'm barking up the wrong tree, particularly on DL, but MN has copped a bit on flack here about Moloney...

• Like 5

Moloney sulking he wasn't made captain - what a clown, he isn't a leaders bootlace.

Sylvia staying with the MFC - lets hope Robbo is 100% right.

PJ coming in and telling everyone home truths and beginning to get business in order - music to all our ears.

I really hope we follow through on PJs recommendations, no matter what they are. We really need an outsider to help straighten us out.

I feel good about this appointment.

I have the answer, but I'm not telling you. I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW DOO DAAAAA.

Spare us, please.

The whole reason this board is falling to bits is comments like the above, but never mind, so here goes

I went to a forum last night organised by the Club, in attendance were Mark Neeld, Neil Craig and Nathan Jones, they were asked questions by Robbo and then audience members were able to ask questions as well

One of the questions (persistently) was about the leadership

Mark Neeld said there was a listing of 10 behaviours, and every member of the Footy Dept rated all 44 players, Trengove and Grimes came out on top and you can assume the rest of the leadership group were below them, the point was made this exercise was done twice and the gap between Trengove and Grimes and the rest narroved over time, think it was first up at pre season and post Darwin.

There were lots of other questions as well, covering quite a few subjects.

Spare us, please.

That should be na-na-na-NA-nah-na

Reason for edit: left off a final 'na'

Edited by CHAMP
  • Like 1

Was it that, or was it that they all passed as no-one wanted to drink from the "poisoned chalice"? ;-)

So from what you heard form Neeld and Craig that night what do you think of him as a coach?

I have always rated both Neeld and Craig as I have spoken to both of them on a number of occasions.

One of the points both made last night was they were originally given a mandate by the Club (assume this was Board and CEO) and this mandate has not changed, and they are sticking to that mandate. Neeld stressed strongly ie he repeated he was told "culture, culture, culture" and this is what they are attempting to implement, neither are overjoyed where we are at the moment they both regard themselves because of the inexperience of the list as 'development coaches', a point Nathan Jones agreed with.

My lovely lady has become increasingly frustrated watching the games and the players 'supposedly' giving up, so she made a point of asking Mark Neeld directly after the talk for his take on why this is happening, he made the point that no matter how the players are coached, if they go into their 'shell' in a game, he only has the breaks to try and rectify, and after the first quarter against Fremantle there wasn't much he could do, so he and Craig used half time to try and show the players that if they went back to the structures and game plan they had started the game with it would work and the players responded and we won the 3rd quarter....it is 'convincing' (his word not mine coz I can't remember exactly what he said) to stick fast with the structures

He made a point of telling me he was disappointed with Mark Jamar against Fremantle and he had told him so, he expected a guy of his experience to lead the team from the funk they get in and not just get 1 possession in a game against two young ruckmen.

He also made a point that if the ladder was based on pure football 'talent' it would be GWS 1st and Gold Coast 2nd, but because of GWS' inexperience it isn't, and we are the second most inexperienced so this is what you get

• Like 2