An idea so crazy it might work - Tebow time

DeeSpencer

Followers of the NFL, devout Christians or fans of novelty celebrations are bound to know who Tim Tebow is.

If you don't it goes like this (briefly)

- College football star quarterback - 2 National titles

- Christian +++ (probably not a huge fan of Demons)

- Virgin (maybe)

- Dodgy throwing action and in general makes poor throws but still wins

- Media follows every move he makes

- Drafted by Broncos, crowd cheers for him to start games, replaces B grade QB, somehow wins games whilst barely throwing (ie. like a football winning without getting a kick) ends up leading them to an unlikely playoff victory until former QB and list manager (AFL terms) John Elway makes a deal for Peyton Manning (MVP, Superbowls, gun) and ships Tebow off to the jets

- Jets suck, they are like the Melbourne of the NFL, coach is pretty mental (like a confident Mark Neeld), GM (CE0) gets the sack, their former promising QB Sanchez is now horrible (like a Jamar) and they even want to trade their best player. Yet poor old Tebow still can barely get given a game on the field

- After most of the free agency deals etc are being done the Jets still haven't cut Tebow despite reports they don't want him and no other NFL team is interested because they don't want the disruption to their QB. The pressure placed on your starting QB with the fans and media continually asking about the number 2 is an awful distraction.

Now here's where AFL comes in. This guy wants to be a starting NFL QB but just maybe he'd take the chance to be an AFL star. Now the money is a big hurdle because if he strikes it rich in the NFL as a QB he's getting 15+ million per year. But as a lowly backup without a team he's heading for more like 1 mil a year non guaranteed. Now GWS and GC both got players signed for them by the AFL on promotional deals. I think after this weekend we will prove to be just as bad as they are. The AFL would hate to give us another priority pick, it would look disastrous. And they can't justify just giving us more money. But if they could spend up on a promotional signing for us then it could help. If they offered him 1.5 million plus per year and organised some deals with Australian Companies wanting to make it in the US they would get every dollar they spent and more back in media exposure. That's where it helps us. Our sponsors names would be everywhere with massive US exposure. Not to mention his first game is bound to have massive coverage and a draw a crowd.

Now of course its all got potential to be a disaster. Tebow is 25 and 191cm 107kg is too heavy for AFL currently and wouldn't have the fitness. But he's a damn hard worker and is tough as old boots. He runs like a running back and isn't afraid to take a hit.

Now I'm usually a fan of just keeping it simple. Keep making smart choices with recruitment of players and staff and things will turn around. But as this season goes on I'm getting concerned we are so far behind the other clubs we need something a little crazy. So crazy it might just work.

• Like 1

Wow that's so far out of left field it's crazy. But is it stupid crazy I'm not sure. One thing is for sure he is an elite athlete but not like an African American athlete who can jump run and mark better then Most making up for footy smarts and foot skills that are usually an essential part of afl football. This guy is deffently something diffirent but I can't see a game that I would assume he has never heard of being right up there on the things to do list.

I like the "absolutely left-field" thinking involved here, the master, but it is probably too big a hurdle to make. Think of that rugby bloke from Canada who now plays with Sydney (is it Pike?). Can we wait 4-5 years for Tebow to learn? The answer is no.

But I like your lateral thinking - Bertrand Russel and Edward de Bono would love your work.

• Like 1

I'd take peterson, watt, Matthews, Allen and the manning brothers ( their tv adds are funny) before tebow. But tebow may want to come to the dee's as the jets are a bigger basket case then us.

I like the "absolutely left-field" thinking involved here, the master, but it is probably too big a hurdle to make. Think of that rugby bloke from Canada who now plays with Sydney (is it Pike?). Can we wait 4-5 years for Tebow to learn? The answer is no.

But I like your lateral thinking - Bertrand Russel and Edward de Bono would love your work.

It's not about what he does on field. It's about developing some relevance in the AFL and world wide (and to really [censored] off the US haters) it's to bring in some swag to the MFC.

My first thought was "No! No! No! No!" Then I thought about how damn hard he works. And how even though he sucked for the better part of the game, dammit he came alive in the fourth quarter. Plus the guy's just got an uncanny knack for winning. And he just rode the bench for the Jets last year, so maybe they're looking unload him!

It's not about what he does on field. It's about developing some relevance in the AFL and world wide (and to really [censored] off the US haters) it's to bring in some swag to the MFC.

As an American and an NFL fan, I can attest he can't throw for [censored]. So, maybe he has hidden talent kicking the ball!

• Like 1

He sprays the ball throwing it, I shudder to think what he might be like kicking the thing lol

You forgot to mention the creepy tatoo Rex the head coach has of his wife dressed only in a t-shirt with the number of his starting Quarterback Sanchez on said t-shirt ewww....

The Jets are a soap opera lol

Love the left field thinking and it did give me a chuckle.

• Like 1

As an American and an NFL fan, I can attest he can't throw for [censored]. So, maybe he has hidden talent kicking the ball!

Considering his directional radar is gonski, I reckon he would be worse lol

Considering his directional radar is gonski, I reckon he would be worse lol

Yeah, I was just thinking with as bad as his throws are, could his kicks really be that much worse? Even if his kicks are half as bad as his throws he might still be a better kick than some people who have played this year.

• Like 1

I just like that one of the few NFL players I've heard of is apparently terrible.

He is from all accounts a solid bloke who has strong christian beliefs, who has become a symbol. His fame is totally out of whack with his actual football ability lol

Okay, here's what i'm thinking now. So, i'm a journalist and cover a university football team here in the states. There's a kid on the team who played as punter/strong safety on defense. He led the nation in punt distance, with an average of nearly 60 yards per punt. He kicked multiple punts over 70 yards last year. Also since he's a strong safety on defense he's got great tackling skills. So, the plan is, i'll either convince him this is what he needs to do or if worse comes to worse i'll kidnap him. Its for the good of the team. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Okay, here's what i'm thinking now. So, i'm a journalist and cover a university football team here in the states. There's a kid on the team who played as punter/strong safety on defense. He led the nation in punt distance, with an average of nearly 60 yards per punt. He kicked multiple punts over 70 yards last year. Also since he's a strong safety on defense he's got great tackling skills. So, the plan is, i'll either convince him this is what he needs to do or if worse comes to worse i'll kidnap him. Its for the good of the team. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Send him down. He's got speed, strength and kicking. Any idea what his endurance is like. And what height is he. Preferably 6 foot or above and he's good to go for Casey reserves backline.

He'll do.

Not sure about his endurance, that may be the only problem. He is 6'4 so that shouldn't be an issue. Is it sad that there's part of me seriously considering bringing this up to him the next time i run into him?

Not at all.

Show him a video of Buddy and tell him 'that could be you'.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.