Foundation Heroes

I am.

I want this club to succeed, and I have absolutely no regrets about donating any money to it.

Right now - I want us to turn things around in a way that ensures we keep every single required player, Todd Viney, Dave Misson, Webjet, Opel and 35,000 paid up members in 2014 and beyond.

• Like 7

rpfc we have been picking Demons from our own tree for a long time.

We need some outside perspective and leadership.

Not the whole board, but definately some.

We are where we are...

Kennett has also overseen a club that acheived the ultimate.....However, as much as he might be an outspoken leader (some Hawthorn supporters might say too outspoken) ...isn't he Hawthorn through and through? And he has said some pretty negative things towards us over the years. That would be a complete 360 to jump in and role his sleaves up for us don't you think? We might also need to purchase some extra gaffer tape once in a while!

Kennett has also overseen a club that acheived the ultimate.....However, as much as he might be an outspoken leader (some Hawthorn supporters might say too outspoken) ...isn't he Hawthorn through and through? And he has said some pretty negative things towards us over the years. That would be a complete 360 to jump in and role his sleaves up for us don't you think? We might also need to purchase some extra gaffer tape once in a while!

Many people have said nasty things about the MFC since 2007, a lot of them considering where we are wer probably right.

If the MFC are to survive and get strong we have to suck it up and learn.

I am not saying Kennet is the man, but after watching his last performance on Footy Classified before the season started that is the type of person we need to lead this club out of this very delicate situation.

Many people have said nasty things about the MFC since 2007, a lot of them considering where we are wer probably right.

If the MFC are to survive and get strong we have to suck it up and learn.

I am not saying Kennet is the man, but after watching his last performance on Footy Classified before the season started that is the type of person we need to lead this club out of this very delicate situation.

There aren't too many who would actually be capable of righting this ship leading from the top, but i must admit i have had similar thoughts about this bloke being a good helmsman for us WYL. At least he represents and gets out there and spruiks unlike our "invisible one".

Not sure if he'd be willing though given his Hawthorn aliegiance is all i'm saying. Can you imagine the Collins Street set allowing a Kennett coup overseeing them at the top? Crikey, he'd also have to change his Yellow and Poo tweed jacket for our amazing blazer!

• Like 1

the board should have to pay out Schwabs contract, that was a disgraceful decision to give him 3yrs when under investigation, they have no respect for us supporters, who throws around 3 yr deals when your looking down a barrel , I tell you who , D Mclardy.

they should pay out Pedos 3 year contract too

There aren't too many who would actually be capable of righting this ship leading from the top, but i must admit i have had similar thoughts about this bloke being a good helmsman for us WYL. At least he represents and gets out there and spruiks unlike our "invisible one".

Not sure if he'd be willing though given his Hawthorn aliegiance is all i'm saying. Can you imagine the Collins Street set allowing a Kennett coup overseeing them at the top? Crikey, he'd also have to change his Yellow and Poo tweed jacket for our amazing blazer!

Barassi went to Carlton.

Since then it is all possible. A 6 year Kennett term would set the MFC up for the long term hopefully.

He would get people to the club.

Getting back to the subject or is it too late for that?

Like most I became a FH because the club needed help, unfortunately they may need it again. This club is really good at one thing and that's stuffing up every thing they do. Don McL has disappointed me I really thought he would do a better job than he has, he and the board seem to have blundered from one disaster to another.

But being the sucker I am I'll be there again.

• Like 9

As most know I was worried about this Board, the CEO and the coach quite some time ago. Having said that I didn't think it was this bad. For these reasons and the fact that I didn't see it as a sustainable business model I didn't become a Foundation Hero but I have supported the club for over 25 years and I hate to think of the amount I've put in over that period.

The Foundation Heros are a group of generous MFC supporters who eliminated the club's debt, their contribution was significant and the single achievement of the Stynes/McLardy Board. They have been remembered at AAMI Stadium (as I understand it) and were promised success and professional management of the club and their contributions would be the cornerstone of a new era.

But reports in the press that we are again unprofitable and heading into significant seven figure debt must be distressing to them. Much of the loss is being attributed to AFL fines, legal fees and payouts of contracts of CEO and potentially the coach and others. All of these expenses were avoidable with sound and sensible management which they comprehensively failed to deliver.

I know that there are a number of Foundation Heros who read and post here and I'm interested in their reaction to our situation and whether they would again help the Club out of this position. For my part I'll continue to contribute in the way I do because the Club is much greater than a bunch of misfit administrators and because what I do is within my sustainable business model. But this administration should know that my ongoing support is despite and not because of their effort. Frankly I'm angry and appalled at how they've trashed my contribution.

