Training - Thursday 23rd May, 2013

No I am actually discriminatory, I only launch 'personal attacks' on the small minority of less well informed posters on this board, who do nothing but denigrate the Club and everyone connected with it, I can provide you with a list, although I thought you along with a few others on the list were not going to read my posts again, obviously wrong, can't stick to anything then?

This is a topic on training, I was making a contribution, so were you, I was trying to be constructive, you were just whining, simple really.

Nice doing business with you, await your next correspondence with barely contained excitement

Okay mate, so what do you think the club should be doing (training-wise included) to improve and start winning games?

Okay mate, so what do you think the club should be doing (training-wise included) to improve and start winning games?

Get someone who can coach and take training will be a start :)

• Like 1

Also got down to training, about where our correspondent was leaving, or just before.

With the Casey players on the rugby field, the team practiced kick outs and clearing from deep in defence. Moved the ball well, end to end with out the opposition touching the ball except when Nicho hit one of them in the chest. That said, the opposition was 2 or 3 of the coaches, so there was no pressure at all.

They did various other drills, things we have done before. I noticed Neeld is definitely doing things differently, having probably been to over 10 sessions this year, and found him to be more involved and addressing groups more than I have seen in probably the rest of the sessions combined

Basically as far as I can see the team has two issues at the moment

Inexperience at AFL level

And mental baggage for some players, left over from the last two or three years, the ability to overcome this comes through maturity, but dealing with guys who are in late teens or early twenties exacerbates the issue

As far as actual training, from what I have seen and heard from last couple of weeks, we have been working solely on the contested work, which is good, as we need to make sure we get our hands on the ball in the first place, or get the other team to turn it over

If we do that I can see that the next step at the moment is to get it into the good ball users hands, we saw this last weekend with Davey and Terlich.

I believe away from the glare of publicity and open training sessions, all players are working overtime on their disposal skills, Garland being one who is showing improvement, again a lot of this is mental, if you stuff it up once, you are prone to do it again, hence Dunn's run of horrible kick ins, yet he was one of the better more conistent disposers previously

As mentioned by Neeld, Davey, who we all agree is on his day an elite disposer by foot, is playing his role in developing the team's foot skills

We also need to spread better, again I have seen drills at training that are focused on this particular area.

We will get it right eventually, I am like everybody else would prefer it now rather than later, but because I do go to training, talk to the coaches and players, listen to commentators/pundits who actually know what they are talking about, discuss with other footy followers whose opinion I value, I am willing to be a bit more patient than some on this board

Yes we lost the Richmond game, but some of the signs were good, not great, but they were there

Now I want to see a repeat if not a betterment against Fremantle

I just get a bit bored with the naysays such as Old Dee and his "the Club is doomed call", we have brought in a highly experienced CEO in Peter Jackson, I want to see what he has got to say in four or five months before forming any opinions myself

• Like 7

I'm not in the "Terlich is a good ball user" camp. At least, not yet. Hopefully he'll become better but right now he tries to do too much (a bit like N Jones in his early years) and as a consequence too often disposes poorly because he's under pressure. But there is definitely something to work with there. At least he knows how to get the ball.

hey Saty

Thanks for that A considered and reasonable piece.

Nice to see the comment on Davey - adding value beyond game time and your reflection on mental impacts especially on young players.

Hope they are getting the right positive message through training etc coz you dont get it from Neeld public comments

As you said I would like faster improvement but after a lifetime of following the Dees just improvement will do at the moment.

I'm not in the "Terlich is a good ball user" camp. At least, not yet. Hopefully he'll become better but right now he tries to do too much (a bit like N Jones in his early years) and as a consequence too often disposes poorly because he's under pressure. But there is definitely something to work with there. At least he knows how to get the ball.

I disagree. I think when he's not under pressure he's a nice balanced kick which is something we need. Yes he makes the odd mistake under pressure but that's because he's taken the game on as instructed by the coaches and often his mistakes get recovered (often by him).

If you look at Geelong and Collingwood they move the ball at a fast speed and often make mistakes. Corey Enright does some crazy things when he gets himself into pressure but is so good he can get himself out of it or his team mates clean it up.

If you trained Terlich in a Hawthorn manner of more methodical play from the backline I think you'd find he'd rarely make a mistake, but instead he's going for a flat out approach and making the odd error. He's also would have to be top 5 for possession for us this year I would think.

hey Saty

Thanks for that A considered and reasonable piece.

Nice to see the comment on Davey - adding value beyond game time and your reflection on mental impacts especially on young players.

Hope they are getting the right positive message through training etc coz you dont get it from Neeld public comments

As you said I would like faster improvement but after a lifetime of following the Dees just improvement will do at the moment.

Thanks bloke, some of the posters on here have no idea who are they are dealing with sometimes and they run off at the mouth expecting nothing but a torrent of agreement.

Er no, you are probably in the same boat as me, been either playing or watching footy for close to 40 years, so do know a bit about footy and life

About Neeld, think he is still learning about communication, evolving shall we say, I know at the moment he can barely contain his contempt for some journos in his pressers, there are obvious reasons for that. Think he is stuck at the moment and trying to do sound bites to please everybody, in public, behind closed doors I think it is an entirely different picture, have spoken to a few players and they love the fact they know exactly where they stand within the Club and the 'honest feedback'.

