Casey's form..what can we take from it?

P-man

I don't like starting the thread on this note but I feel it's necessary given recent trends. Can this please be a discussion and not descend into sniping, potshots and bickering. I have no alterior motive here other than to seek the views of my fellow D'landers.

As a Dees fan it's hard not to take notice of the winning, indeed undefeated form of our VFL affiliate. Having just beaten the in-form Williamstown by 23 points, the Scorps are flying.

It's hard not to take alot of heart when reading match reports about Demons players along the lines of the following:

Tom Couch: Tom played a negating role on one of Williamstown's prime midfielders and was still able to win 28 disposals. He also led the side in contested possessions and tackles.

Troy Davis: Troy continues to play some quality football as a key defender. He competed well against Ayce Cordy of Williamstown and had nine strong spoils and generated four rebound 50s.

Chris Dawes: A successful return to football for Chris, he played out his required game time and clearly demonstrated that he has overcome his hamstring injury. He also contributed with two important goals.

Lynden Dunn: Lynden played a near perfect game. His 35 disposals, 11 marks and two goals were from half-back. His efficiency by foot was a standout in very difficult windy conditions. More importantly, he pulled up really well.

Jack Fitzpatrick: Jack played another very competitive game. He had a real impact up forward. His leading, second efforts and finish for goal (4.2) was very good.

Jesse Hogan: Jesse sustained a cork to his leg when taking a strong contested mark during the first quarter. This impacted on his movement and we decided not to risk him (early in the second quarter).

Dean Kent: Dean had 11 disposals and kicked the goal of the night. His four bounces into the strong wind and his finish for goal were excellent. He continues to work very hard in games.

James Magner: Jimmy had 32 disposals, seven hard ball gets and six tackles. He again led the team around the stoppages and continually worked the ball out of congestion. His form has been very good.

Jake Spencer: Jake played another very good game. He had 15 disposals and 42 hit outs against an experienced former AFL ruckman. He has made significant improvement in his contested aerial work and continues to work hard defensively.

James Strauss: James is playing with confidence and genuine speed. He is looking as quick as he has been since returning to football last season. His offensive work (15 disposals) from half-back, as well as his ability to play tight defence, has been a positive.

Rory Taggert: Rory had 15 possessions, five marks and kicked two goals. He is working much harder in games and playing more consistent footy as a result – some of his contested possessions were very good.

This is not an unfamiliar tale so far this season.

To what can we attribute this form and what can be taken from it, if anything, acknowledging the obvious drop in standard to the VFL? (I believe it was Kent who commented that he was "disappointed" with the overall standard of the VFL as he expected it to be alot higher)

Is it a case of having excellent VFL standard players and average AFL standard?

Is it about the change of environment?

Is it the Hogan factor?

How can we transfer some of this winning mentality to the big league?

Cheers all.

The whole idea of Casey is to develop the younger players and not rush them and bring back senior players without rushing them straight back in underdone to the AFL (mistakes we have made in the past)

Been to watch 3 Casey games now, listened to talks during the breaks, watched the MFC development coaches during the breaks etc etc, you here the same mantras we hear from Neeld

The style of play (which is great to watch) is the style the AFL side is trying to implement, of course against much higher standard teams, but it is attainable, and it is getting ingrained into the younger guys already

Neeld in his presser this morning said he is going to reward a couple of the 'younger' players for good form at Casey, which is really good as well, not sure who it will be, as I thought Viney and Toumpas would be back in this week

Also I think Rohan Welsh was an inspired choice as Coach

• Like 1

The style of play (which is great to watch) is the style the AFL side is trying to implement, of course against much higher standard teams, but it is attainable, and it is getting ingrained into the younger guys already

This is what gives me heart... they have been putting in great performances against strong VFL teams (well, I think they have been strong... yes? no?) using the game plan designed for the AFL side. Perhaps a few more of the senior side could do with some time at Casey in order to learn the plan in an environment where they can build their confidence?

As for Sunday, according to the following article in Real Footy, we are giving some young forwards a run and that Dawes is not ready as he has not yet had a full game at Casey (that will happen this week). Hopefully this means Fitz and Taggert (and possibly Dunn or Kent?) will get a run.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/neeld-hopes-to-surprise-blues-with-young-forwards-20130502-2iuk9.html

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

This is what gives me heart... they have been putting in great performances against strong VFL teams (well, I think they have been strong... yes? no?) using the game plan designed for the AFL side. Perhaps a few more of the senior side could do with some time at Casey in order to learn the plan in an environment where they can build their confidence?