How do our Foundation Heros feel?

hello, I think I can smell the foundations of an election speech coming on..

... now let me preface this dear comrades, by saying I'm not a foundation Hero, but give me your Vote,,, & I promise No taxes, & I'll get you the world on a silver platter... just as son as we have the 1964 cup flattened be a steam roller.

bare with me whilst I find my ticket.

I would be become a Foundation member if they club could show me they have finally established a strong business model going forward and wont need to rely om handouts from the AFL or generous supporters.

Getting in Peter Jackson was the first positive step.

Second step is to get the structure right in the FD, which PJ has already identified and started to fix.

The third step will be to land a big name coach.

Once the third step is completed, I will become a monetary donor (on top of my membership.)

Last time i looked Jackson was an Essendon man.

But you just keep abusing people Rhino its what you do well.

If we do not get fresh perspectives inside this club it WILL die.

Board members and employees are different. The board members are volunteer elected positions from amongst the members. The president needs to be a Melbourne man.

The board can hire whoever they want to run the place based on expertise. We already did that though: Neeld, misson, Craig, rawlings, Taylor, all other assistance except royal (who is actually a doggies man originally?).

I agree that Schwab was probably party off a bird club which caused problems in the way things were administered however he has proven in his actions this year that he is more of a Melbourne man that many on this forum. His actions and words despite his sacking (which was probably justified although purely handled) have been gracious and shown the man to have the club as his first priority. The disgusting personal attacks and that's to abandon all support of the club unless a particular action is taken, made on this forum on the other hand, are indicative of selfish behaviour where personal gratification appears to be more important that the long term survival of the club. Despite the owner of such comments usually claiming to have the club's beast interests at heart, a "my way is the only way" approach, combined with the derogatory personal attacks, will only serve to fracture the club in ways that are not sustainable.

Is action needed? Yes. But we need to support together, not marginalize sooner people who are great Melbourne people and are willing to give off themselves to see the club survives. Just because they haven't been successful doesn't mean they don't care or haven't tried their best.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 3

Last time i looked Jackson was an Essendon man.

But you just keep abusing people Rhino its what you do well.

If we do not get fresh perspectives inside this club it WILL die.

Jackson was installed by the AFL. I am all for fresh perspectives just not from someone who would be conflicted in the role.

I am not surprised you can't think through the obvious.

No one condemns you more than your own site contributions.

Congratulations to the FH members who have pledged to the Club in the past. While we all have deserved better from the Board and administration of this club, you guys have an additional element of feeling letting down.

Well done to those and others that will continue to dig deep for the Club.

• Like 8

Am a Foundation Hero and will continue to give. Wish our recruiting had been better along with team development. It can be turned around; I can't walk off now.

Exactly what I was trying to say, I have donated both time and money to the Club, yes there have been mistakes and we have paid for them, like Eddie McGuire is now, but what is most of the 'cancer' that some posters so dramatically put?

We are not performing on the field, personally I am not surprised, Neeld was given a mandate to start from the bottom again, yes it's painful and he may not see it out, but that is reality, it is going to take time butconsidering as I said before even after the disastrous start to the season we have only shed about 2500 members and we still have major sponsors on board, so it is not all doom and gloom

Do yourself a favour and check out St Kilda's membership for the last couple of years including this one

If we had put up another Richmond like showing against Fremantle, half the topics on this board wouldn't be running, besides which most of the topics, apart from this one, which is a good question, are started by a small minority of posters with some particular axe to grind

Exactly what I was trying to say, I have donated both time and money to the Club, yes there have been mistakes and we have paid for them, like Eddie McGuire is now, but what is most of the 'cancer' that some posters so dramatically put?

We are not performing on the field, personally I am not surprised, Neeld was given a mandate to start from the bottom again, yes it's painful and he may not see it out, but that is reality, it is going to take time butconsidering as I said before even after the disastrous start to the season we have only shed about 2500 members and we still have major sponsors on board, so it is not all doom and gloom

Do yourself a favour and check out St Kilda's membership for the last couple of years including this one

If we had put up another Richmond like showing against Fremantle, half the topics on this board wouldn't be running, besides which most of the topics, apart from this one, which is a good question, are started by a small minority of posters with some particular axe to grind

You were happy with the Richmond effort were you?

Time to lift your expectations like the whole club.

• Like 2

WYL what would have satisfied you during the Richmond game?