I disagree. I think when he's not under pressure he's a nice balanced kick which is something we need. Yes he makes the odd mistake under pressure but that's because he's taken the game on as instructed by the coaches and often his mistakes get recovered (often by him).

If you look at Geelong and Collingwood they move the ball at a fast speed and often make mistakes. Corey Enright does some crazy things when he gets himself into pressure but is so good he can get himself out of it or his team mates clean it up.

If you trained Terlich in a Hawthorn manner of more methodical play from the backline I think you'd find he'd rarely make a mistake, but instead he's going for a flat out approach and making the odd error. He's also would have to be top 5 for possession for us this year I would think.

Totally agree with you sir, nice to see the topic back on track, if you ask the players they are told "take the game on, if you make a mistake, try and fix it, if you can't, forget it, get to the next contest"

Also got down to training, about where our correspondent was leaving, or just before.

With the Casey players on the rugby field, the team practiced kick outs and clearing from deep in defence. Moved the ball well, end to end with out the opposition touching the ball except when Nicho hit one of them in the chest. That said, the opposition was 2 or 3 of the coaches, so there was no pressure at all.

They did various other drills, things we have done before. I noticed Neeld is definitely doing things differently, having probably been to over 10 sessions this year, and found him to be more involved and addressing groups more than I have seen in probably the rest of the sessions combined

Some much happiness in that post thanks RG! 1. That Nicholson is in the Casey group means we likely won't see him this week. 2. I've been waiting for even asked the club twitter for Neeld to get involved in training more. I thought there was a degree of mixed messages sent by Craig and the assistants largely running training sessions and then you get to game day and Neeld is addressing the players. I'm all for delegation but he's the boss and I think he'll get more respect from the players by being out there

• Like 1

Totally agree with you sir, nice to see the topic back on track, if you ask the players they are told "take the game on, if you make a mistake, try and fix it, if you can't, forget it, get to the next contest"

This was highlighted to me when I watched the Essendon game and we were trailing about 100-20 and the errors were Essendon 20, Melbourne 10 or something like that and I thought holy hell when we get the ball we aren't even trying anything to get something productive happening. Obviously the initial problem was barely being able to get our hands on it but the point remains.

I think you're dead right mate, Terlich has no issue with skills from what i have seen, he makes the odd bad decision but i think that's more to do with having one or two bad options ahead of him and nothing else.

Basically as far as I can see the team has two issues at the moment

Inexperience at AFL level

And mental baggage for some players, left over from the last two or three years, the ability to overcome this comes through maturity, but dealing with guys who are in late teens or early twenties exacerbates the issue

As far as actual training, from what I have seen and heard from last couple of weeks, we have been working solely on the contested work, which is good, as we need to make sure we get our hands on the ball in the first place, or get the other team to turn it over

If we do that I can see that the next step at the moment is to get it into the good ball users hands, we saw this last weekend with Davey and Terlich.

I believe away from the glare of publicity and open training sessions, all players are working overtime on their disposal skills, Garland being one who is showing improvement, again a lot of this is mental, if you stuff it up once, you are prone to do it again, hence Dunn's run of horrible kick ins, yet he was one of the better more conistent disposers previously

As mentioned by Neeld, Davey, who we all agree is on his day an elite disposer by foot, is playing his role in developing the team's foot skills

We also need to spread better, again I have seen drills at training that are focused on this particular area.

We will get it right eventually, I am like everybody else would prefer it now rather than later, but because I do go to training, talk to the coaches and players, listen to commentators/pundits who actually know what they are talking about, discuss with other footy followers whose opinion I value, I am willing to be a bit more patient than some on this board

Yes we lost the Richmond game, but some of the signs were good, not great, but they were there

Now I want to see a repeat if not a betterment against Fremantle

I just get a bit bored with the naysays such as Old Dee and his "the Club is doomed call", we have brought in a highly experienced CEO in Peter Jackson, I want to see what he has got to say in four or five months before forming any opinions myself

Good post there mate, I like the optimism and it is refreshing to hear. You make some good points but I fear that it could take more than maturity to shed the mental baggage of the last couple of years.

Some much happiness in that post thanks RG! 1. That Nicholson is in the Casey group means we likely won't see him this week. 2. I've been waiting for even asked the club twitter for Neeld to get involved in training more. I thought there was a degree of mixed messages sent by Craig and the assistants largely running training sessions and then you get to game day and Neeld is addressing the players. I'm all for delegation but he's the boss and I think he'll get more respect from the players by being out there

Sorry to disappoint, Nicho with main group.

Wasn't clear in my post sorry, it was main group doing end to end stuff while Casey group on rugby oval

I have always wanted to make up cheeky graphic of how demonland views demon players. Along the line of this

Draft day - super star

First game - the next big thing

A little while later - dud why we pick him we should of picked.....

50-100 game mark - Great player going to be our future

A little while later - plodder, needs to delist/trade/retire

At the end of his days - list clogger, too slow, too old

Years after retirement/left demons- Champion/we always loved him/never should of let him go

LOL r'nr

You forgot either under Draft day or First game: "he will be an absolute gun".

People are silly if they think Nicholson will be dropped against freo. Even with Walters out, they still have a lot of good smalls

Edited by Demonof1994

People are silly if they think Nicholson will be dropped against freo. Even with Walters out, they still have a lot of good smalls

Lets hope he has a lot of hand balls