As for Sunday, according to the following article in Real Footy, we are giving some young forwards a run and that Dawes is not ready as he has not yet had a full game at Casey (that will happen this week). Hopefully this means Fitz and Taggert (and possibly Dunn or Kent?) will get a run.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/neeld-hopes-to-surprise-blues-with-young-forwards-20130502-2iuk9.html

I can see ~3 changes with Kent or Taggert, Fitzpatrick or Sellar, and Dunn are all posibilities at the expense of Rodan, Pederson & Watts (inj)

Here's what I'd take from it

Guys coming back from injury too good for VFL - Dawes, Dunn

Gun youngster ineligble for AFL - Hogan

Very promising young players developing their games - Kent, Taggert, Toumpas

Mid level player trying to prove himself - Strauss

Dominant at VFL but probably not AFL level - Spencer

Young talls establishing themselves - Fitzy, Davis

Dominant at VFL but ineligible for AFL midfielder - Couch, Magner

Plus the actual Casey guys are better than average VFL players.

But mainly we've got talent on all the lines, very good structural players in Hogan/Fitzpatrick/Dawes but more than anything a dominant midfield formed by Spencer/Magner/Couch and supplemented with others.

Moral of the story is we've got something to come through and guys who are learning to be successful and play a good style of footy.

Here's the flip side though. Spencer, Magner and Couch form the bones of this team and I'm not convinced they are good AFL players. So our youngsters are supported by playing in a side which will get first hands to the ball and win the midfield battle. I'd be over the moon if the Casey midfield was Gawn/Fitzpatrick with Toumpas, Taggert and Kent. However we've got Gawn/Viney/Trengove in the AFL learning already to be parts of our midfield comibination. So we just need these peripheral guys to learn how to play Neeld's brand of footy and an AFL brand of footy.

• Like 4

I don't think you can take much out of Casey's form. They did finish on the top of the ladder last year.

What we can take though is the development of players such as Hogan, Kent and Taggert. These guys are the future of the club and hopefully they get a run in the senior team soon (Hogan next year of course). It gives us something to watch.

Fitzy is a mystery man, if they give him a run I hope it is for a few games not just up and back again. Let's see what he can do, he could do no worse than Pederson at the moment.

I also hope the club lets our players play in finals at Casey this year if they make it. Let them start to build a winning culture together and it will carry through in future seasons.

Our best performance this year in my opinion was the game in Renmark and the team comprised a lot of these guys. We were hard at the ball, tackled better than I had seen a MFC side in memory and worked for each other.

• Like 1

Fitzpatrick has had Chronic Fatigue, then diagnosed with diabetes, shoulder operation, then concussion, back for 2 games and has kicked 7, they just want games into him and consistency of effort, could be anything (I asked)

Spencer, still developing, only missing being able to be a threat in goal square when resting forward, they have him working on it (again I asked)

Much more enjoyment than going o the AFL. I will be watching them again this week.

And the best part is it is against Port, sit behind the two lovely Port supporters who look like somebody's Granny and Maiden Aunt, but swear and abuse the opposition and the umpires for two hours like two drunken sailors.....highly enteraining, I recommend it.......

I can see ~3 changes with Kent or Taggert, Fitzpatrick or Sellar, and Dunn are all posibilities at the expense of Rodan, Pederson & Watts (inj)

Taggert is a long way from AFL, has only played a handful of VFL games. I would say Kent is well ahead.

As for Casey their form should be great for developing they young players. Players like Toumpas (outside mid) can actually play as an outside mid and not be starved of opportunities (also Hogan gets opportunitues up forward). Also provides a good culture for them to grow up in.

Edited by Young Dee

And the best part is it is against Port, sit behind the two lovely Port supporters who look like somebody's Granny and Maiden Aunt, but swear and abuse the opposition and the umpires for two hours like two drunken sailors.....highly enteraining, I recommend it.......

Actually prefer to watch our younger guys in these circumstances than listen to the MFC being slagged off every week for inept quality football! It's all relative buddy.