I don't think anyone thought that it was the result they wanted nor was it an acceptable example of what we are aiming at but it was certainly a large step in the right direction, and for a team devoid of confidence there were promising signs.

Was I happy with the Richmond game? In terms of this season to date, yes. And I'll be happy to see similar effort and result the next two weeks.

Edited by deanox

No nobody is saying that they are happy with how the team is performing at the moment, but understand there are a lot of reasons why, this topic was to gauge the feelings of the Foundation Heroes and others who put time and money into the Club, most of the feedback has been positive....you excepted of course..........so therefore most can understand why.

My expectations have been lowered since the first game, because I didn't expect the mental baggage that has afflicted the team for the last year or two to still be there to such an extent, I assume Neeld didn't either, but obviously it is, but slowly this will be chipped away.

I also don't believe, like some, that Paul Roos or Choco are miracle workers, and that if they took the team over there would be a change in the results and we would win every game from now on

One of the points I was trying to make, is St Kilda have dropped 8000 members in a year, nothing to do with the 'poor administration' it is because for a number of reasons they are not performing on the field , unforunately there is a percentage of AFL supporters who only want to watch a side winning most games and making finals, and only get on board when that happens

As for Kennet, one of the reasons Schwab was sacked was 'he polarised', there is nothing more I need to say

• Like 1

WYL what would have satisfied you during the Richmond game?

I don't think anyone thought that it was the result they wanted nor was it an acceptable example of what we are aiming at but it was certainly a large step in the right direction, and for a team devoid of confidence there were promising signs.

Was I happy with the Richmond game? In terms of this season to date, yes. And I'll be happy to see similar effort and result the next two weeks.

Deanox Richmond wasted so many opportunities up forward. It had nothing to do with how well we played.

The effort that day was better than most games this season, but it still was not near good enough.

It just shows how bad the last few years have really been.

Mark Neeld's assessments are that of a man getting desperate to hold his job. I do not blame him for that, he is just not ready to coach this sick girl.

We are just that far behind the comp.

As most know I was worried about this Board, the CEO and the coach quite some time ago. Having said that I didn't think it was this bad. For these reasons and the fact that I didn't see it as a sustainable business model I didn't become a Foundation Hero but I have supported the club for over 25 years and I hate to think of the amount I've put in over that period.

The Foundation Heros are a group of generous MFC supporters who eliminated the club's debt, their contribution was significant and the single achievement of the Stynes/McLardy Board. They have been remembered at AAMI Stadium (as I understand it) and were promised success and professional management of the club and their contributions would be the cornerstone of a new era.

But reports in the press that we are again unprofitable and heading into significant seven figure debt must be distressing to them. Much of the loss is being attributed to AFL fines, legal fees and payouts of contracts of CEO and potentially the coach and others. All of these expenses were avoidable with sound and sensible management which they comprehensively failed to deliver.

I know that there are a number of Foundation Heros who read and post here and I'm interested in their reaction to our situation and whether they would again help the Club out of this position. For my part I'll continue to contribute in the way I do because the Club is much greater than a bunch of misfit administrators and because what I do is within my sustainable business model. But this administration should know that my ongoing support is despite and not because of their effort. Frankly I'm angry and appalled at how they've trashed my contribution.

How do our Foundation Heros feel?

I am a Foundation Hero and remain proud of my contribution and would, if called upon, contribute again.

The basic premise of the OP is flawed and underlines why the club is in such desperate straits at the present time.

There is little doubt that the Stynes/McLardy boards must bear a measure of responsibility for the mess but it is wrong to suggest they promised us a rose garden, nor did they ever give undertakings about the success of the football team or the ongoing financial viability of the fiscal and on field train wreck they took over in 2008.

At that time the Board went to its supporters and appealed to business people, professionals and rank and file supporters for funding to help get us in the black so that we could compete with the stronger clubs in terms of facilities and amenities available for the football department to sustain improvement and betterment in that fundamental core area of its functions.

Those to who the club appealed are well aware that even the application of the most sophisticated and elaborate business models does not necessarily guarantee success and this is particularly the case with sporting models where success on the field can be so elusive and dependent on a diverse range of factors.

Further, it's a complete and utter fallacy to claim that the elimination of debt was the "the single achievement of the Stynes/McLardy Board".

That Board also established better and closer relations with the MCC and AFL, strengthened our relationship with the Casey which is a long term venture aimed at expanding our supporter base. What they have failed to do so far is bring success on the field and in fact, we have gone backwards in this area in the past two - three years.

However, I don't believe for one second that our current plight is due alone to any one factor be it the current board, Cameron Schwab, Garry Lyon, Mark Neeld or, for that matter, the playing group and some of the suggestions I've read here are disingenuous to say the least.

The cancer at the club began long before Stynes took over in 2008 although reading this and many other threads you would hardly know it. Some of the worst "culprits" in causing the situation were brought into the club by previous boards. Neale Daniher was kept on as coach for far too long. Bailey was a poor choice as coach. The records of Craig Cameron and Barry Prendergast as recruiters speak for themselves.

Cameron Schwab did not get sacked because he was "no good or because of tanking". He took the fall because the team's performance in the opening rounds of the season was abysmal and, as the CEO, he had to accept responsibility.

The team we now have is the result of a decade of second and third rate coaching, recruiting, list management and player development and financial decay. You heard it this week from Cale Morton how he was amazed at how much harder and how more intense the Eagles train compared to us. That comment reflects not only on the current coach but on previous coaches Daniher and Bailey who set poor standards during their tenures.

Then there are the negative and destructive elements around the club who had the current board in their sights from day one. I have no problem with critics (but prefer them to be constructive). The termites were boring away at the Stynes board and everything it did from the start and undermining its foundations (note that word). When times get tough, people at most clubs close ranks. Countries at war have national unity governments.

But when our club was under fire during the tanking investigation, we had a former president at the forefront condemning us for tanking, we had disgruntled former employees coming forward and giving their jaundiced versions of what happened. Mark Neeld was undermined in the same way in his first weeks. So called supporters went to the media with stories calculated to undermine the club, falsely describing Cameron Schwab as looking "ashen faced", others telling convoluted tales about what the coach's moves during games like the Swans game at Manuka so that they could be blown out of all proportion. Others just praised Caroline Wilson urging her to keep up the good job when what she was doing was sniping at and undermining our club.

I find that reprehensible. When Caroline Wilson bags Brayshaw the whole of the North community gets behind him. The Carlton people close ranks around their club when Libba called the club for tanking and even Libba himself was forced to recant under pressure. We have supporters who like to open the wound and let it fester but are nowhere to be seen at an AGM where they can get the message across to the membership and the board.

Ultimately, if we want to see the club succeed, we are all responsible and therefore, if we're able to give then I consider it a duty to do so and I'm not concerned about those on board, particularly with the changes that will undeniably come following the recent interventions.

As one great philosopher said, "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."

Too much of what's going on around the club and too much talk among the supporters is all about negativity and looking backwards. We need to take on board the mistakes of the past and then look forward and act together to rebuild our foundations. That's what being a Foundation Hero means to me.

• Like 28

No nobody is saying that they are happy with how the team is performing at the moment, but understand there are a lot of reasons why, this topic was to gauge the feelings of the Foundation Heroes and others who put time and money into the Club, most of the feedback has been positive....you excepted of course..........so therefore most can understand why.

My expectations have been lowered since the first game, because I didn't expect the mental baggage that has afflicted the team for the last year or two to still be there to such an extent, I assume Neeld didn't either, but obviously it is, but slowly this will be chipped away.

I also don't believe, like some, that Paul Roos or Choco are miracle workers, and that if they took the team over there would be a change in the results and we would win every game from now on

One of the points I was trying to make, is St Kilda have dropped 8000 members in a year, nothing to do with the 'poor administration' it is because for a number of reasons they are not performing on the field , unforunately there is a percentage of AFL supporters who only want to watch a side winning most games and making finals, and only get on board when that happens

As for Kennet, one of the reasons Schwab was sacked was 'he polarised', there is nothing more I need to say

St. Kilda signed a deal to play home games at a privately owned Etihad Stadium.

They only have themselves to blame.

They signed not long after Essendon.

St. Kilda signed a deal to play home games at a privately owned Etihad Stadium.

They only have themselves to blame.

They signed not long after Essendon.

Again your lack of comprehension bemuses me, it has nothing to do with Etihad, they were playing there 3 or 4 years ago and were making finals and had 40000 members, they seem to be on the slide, so this season have 32000, my point

I have just read WJ's contribution, I think we can close this topic now coz it says it all.

• Like 2

I am a Foundation Hero and remain proud of my contribution and would, if called upon, contribute again.

The basic premise of the OP is flawed and underlines why the club is in such desperate straits at the present time.

There is little doubt that the Stynes/McLardy boards must bear a measure of responsibility for the mess but it is wrong to suggest they promised us a rose garden, nor did they ever give undertakings about the success of the football team or the ongoing financial viability of the fiscal and on field train wreck they took over in 2008.

At that time the Board went to its supporters and appealed to business people, professionals and rank and file supporters for funding to help get us in the black so that we could compete with the stronger clubs in terms of facilities and amenities available for the football department to sustain improvement and betterment in that fundamental core area of its functions.

Those to who the club appealed are well aware that even the application of the most sophisticated and elaborate business models does not necessarily guarantee success and this is particularly the case with sporting models where success on the field can be so elusive and dependent on a diverse range of factors.

Further, it's a complete and utter fallacy to claim that the elimination of debt was the "the single achievement of the Stynes/McLardy Board".

That Board also established better and closer relations with the MCC and AFL, strengthened our relationship with the Casey which is a long term venture aimed at expanding our supporter base. What they have failed to do so far is bring success on the field and in fact, we have gone backwards in this area in the past two - three years.

However, I don't believe for one second that our current plight is due alone to any one factor be it the current board, Cameron Schwab, Garry Lyon, Mark Neeld or, for that matter, the playing group and some of the suggestions I've read here are disingenuous to say the least.

The cancer at the club began long before Stynes took over in 2008 although reading this and many other threads you would hardly know it. Some of the worst "culprits" in causing the situation were brought into the club by previous boards. Neale Daniher was kept on as coach for far too long. Bailey was a poor choice as coach. The records of Craig Cameron and Barry Prendergast as recruiters speak for themselves.

Cameron Schwab did not get sacked because he was "no good or because of tanking". He took the fall because the team's performance in the opening rounds of the season was abysmal and, as the CEO, he had to accept responsibility.

The team we now have is the result of a decade of second and third rate coaching, recruiting, list management and player development and financial decay. You heard it this week from Cale Morton how he was amazed at how much harder and how more intense the Eagles train compared to us. That comment reflects not only on the current coach but on previous coaches Daniher and Bailey who set poor standards during their tenures.

Then there are the negative and destructive elements around the club who had the current board in their sights from day one. I have no problem with critics (but prefer them to be constructive). The termites were boring away at the Stynes board and everything it did from the start and undermining its foundations (note that word). When times get tough, people at most clubs close ranks. Countries at war have national unity governments.

But when our club was under fire during the tanking investigation, we had a former president at the forefront condemning us for tanking, we had disgruntled former employees coming forward and giving their jaundiced versions of what happened. Mark Neeld was undermined in the same way in his first weeks. So called supporters went to the media with stories calculated to undermine the club, falsely describing Cameron Schwab as looking "ashen faced", others telling convoluted tales about what the coach's moves during games like the Swans game at Manuka so that they could be blown out of all proportion. Others just praised Caroline Wilson urging her to keep up the good job when what she was doing was sniping at and undermining our club.

I find that reprehensible. When Caroline Wilson bags Brayshaw the whole of the North community gets behind him. The Carlton people close ranks around their club when Libba called the club for tanking and even Libba himself was forced to recant under pressure. We have supporters who like to open the wound and let it fester but are nowhere to be seen at an AGM where they can get the message across to the membership and the board.

Ultimately, if we want to see the club succeed, we are all responsible and therefore, if we're able to give then I consider it a duty to do so and I'm not concerned about those on board, particularly with the changes that will undeniably come following the recent interventions.

As one great philosopher said, "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."

Too much of what's going on around the club and too much talk among the supporters is all about negativity and looking backwards. We need to take on board the mistakes of the past and then look forward and act together to rebuild our foundations. That's what being a Foundation Hero means to me.

WJ, may I humbly request you send this to the Club and put it on Twitter, or can I have your permission to

• Like 2

Again your lack of comprehension bemuses me, it has nothing to do with Etihad, they were playing there 3 or 4 years ago and were making finals and had 40000 members, they seem to be on the slide, so this season have 32000, my point

I have just read WJ's contribution, I think we can close this topic now coz it says it all.

My point is St. Kilda has treated it's members very poorly since moving to Etihad. My brother is a coterie member. Even when they were pulling good crowds 40,000 + they were still paying out often.

Their members have had enough.

We the MFC still have a chance if we can attract the right business people.

Not a problem Satyriconhome but I did a count and there seems to be more than 140 characters in the text.

Thanks WJ, I think it warrants and deserves it, it is a beautifully written summary of the last few years at our magnificent club

There is a long twitter by the way

I have put WJ's piece on Twitter under my handle @Demonpk

Here is the link on TwitLonger

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rki66q

Can you RT or send it to a journalist if you know their handles, I sent it to Rohan Connolly, one of the less strident

Edited by Satyriconhome